[NL20-NL50] QQ 3bpot A flop

• Gonchan
      Gonchan
      Bronze
      Prima, $0.25/$0.50 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

Hero (BB): $51.10 (102.2 bb)
      UTG: $64.20 (128.4 bb)
      MP: $50.75 (101.5 bb)
      CO: $54.52 (109 bb)
      BTN: $60.35 (120.7 bb)
      SB: $49 (98 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q Q
      2 folds, CO raises to $1, 2 folds, Hero raises to $3.50, CO calls $2.50

Flop: ($7.25) 5 8 A (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO bets $1.75, Hero calls $1.75

Turn: ($10.75) 9 (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO checks

River: ($10.75) 8 (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO checks

Results:
      $10.75 pot ($0.53 rake)
      Final Board: 5 8 A 9 8
      Hero showed Q Q and lost (-$5.25 net)
      CO showed A T and won $10.22 ($4.97 net)

20/9/139

as basic, shoudl I check and once call even A high board?
  • 4 replies
    • cutegoldfish
      cutegoldfish
      Bronze
      I think we can throw in a cb to get value from middle pocket pairs. We also prevent a hand like KJ from bluffing us out of the pot.

Cgf
    • Gonchan
      Gonchan
      Bronze
      which is better, cb or c/c on this flop and why?
    • GingerKid
      GingerKid
      Black
      Originally posted by Gonchan
      which is better, cb or c/c on this flop and why?
      I think it depends on the opponent.

1) If you cbet, you can expect PP, and air to fold, because A high board is scare board for these hands in 3bet pots. If the opponent calls you, what do you do on turn? He could have fd against which you are ahead, or Ax, versus you are far behind. So on turn you have option bet again or check fold, or check call. River is the same problem.

2) If you check and opponent checks you can bet turn and maybe river (what weaker hand is calling 2 streets? ) If you check and opponent bets, you can bluff catch, but it depends if opponent is going to bluff bet again turn and river. So I would say against opponents who fold to your cbet, but would not bluff here you can check flop, and if he bluffs once and gives up you can check call.

I would for example make a note that in 3bet pot you play check call on A high board, and most people play this way either with Ax very weak kicker, or JJ-KK, so I usually bet bet shove river, and opponent is mostly unable to call since I could easily have Ax, sets...
      So I think it is the best cbet flop and give up turn.
    • cutegoldfish
      cutegoldfish
      Bronze
      It depends on the opponent mostly.

How does he play in 3betpot in position against 3bet? How wide is his range here? Does he barrel bluff on A high board often? Does he bet his flush draws and even when busted? Does he call weaker pocket pairs on Ax boards? Does he float on Ax boards to try to take it away? The questions go on and on

In general the idea is if he likes to bluff we get value from bluff catching but if he's straight forward we don't want to give him so many chances to bluff so we just bet immediately and if he calls he either has Ax or middle pockets and only Ax is firing and the rest would check back.