[NL20-NL50] NL25 FR 3b IP got cold called

• AlvisR
      AlvisR
      Bronze
      Villain 158hands 21/8 3b 0 folds to flop cbet 73%

it looks like flop kinda hit villains hand.

$0.10/$0.25 No Limit Holdem
      PokerStars
      9 Players
      Hand Conversion Powered by weaktight.com

Stacks:
      UTG ($23.38) 94bb
      UTG+1 ($9.65) 39bb
      MP1 ($25.80) 103bb
      MP2 ($17.75) 71bb
      MP3 ($10) 40bb
      Hero (CO) ($25.35) 101bb
      BTN ($24.05) 96bb
      SB ($25) 100bb
      BB ($10.51) 42bb

Pre-Flop: ($0.35, 9 players) Hero is CO K K
      4 folds, MP3 raises to $0.75, Hero raises to $2.18, BTN calls $2.18, 2 folds, MP3 folds

Flop: 5 2 4 ($5.46, 2 players)
      Hero bets $2.50, BTN calls $2.50
      Villain 158 hands 21/8 3bet 0 folds on flop cbet 73

Turn: 7 ($10.46, 2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN bets $1.75, Hero ??
  • 5 replies
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Hey,

Why the <1/2 pot cbet on flop? Why does flop hit villain's hand? Villain is cold calling a 3bet, what range do you give him for that? Now compare that to the flop and your hand. Think about that and then check out the spoiler.

I think you are giving your opponent an incorrect range. He cold called a 3bet so his range mostly consists of medium pairs and some good suited broadways, maybe medium suited connectors. That flop doesn't hit that range as much that your KK is not good. Cbet bigger and shove good turns. That is one of the good turns for you. He has many more pairs than made flushes that call it off.
    • AlvisR
      AlvisR
      Bronze
      ok lets make villains range: JJ+ AK AQ some suited broadways (i don`t think small suited connectors would cold call in this situation preflop) Ok board is pretty low and none of hands hit yet. But how to make sure if villain has drawing hand in here whats the best play? Just to not give him odds to see turn hand? so my flop cbet size should be like 75%+ of pot? if he still calls what to do on turn when he hits flush (if we think he is trying to play draws like that) ? what to do on turn? Most of the time he will not complete draws ofcourse, and our big cbet should be +ev but if we check turn and he bets - doesnt matter bet size. What is the best action for us to do? minraise? call or fold?
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      I think 65% on flop is fine.. you bet <50% which is quite low for any texture in a 3bet pot where you want to leverage stacks.

You don't know he has a drawing hand, it doesn't matter what specific hand he has, always consider all his range. He has so many pairs that have 2 outs, it's ashame to not stack them imo. When he hits a flush on the turn you run into a flush but are still ahead of his range. It's always ranges. Your play should be to barrel turn or check/shove if you know he floats a lot and tries to take it down on the turn. If you shove you still can represent a draw.. If you minraise you just look like fancy playing a strong hand.
    • AlvisR
      AlvisR
      Bronze
      Apologizes for asking so many questions on this hand.

Like a week ago i talked with winning player (7bb/100 @ nl25 FR lifetime) and we discussed about bet sizing in 3bet pots, he told me 1/2 of pot is good sizing, but i did not get why such a weird sizing. usually i cbet 60-70% of pot when i raise and have callers. In which cases shall i cbet 1/2 pot sized bets? Or is it bad in general to have such wierd sizing? OK i aggree with thing that i wanna get stacks in with this hand, so I should bet the right amount to get stacks in till river.
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      It's OK to ask. It's worse to not ask..

Anyway, there's no standard.. BUT

In 3bet pots, if you cbet about 1/2 pot you can ship river without overbetting. However, texture matters. You might want to leave more or less up until river so then you alter you sizing based on your range, the board and stack sizes. In some cases, you also want to avoid your opponent getting away so you can just pot it even in 3bet pot (because he just calls everything) or you want to induce so then you might bet <1/2 pot, like 1/4 pot.