Some questions about SSS/MSS

• Fr4nR
      Fr4nR
      Bronze
      Hello everyone,
      Now that I have read the basic and bronze articles and played around 750 hands I found some things I'd like to ask a question about.

Q1:When buy-in at lower limit I cannot buy-in for less than €1,00 (NL2). Does that mean I need a higher BR to move up a limit? €75 rather than €50?

Q2: It is also suggested that you pocket winnings and leave the room to protect you. Unfortunately Poker770 punishes you for doing so - if you return to the same table before the timer resets you must buy-in the same amount you left with. Or, you can look for other rooms, but there aren't that many rooms to choose from, especially when playing more than 1 room at a time. Should I still leave, and simply take a break for 2 hours and than continue? Or play on and muster enough discipline to not burn it all at the table?

Q3: I was also told to not play at the € tables, but at the $ tables because they're more profitable. I guess it's because there are simply more tables available - but with the rake and currency conversation rates I'm not sure if this is truly the case. Should I continue to play on the € tables or move to the $?

Q4: I also noticed that the € rooms have a lot more 6-max tables and only a few 9-max tables (though in evening a few more 9/9 pop up, but not a whole lot). The guide tells me to try and play with 9-max tables or sets a minimum of 7 other players. Should I skip the 6-max tables entirely or are they ok to play and is it ok to pretend 3 players folded and remove the early positions?

Sorry for all the newbie questions, though I'm sure I'll have more as I read more :) Thanks in advance,

best regards,

Francisca (updated. added the limit I play at, thanks Kyle)
  • 2 replies
    • justkyle88
      justkyle88
      Bronze
      Hey Fr4nR,

How are you finding the SSS/MSS strategy?

It's been a while since I've played these two strategy's but I'll have a crack at answering your questions to the best of my ability, maybe some SSS/MSS pros could help me answer :)

Q1:When buy-in at lower limit I cannot buy-in for less than €1,00. Does that mean I need a higher BR to move up a limit? €75 rather than €50?

What limit are you playing?

Q2: It is also suggested that you pocket winnings and leave the room to protect you. Unfortunately Poker770 punishes you for doing so - if you return to the same table before the timer resets you must buy-in the same amount you left with. Or, you can look for other rooms, but there aren't that many rooms to choose from, especially when playing more than 1 room at a time. Should I still leave, and simply take a break for 2 hours and than continue? Or play on and muster enough discipline to not burn it all at the table?

At smaller sites you may have to take a break to be able to sit down with the buy-in you require because yes they usually do have a time limit where you can't Rathole.
      Think it of a etiquette thing.
      You may want to look at some of our other POKER ROOMS so you don't have to take breaks.

Q3: I was also told to not play at the € tables, but at the $ tables because they're more profitable. I guess it's because there are simply more tables available - but with the rake and currency conversation rates I'm not sure if this is truly the case. Should I continue to play on the € tables or move to the $?

If you table select well then I don't think either currency should be a problem, we want to search for fish and if there is fish on the Euro tables then I wouldn't have a problem with it.

Q4: I also noticed that the € rooms have a lot more 6-max tables and only a few 9-max tables (though in evening a few more 9/9 pop up, but not a whole lot). The guide tells me to try and play with 9-max tables or sets a minimum of 7 other players. Should I skip the 6-max tables entirely or are they ok to play and is it ok to pretend 3 players folded and remove the early positions?

When I was playing SSS, I made a ton of $$$s from the 6max tables but its a slightly more aggressive strategy.
      I'd suggest to try stick to the 9max table and leave when there is only <7 players left like the strategy says until you become more confident with the strategy.

Hope I answered your questions OK.

Regards,

Kyle.
    • Fr4nR
      Fr4nR
      Bronze
      Originally posted by justkyle88
      Hey Fr4nR,

How are you finding the SSS/MSS strategy?
      Very easy to use preflop, but post flop I need to study more, because that's where I make most mistakes. I printed out the guide, but I'm not always remembering when I have an overpair, or whether I have a very strong or monster hand. I'll get there.

Q1:When buy-in at lower limit I cannot buy-in for less than €1,00. Does that mean I need a higher BR to move up a limit? €75 rather than €50?

What limit are you playing?
      Lowest one, NL2 - the 0.01/0.02 thingy.

MSS Buy-in Chart
      Limit Buy-in Minimum Maximum
      NL2 $0.80 $0.60 $1

According to the chart I should buy in for €0,80, but Poker770 requires a minimal buy-in of €1.

At smaller sites you may have to take a break to be able to sit down with the buy-in you require because yes they usually do have a time limit where you can't Rathole.
      Think it of a etiquette thing.
      You may want to look at some of our other POKER ROOMS so you don't have to take breaks.
      I'm finding Poker770 to be one of the smaller sites, so what would be a good second site to use? Should I already be considering sites with rake back bonus at this point?

Originally posted by justkyle88 about whether or not OP should play at $ tables rather than € tables
      If you table select well then I don't think either currency should be a problem, we want to search for fish and if there is fish on the Euro tables then I wouldn't have a problem with it.
      Eeehmmm ... table select is a silver topic that I haven't been able to read until a few days ago hehe :) I'll check it out and see what's what. I've only been playing for about a week or so ...

When I was playing SSS, I made a ton of $$$s from the 6max tables but its a slightly more aggressive strategy.
      I'd suggest to try stick to the 9max table and leave when there is only <7 players left like the strategy says until you become more confident with the strategy.
      Well, during my day time there are usually only 6-max tables available so I usually have a mix of 9-max and 6-max tables. I started with one table, but that changed in 2 and 3 tables a few days later. I didn't do horribly. I ended up with roughly the same BR as I begin with 750 hands ago.

In the past when I played poker IRL, I would bust whatever I brought to the table. I haven't exactly been able to set up this 'pokerface', and I'm an easy read. So the fact that I got to break even playing online is a huge improvement - of course, the guide here helps a great deal as well. It helps me decide quickly and safely what to play and what not. I'm really enjoying myself.

Thanks for the help, I'll read through the silver section now and will start the beginner's course as well. I probably will sign up with a 2nd site that has a rake back option.

All the luck in the world,
      Francisca