hu4rollz (in company of heroes) :p
    • helemaalnicks
      helemaalnicks
      Bronze
      Originally posted by TerrorBlade
      Originally posted by helemaalnicks
      Company of Heroes sux!
      no way that im playing that game ever again. Got it for free with my new pc, and completely wasted my time playing it. Never thought a game this new could have such horrible bugs in it.
    • Yoghi
      Yoghi
      Black
      Have you ever played a new game? Lots of games are full of bugs nowadays :(
    • TerrorBlade
      TerrorBlade
      Black
      Originally posted by TerrorBlade
      Company of Heroes sux!
      no way that im playing that game ever again. Got it for free with my new pc, and completely wasted my time playing it. Never thought a game this new could have such horrible bugs in it.
      Did you patch it? It's really quite an amazing game, just a bit short of a masterpiece, shown by it's 93 metacritic rating. The multiplayer is great too.
    • helemaalnicks
      helemaalnicks
      Bronze
      Did you patch it? It's really quite an amazing game, just a bit short of a masterpiece, shown by it's 93 metacritic rating. The multiplayer is great too.
      LMFAO. Yes ofcourse I patched it. That was horrible bug nr.1. It was a nice afternoon, perfect for playing videogames, so I thought, let's give this game a shot. Im not interested in multiplayer at all, so when it asked if I wanted to download patch I thought "meeh, I wanna play, feck the patch for now". Nope, you can't play singleplayer without the patch either. So download -> game quits -> install, and I thought I was ready to play. Started game again, but had to download/install ANOTHER patch.

To make a long story long, but at least a bit shorter: about 20 patches later, for a total ~600mb download, I could finally start playing single player. Had to restart the game after EVERY patch, and the whole thing took me ages.

But hey, at least now I could play. Since I play games mainly because of the single player mode, I started playing campaign. First couple of missions was no problem at all. I played the second campaign btw, because the name "market garden" didnt appeal to me. I guess it reminds me of dusty dutch museums, plus, the whole "operation" didnt make that much sense since the war was already practically over once it started.

Anyway, at some point the missions got slightly tougher. I noticed there are defense missions and attacking missions. The smart game developers @ thq thought it would be a good idea if you get the units in a mission, which you still had in the mission before. This concept worked great in all time classic "dark omen", and couldve worked out in "Rome total war", a shitty game, but only shitty because its waaaaaaaaaaay to easy.

So I proceeded in the campaign, and it was fairly easy, untill I had to play a defense mission, right after I finished an attacking mission (I had to defend hill 112, after just capturing it). Capturing the hill was easy. I just bought a zillion tanks, and messed the whole place up. But, since I didnt loose any units, I started the defensive mission with my population capped, and about 14 tanks as an army. So defending was impossible, and I needed more infantry for this mission. So I had to play previous mission again, and lose units on purpose, so I could buy infantry at the end of the mission. This was still ok, except that I had to repeat this for EVERY MISSION THAT FOLLOWED.

I had to replay ~4 or 5 missions, I already won, but where I again finished the game with the wrong units. The last mission I played was mission 8 on campaign 2, where I had to defend some city, and got only heavy armor to defend with. At this point, I was so fed up with the game, I already quitted playing.

Dont get me wrong, I think the genre IS actually for me, I like the concept behind rts with realistic, but simple units in a game with which you simulate actual warfare, but the fact that I have to anticipate missions that still have to come, while there is no way for me to know what this next mission is going to be is such total nonsense imo, that the single player mode is unplayable. That is definitely a reason for me not to play a game. What I also dislike, is the fact that everytime i tried to play a single player game, the game is trying to let me feel guilty for not playing online. Since I think playing online is only an option for superawesome games (I only played age of empires 2 and red alert 2 online so far) I didnt want to play online until I knew the game was good. This ofcourse, because if I play online, Im playing side by side with the douchebags I beat everyday @ poker, and b/c playing pc games online is only for nerds (which I am, but im not THAT bad, so I only play very good games online, and only on rare occasions). But every time I started a game it said sometin like "why play single player if you can play with your friends online?". Well, b/c I want to, ffs, it's MY game, why cant I decide to play single player if I want to????

