[NL20-NL50] Nl50sh J9s

• jachis
      jachis
      Bronze
      PartyGaming - $0.50 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

SB: $56.04 (VPIP: 22.95, PFR: 19.63, 3Bet Preflop: 10.17, Hands: 896)
      BB: $58.37
      UTG: $50.00
      MP: $76.22
      CO: $96.88
      Hero (BTN): $80.43

SB posts SB $0.25, BB posts BB $0.50

Pre Flop: (pot: $0.75) Hero has J:spade: 9:spade:

fold, fold, fold, Hero raises to $1.10, SB raises to $3.40, fold, Hero calls $2.30

Flop: ($7.30, 2 players) 4:diamond: 7:spade: A:spade:
      SB bets $4.00, Hero calls $4.00

Turn: ($15.30, 2 players) 6:club:
      SB checks, Hero bets $9.00, SB calls $9.00

River: ($33.30, 2 players) 3:diamond:
      SB checks, Hero bets $22.50

Villain actually 3bets only 8% SBvsBTN (3/40) but because of his small sizing I call. His cbet 3b flop 62%, 0% cbet turn (0/3), ch/f turn 50%. Does barreling the river make sense? I think he can have TT-KK OTT aswell as bunch of Ax as he has not barreled the turn yet, so I guess not the gratest spot to bet the river.

Would it make more sense to bet river if I didnt have a flushdraw and river was a spade?
  • 7 replies
    • immot
      immot
      Bronze
      I like to 4bet more on these situations (to broaden my range, have initiation). As played, I'd raise on flop.
    • jachis
      jachis
      Bronze
      I preffer some Ax or Kx hands for my 4bet bluffs as they block villains value range better.

Why would you raise flop? I think by raising flop I would rep exactly what I have as I wouldnt raise any Ax, Im not flatiing 44 and probably not even 77, maybe I sometimes flat A4s.
    • immot
      immot
      Bronze
      Being a villain and holding weak Ax, pockets, bluffs I wouldn't continue with my hand (unless I wanted to shove, in what case hero has easy fold imo). I don't know if it's right or wrong but sometimes I feel that raising flop is cheaper way to bluff than firing barrels.
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      preflop i think our hand is not as good as it looks.
      if we had pp, i think there would be value in setmining vs his sizing and not-so-wide range.

on the flop yeah, i wouldn't expect to get a lot of credit so to begin i'd raise like sets only.
      def betting turn, river is meh, our value range doesn't seem to be very wide.
      i think half pot should give us a better risk/reward, or just giving up should be fine too, i have been seeing quite a lot of weakish Ax in these spots.
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Hey Jachis,

Preflop call is ok vs a wide 3better. Should be very close to the bottom of your range though - not a mandatory defend even against a 8%. Usually I don't overly concern myself with sizing and the pre-flop price. Far more important is implieds/reverse-implieds since most of the winnings/losses are going to occur postflop.

I would definitely float the flop.

I would definitely bet the turn.

I'd probably just check the river here. Turn bet is probably profitable against the majority of players; but the river we can't really tell without info. Villain probably has some sort of showdown value, and he's quite possibly not folding to a river bet.

The hand is profitable up until this point, if you can't say for certain whether a river barrel is profitable, check back and take a note of which holding he took this line with. No need to destroy what long-run EV you made here by potentially spewing river.
    • jachis
      jachis
      Bronze
      Cool, makes sense, that we check back and see what hand villain had, his probably never folding Ax and if he has worse we take note and next time we are more likley to bet the river, right?
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Originally posted by jachis
      Cool, makes sense, that we check back and see what hand villain had, his probably never folding Ax and if he has worse we take note and next time we are more likley to bet the river, right?
      Yup, sounds good :)