question about AK

• adr0001
      adr0001
      Bronze
      In the article "Your strategy when you have lots of chips" it says that you should only call with AK when there is a raise in front. From what I understand you should play fit or fold after the flop with AK. Is playing fit or fold really profitable? You will only hit a pair 33% of time. And there is no guarantee your opponent will pay you more than a c-bet when you hit TP.
  • 7 replies
    • hyppolito
      hyppolito
      Bronze
      Theory about AK:

"AK: Or you win a small pot, or you loose a big one".

Cheers,

Thiago Hyppolito
    • Gonira
      Gonira
      Gold
      i strongly disagree with just calling with AK. since it is a premium hand, i usually reraise with it. it's stronger, since you can win the pot pre-flop or doing a continuation bet in a flop that doesn't improve your hand. and i disagree with hyppolito's theory too, it applies better to aces and kings, cos they're very difficult hands to throw away after the flop. AK is weaker but safer, i think.

btw, there is a world class brazilian gymnast with your name, thiago. is it you? :D
    • adr0001
      adr0001
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Gonira
      i strongly disagree with just calling with AK. since it is a premium hand, i usually reraise with it. it's stronger, since you can win the pot pre-flop or doing a continuation bet in a flop that doesn't improve your hand.
      Then why that article says to only call with AK? In the cash articles it says to 3bet with AK. I don't understand why at cash you should 3bet AK and at SNGs only call.

and i disagree with hyppolito's theory too, it applies better to aces and kings, cos they're very difficult hands to throw away after the flop. AK is weaker but safer, i think.
      I think usually in SNGs it's a mistake to throw away aces and kings(if the board doesn't have an ace). That's more of a cash game problem, where the stacks are deeper. Also an overpair is a disguised hand. Top pair isn't. So I think KK and AA are much better than AK.
    • hyppolito
      hyppolito
      Bronze
      btw, there is a world class brazilian gymnast with your name, thiago. is it you? :D
      Actually, the name of the gymnast is Diego Hipólito and I don't know him. But I'm used to this question in Brazil. Some years ago was his sister that was doing great and everyone asked me if it was a cousin or a relative...

Now he is on the news and I can't tell my name to a customer service attendant on the phone that they start asking if I'm the gymnast...

I hear sometimes: "It's a great pleasure talking to you..." or nowadays "Good luck on Beijing!"

Cheers,

Thiago (not Diego) Hyppolito
    • SharkySmurf
      SharkySmurf
      Bronze
      you have to raise with ak imo, though if iv'e had two raisers b4 me i'd flat call, and if i didn't thit anything at all then i would fold to a cont bet, but if they checked it out i would try and steal it.

But say you have raised preflop first, and you get a couple of limpers, you have to think what they would call with, what would you call with, i know i would only call with a bigish hand or a nice pp 99+ so in this case if im not hitting, and the cont bet does not work, im offski
    • douglasjastewart
      douglasjastewart
      Bronze
      10 times in the last 2 days I've been on the bubble with less than 5 big blinds left and went all in with AK and have lost all of them. It really knocks your confidence of that kind of hand.
    • Tosh5457
      Tosh5457
      Bronze
      It depends on your position, you can call IP and 3bet oop. Theorically a raise would make hands like KJ, weak aces fold, but pratically they call with any ace and KJ is like nuts, so you can 3bet.