NL20 AA river fold(?)

• rollkin
      rollkin
      Bronze
      IPoker, $0.10/$0.20 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 5 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

Hero (BTN): $20.61 (103.1 bb)
      SB: $21.04 (105.2 bb)
      BB: $20.06 (100.3 bb)
      MP: $24.18 (120.9 bb)
      CO: $19.18 (95.9 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BTN with A A
      2 folds, Hero raises to $0.40, SB folds, BB calls $0.20

Flop: ($0.90) 8 T 4 (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.80, BB calls $0.80

Turn: ($2.50) 5 (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $2, BB calls $2

River: ($6.50) T (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $5, BB raises to $16.12, Hero folds

Results:
      $16.50 pot ($0.82 rake)
      Final Board: 8 T 4 5 T
      Hero mucked A A and lost (-$8.20 net)
      BB mucked and won $15.68 ($7.48 net)

What do you think about fold in this situation ? opp is 31/8 over 50 hands (small sample).

I do actually think he played this hand as a AT,KT
  • 8 replies
    • martinstids
      martinstids
      Bronze
      You got thi sitution becoue u opened 2bb only. So he could call with more trash hand and its harder to predict. Dont think so player with such stats can bluff you. Set is also valid. Eay fold imo
    • rollkin
      rollkin
      Bronze
      I open 2bb from btn always, so I don't get read out of my opening sizing.
    • spreeboy
      spreeboy
      Bronze
      It's unlikely that villain holds two pair or better since he would have re-raised on the flop or turn. Only possible hands a passive player plays this way are busted draws and flopped top pairs.

I think checking back river is way better to avoid tough spots like this. There are a lot of Tx in his range that he would float IMO.
    • spreeboy
      spreeboy
      Bronze
      Also, by betting the river, we hope that villain will ONLY call. A check-raise is a tough spot for us, and a fold obviously makes our big river bet useless.

However, there is almost no weaker hand that will just call your river bet here, since villain will likely 3bet KK,QQ,JJ preflop most of the time, esp that you only open very small in the BU. Therefor, betting does not accomplish much in this scenario.
    • zumpar
      zumpar
      Bronze
      yeah my default is also 2bb from BU, although if there is a fish on the BB i vary my sizings..

i open to 2bb with trash and 3bb with good hands (dont worry about the fish starting exploiting you or smth ;) )
    • noulispa
      noulispa
      Bronze
      Hey, I think he doesnt have sth like JJ-KK so we beat an 8x So maybe ch to let him bluff all his busted draws. Or bet small like 30-40% of pot to get called by sth really weak like 8x 99 . Sometimes he might got JJ but rare since he just called your min open from BU but its possible however i dont think he is raising the river with sth like JJ so folding is fine .
    • rollkin
      rollkin
      Bronze
      I think my big river bet here turns my value hand into bluff which makes no sense. As I played this hand I don't see any weaker hands calling me here. Any raise and almost any call crushes me. If replayed I would go for B/B/X.

About the preflop 2bb.

I think it's way better to play play my monster like this, to leave some place for recreational players to pull squeezes.
    • Scoob101
      Scoob101
      Black
      Against a fish in blinds, Id probably raise my whole BU opening range 3bb. Play on all street seems standard. Maybe betting River a bit smaller like 4,50 to even get calls from 5x, 66,77.

Definitely fold to his raise if he seemed to be passive!