[NL20-NL50] J8s

• witrenko
      Villain 47/6 after 20 hands so decided to defence my hand.
      I'm donk beting my top pair to get value from Tx, 88-99, Qx. On the turn if think that I've lost value should I bet something about 2.1$ and decided on bet sizing river ?

Cassava Poker $0.10/$0.20 No Limit Hold'em - 5 players
      DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

BTN: $20.55
      SB: $21.92
      Hero (BB): $41.94
      UTG: $38.53
      CO: $11.91

Pre Flop: ($0.30) Hero is BB with 8:club: J:club:
      2 folds, BTN raises to $0.52, 1 fold, Hero calls $0.32

Flop: ($1.14) T:diamond: 7:club: J:heart: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.77, BTN calls $0.77

Turn: ($2.68) 4:club: (2 players)
      Hero bets $1.54, BTN calls $1.54

River: ($5.76) 2:heart: (2 players)
      Hero bets $2.68, BTN calls $2.68

Final Pot: $11.12
      BTN mucks 5:heart: J:spade:
      Hero shows 8:club: J:club:
      Hero wins $10.57
      (Rake: $0.55)
  • 2 replies
    • DarkAwi
      I wouldn't defend passively J8s vs an unknown, generally it's a good hand for bluff 3bet vs regulars if they fold enough, otherwise I'd just fold if we know nothing about the villain that we can exploit postflop.

If you played it passively preflop, I'd stay passive postflop aswell, we have quite good bluffcather hand, TPWK+GS, but we probably don't have 3 streets valuebet, and we don't know how he react against donkbets, so I'd rather check/call than bet/fold, same on the turn, our equity improves, but still weak to bet/call, but we have a very good bluffcatcher, and good equity to improve.

As played I'd check/fold river, he doesn't seem someone who opens a really wide range, he rather limps with weak hands such as weaker Jx, that can call the river bet, and we don't have enough info to assume he calls 3 streets with 2nd pair or weaker.
    • EmanuelC16

Preflop call is OK. It's also a good hand to 3bet with but calling is not a mistake imo.

Postflop, I prefer check/calling like DarkAwi said. You have a very good bluffcatcher that gets you to showdown often because of its current value and its redraw. After you lead and get called, you can definitely consider checking turn because you rep a random air type hand that is giving up so you get him to bluff sometimes (no idea how much, we have no info, it's just a consideration of how your range is perceived). Betting is also +EV though, you have think value ofc.

River is etremely close. You can rep some busted draws so you might get called by Tx and 88, 99 type hands but at the same time, you also get called by quite a few better Jx hands. All the way, hand is played well, it's profitable imo but it might not be the most profitable way.