MicroMillions structure quality

• Erniastukas
      Erniastukas
      Bronze
      I'm interested what more experienced MTT players think about most Micro millions tournaments structure. You know: huge player pools, 120 minutes extended registration, etc.

How it affects EV? Are most of the entries worth playing and given what conditions? Any strategy adjustments suggested?

I find it really hard to reach ITM with still having a playable stack.
  • 3 replies
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      I am definitely NOT an "experienced MTT player".

I asked a similar question in the Tournaments Strategy forum about the late registration.

I played in Event 25, (the "ante up") and by the time 2 hours had past, people registering were getting max 2 orbits on their opening stack.

Even so, people were still registering !

As we approached 2nd break, I was watching the numbers, and people were busting out just about as fast as they were registering -- I can't help wondering how many of those were people had just regged.

I try to play MTTs "small ball" style -- steal blinds, pick up small pots and try to keep my stack near average. (Sounds great, but I usually don't make it ITM).

This strategy is impossible if you reg so late you start with only 1/3 avg stack.

Cheers,
      --VS
    • Erniastukas
      Erniastukas
      Bronze
      Was the question so hopeless :] , regarding the answers ?

The idea was - poker is a game of addaptation (you play tight against loose, loose against tight and so on). So in theory, MTT structure shouldn't matter as long as you're capable to adapt and get all possible value out of it. False? Why?
    • gavinonymous
      gavinonymous
      Bronze
      I played a couple early morning ones and they seemed fine. The rebuys were intense, people pumping in money for stacks like crazy. I've never seen 185k rebuys in one tourney before.

I managed to ITM, and only took 3 hours, so not so bad. They are good tournaments IMO, but they are so popular they have no overlay, except from all the bad players busting each oher. I think pokerstars did a nice job, there's a lot of variety, but they could do even better bu adding some % to whatever the total prize pool comes to. That would make it absolutely stellar.

It's great to be able to play in high prize pool tourneys without going out of BRM.

I especially liked the Big Game format tourney, even though I was busted out earlyish.

tl;dr Some overlay would be nice, but plenty of really poor players provides lots of that. Big prizes for cheap entry.