Is the "good LAG" player a myth?

• suaveplayer
      suaveplayer
      Bronze
      Ever since I started playing poker I heard about this creature, the loose aggressive player who seems to read souls around the poker tables of the world.

I have always wondered what is this "magic" that such creature possesses that allows him to accomplish the unaccomplishable and win playing a lot of bad hands as well as good hands.

But so far, I´ve never seen a video in which the coach is definitely a LAG player, they are clearly TAGs, some tighter than others. But the one player making magical reads and bluffs and giving a explanation for that, nope, never seen, not even once.

Perhaps this player is as real gollems or vampires :f_biggrin: .
  • 16 replies
    • Gentari
      Gentari
      Global
      pleno1

check out his Wednesday coaching and replay on twitch.tv

I suspect this is what you are looking for ;)
    • RasTweet
      RasTweet
      Bronze
      Hey suaveplayer!

I just moved the thread.

And like gentari said our very own Pleno1 plays a rather laggy style. Check out his coaching, you'll be stunned!

Thanks for helping out Gentari! :f_love:

RasTweet
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      I kinda feel like a good LAG was a term to describe a good TAG when most ppl were still nits.
    • suaveplayer
      suaveplayer
      Bronze
      Originally posted by NightFrostaSS
      I kinda feel like a good LAG was a term to describe a good TAG when most ppl were still nits.
      Yes, actually the thread is a joke.

It is just that I found funny the fact of such player being described when no one legitimately playing lots of bad hands is actually a winning player.
    • RasTweet
      RasTweet
      Bronze
      Originally posted by suaveplayer
      It is just that I found funny the fact of such player being described when no one legitimately playing lots of bad hands is actually a winning player.
      Well it all depends what you mean with lots of hands. I'm playing 20/18 or something. I consider that as a TAGish style. But Pleno who is playing 30/28 or something (I'm guessing here but I don't think I'm too far off) I consider a LAG. And all of us know that Pleno is a winning player.

Regards

RasTweet
    • RedStarUltras
      RedStarUltras
      Bronze
      Durrrr
    • Benm473
      Benm473
      Bronze
      Isildur
    • suaveplayer
      suaveplayer
      Bronze
      I´m not really sure Durr and Isuldur are actual lags.

We do not have access to their hand histories to know if they actually play lag.

There are one or another hand that we´ve seen on TV that they might have made a bluff (with a bad hand) and it worked, but that´s not necesserily how they play all the time.
    • dannywratten
      dannywratten
      Gold
      Originally posted by suaveplayer
      I´m not really sure Durr and Isuldur are actual lags.

We do not have access to their hand histories to know if they actually play lag.

There are one or another hand that we´ve seen on TV that they might have made a bluff (with a bad hand) and it worked, but that´s not necesserily how they play all the time.
      I recall some threads on 2+2 where people were talking about playing vs durrrr when he started at low/mid stakes or whatever. Most with decent sample size were saying that his VPIP was 40+% & nearly impossible to play against OOP.. Seems pretty laggy to me :D
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      That was back at party times, when no one knew how to play anyway. Especially not at /low/mid stakes.

Not sure about pleno, judging from his NL200 zoom vid he played what I consider a solid TAG.
    • Benm473
      Benm473
      Bronze
      Although we don't have access to Isildur's hand histories etc just by watching a match that they play in its possible to see that they fold very very rarely and can make massive bluffs on horrible boards and brilliant call downs.
    • ninuu
      ninuu
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Benm473
      Although we don't have access to Isildur's hand histories etc just by watching a match that they play in its possible to see that they fold very very rarely and can make massive bluffs on horrible boards and brilliant call downs.
      Excuse me I may be wrong, but I really don't think poker tv shows are showing all the hands they play, they only show hands that are interesting, the hands that catches the eyes so it won't be boring for the viewer.
    • dannywratten
      dannywratten
      Gold
      Originally posted by ninuu
      Originally posted by Benm473
      Excuse me I may be wrong, but I really don't think poker tv shows are showing all the hands they play, they only show hands that are interesting, the hands that catches the eyes so it won't be boring for the viewer.
      I think he is talking about railing them online. I may also be wrong though :D
    • Benm473
      Benm473
      Bronze
      Yeap watching the online games. The bigger games tend to be more interesting than the nitty small stakes :)
    • Benm473
      Benm473
      Bronze
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0C9DbUW_MSI

I guess you might be able to categorise the 33 hand as a borderline TAG maybe and I don't know if this qualifies as being a GOOD lag or someone just messing around with what to them is an absolutely meaningless amount of money. I do know that Isildur loves river bluffs/overbets with value hands.
    • Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      Durrrr and Isildur definitely play a LAG style judging from the amount of hands we see them play when railing, unless they are eternally lucky in that they always get dealt premium hands.