[NL2-NL10] Aces against fish on two pair board

• mrbeast87
      mrbeast87
      Bronze
      No Limit Hold'em $0.05/$0.10
      PokerStars
      9 players
      Formatted by pokercopilot.com - Mac OS X hand history analysis and tracking

Stacks:
      UTG - UTG ($10.22)
      UTG+1 - UTG+1 ($54.47) vpip 66 prf 29 af 1.5 # 94
      UTG+2 - UTG+2 ($10.00)
      MP - Hero ($15.94)
      MP2 - MP2 ($10.14)
      CO - CO ($10.00)
      BTN - BTN ($10.00)
      SB - SB ($10.00)
      BB - BB ($4.00)

Preflop: ($0.14, 9 players) Hero is MP with A:heart: A:club:
      1 fold, UTG+1 raises to $0.20, 1 fold, Hero raises to $0.90, 5 folds, UTG+1 calls $0.70

Flop: 9:spade: 9:heart: 6:heart: ($1.94, 2 players)
      UTG+1 bets $1.00, Hero raises to $3.90, UTG+1 calls $2.90

When villain donks I decided I had to protect my hand against draws, so I raised. But since villain's AF is so low, at this point I thought he had something.

Turn: 6:spade: ($9.74, 2 players)
      UTG+1 checks, Hero checks

This was the last card I wanted to see. Since I was afraid of the full house, I decided to check... But I think that in this spot I can extract value from weaker hands like TT-QQ and draws. Should I bet here? And how much?

River: 7:spade: ($9.74, 2 players)
      UTG+1 checks, Hero checks

At river I didn't think weaker hands would call a bet, so I just checked.
  • 3 replies
    • CptCap
      CptCap
      Bronze
      Like your pre-flop sizing, like your raise on the flop!

I think you should definitely bet the turn, you already say that that river is the last card you wanted to see. Then why don't you bet the turn behind if the board scares you?
      Also the turn is pretty good for extracting value from weaker pairs.
      Do you consider a 9 or a 6 to be in his range?

As played, don't you think A-high will call you on the river with a light-value bet? 88,TT-QQ?
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      i doubt UTG's 3bet-calling range would include any 6x hands OR 9x hands (besides 99) - especially since you block A9, so he'd have to be calling T9s or something in which case his range is EXTREMELY wide for a)opening UTG and b)calling a 3bet. i really think we should almost ignore this board because it just misses villain way too much. the problem is, we can't count on UTG knowing that it "misses us" too, and so it's tough to say what hands we actually get value from. but i still think value betting is fine - i think he'll probably call down light with TT-QQ and maybe he has some sort of FDs that might come along too. after all, how many 6x or 9x hands do you 3bet vs UTG?
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi MrBeast,

I think you misplayed this hand on the turn and river.

We shouldn't raise the flop "to protect" but rather for pure value and get protection as a side effect.

Turn is perfect because he almost never has 6x in his range except 66 so we should just bet to extra value from his overpairs which is the more likely hand in his range. We should look to play for stacks.