[NL2-NL10] Nl10 Sh - TPMK x paired board on turn and river

• Tosh5457
      Titan Poker 0.10/0.20, hand converted by the iPoker Converter at Talking-Poker

saw flop

Button keaneping ($4.89)
      SB Hero ($10.25)
      BB firstrace ($5.80)
      UTG popeyeaddy ($1.56)
      UTG+1 Emperor8889 ($10.38)
      CO Svobodenho ($8.37)

Preflop: Hero is in the SB with 8:club: K:heart:
      popeyeaddy checks, 3 folds, Hero calls 0.05, firstrace checks.

Flop (0.30) 4:spade: T:diamond: K:spade:
      Hero bets 0.25, 1 fold, popeyeaddy calls 0.25.

Turn (0.80) 4:club:
      Hero bets 0.60, popeyeaddy calls 0.60.

River (2.00) T:heart:
      Hero checks, popeyeaddy moves all-in for 0.61, Hero calls 0.61

I completed the SB because K8o is not a bad hand, but I think I should have raised. I'm oop though...

On the flop I obviously had to bet.

I don't think he'd call with 4x and even if he did he might have Kx and 8x too so I keep betting. Although here it might have been better to just check for pot control, but then there's the FD too so I betted...

On the river it's standard, check/call.

Pretty standard play or should I check on the turn?
  • 3 replies
    • LuckFactorX
      my opinion is that raising before the flop after UTG popeyeaddy limps in is not a good play IMO. you want people to define theyr hands so a raise is made to accomplish that but there are 2 problems that point to a more sceptic approach:
      1. your hand. K8 off suit is... in fact... a weak hand and logic says that you want to raise your good hands and check/fold the weak hands
      2. POSITION. if he calls your raise you will be out of position for the rest of the hand and you should avoid playing put of position for the obvious reasons

regarding checking the turn... the 4 :club: is a relative safe card for your hand, so if you were ahead on the flop you probably are ahead now too. my play is to try to keep the pot as small as possible with top pair weak kicker and the turn is just the place to start doing that as your hand becomes more a bluff catcher that a real valuable hand. in fact, checking here may provide you with some information about your opponents hand. if you bet and he calls what does that tell you? preety much squadoosh; he could be on a flush draw, he could have 2-nd pair and he could be on a straight draw.

with your bet on the turn.. you managed to get your opponent commited to this pot. whatever the card on the river.. all his money is going in nomatter what you do. that is certainly not what you want with top pair weak kicker.

as for the flush draw, if he had it you'd be a 4 to 1 favourite to win the hand on the turn so a free card here is not that big of a mistake. check on the turn and (considering his action after you check) if a :spade: hits on the river.. check/call or even fold if you read him for a flush. remember that you hand is, in fact preety weak by itself. you'll have better spots for making money than this one.
    • Tosh5457
      He didnt limp pf, he put a blind oop and checked so his range is any2.

On the turn I wasnt afraid of a FD, I simply wanted to get value of a draw. Pot control here could be better though. On the river obviously I had to call.
    • Kaitz20
      COmpleting with K8 is marginal. I like to fold, since you won´t flop often enough good enough hand to make limping profitable.
      Put shortstack all-in on the river. You have most of the time best hand.