Im now trying to see if the competeting game is better (world in conflict) and so far it does.

It has better:
      1. graphics
      2. storyline
      3. multiplayer mode

and ofcourse, its better suited for newbs (like me) and it seems bugfree. I dont see how CoH has anything to add tbh.

So, there you go, it's a shitty game b/c of all kinds of reasons, and I feel sorry for you youre still wasting your precious time with it ^^.
    • TerrorBlade
      TerrorBlade
      Black
      Ok I'll give you the patching issues, as I've had my fair share - and several months ago they implemented relic online authentication into LAN + singleplayer which is good for anti-piracy bad and frustrating for people with slow connections.

Anyway, I have a completely RTS background (warcrafts/starcraft/c&cs you name it I've played it) and although I've played the singleplayer campaigns for war3+tft I never do anymore as I'm only interested in the competitive online aspect, a reason for which I'm attracted to online poker (the competition).

I only played market garden up to I think mission 6-7 (the airborne one, it was damn fun too) and the only issue I had was one of the missions the final objective became impossible to complete or something if you did some objectives out of order, and a simple restart fixed that, so I can't say anything about your experience cause I've never played it though I do know for a fact singleplayer is damn important for the customers (you got it for free so you don't count) as according to blizzard only 1/10 cd keys was activated on BNet for warcraft 3.

Basically your other issues are possibly oversights in the campaign design though I never ran into problems like yours, I can't understand how you can't defend a territory with "about 14" (!) tanks, as the only possible way to lose would be if they had programmed an attack by 20 AT guns into that mission. Also as you lose the tanks in the defend mission don't you have a forward base of some sort to build some infantry to replace them? Again a full pop limit of tanks obviously rapes enemy tank armies + would pwn AT infantry cause of the sheer number of them.

On the whole I play multiplayer exclusively and am only concerned with balance issues in the game and basically if you weren't a fish at RTS then you wouldn't have had trouble with the campaign :D

I don't consider RA2 to be on par with CoH in any way shape or form, it's definitely the best RTS to be released in the past few years and should be definitely in WCG before C&C 3: Horrible Rehash...SC/WC3 any day for competitive gaming...And what I've heard about WiC is it's good at best, and the multiplayer aspect is lacking the spark that makes games like WC3 & SC still be played competitively 5 (or 10) years after they're released.

Maybe I can send you some replays so it isn't too hard on ya ;)
    • helemaalnicks
      helemaalnicks
      Bronze
      "about 14" (!) tanks, as the only possible way to lose would be if they had programmed an attack by 20 AT guns into that mission.

what about me having only sherman light tanks, and them rollin in with tigers? :D

I never do anymore as I'm only interested in the competitive online aspect

im not interested in playing online, b/c its with people i dont know, and I dont like that. Plus, im always too good vs newbiest newbs, and shit against better players. I also think (dont know if thats still the case) the people playing online are hardly fun. Usually flaming newbs (me :D ) or playing bad on purpose.

I played civ4 lately a couple of times vs a friend of mine, but I quitted that b/c we hardly ever finished a game (usually b/c he was doin bad), and I like finishing games, and I wanna be able to save game and quit, and an RTS multiplayer game can last quite a while, so me playing mp wouldnt even be fair for the other pple playing online.

Also as you lose the tanks in the defend mission don't you have a forward base of some sort to build some infantry to replace them?

nah, its a rather heavy attack, they came with loads and loads. So the infantry I build so I could dig in a bit with them, and be spare builders in the meantime.

and basically if you weren't a fish at RTS then you wouldn't have had trouble with the campaign

im a fish, sure, but I could beat the campaign. This just frustrates me. I mean, they couldve just given you a default army for every mission, would be much better imo. It feels as buggy as rome total war, a game that made no sense to me either.

should be definitely in WCG before C&C 3

C&C 3 sux, i agree.

But id like to see those replays ^^. Then I can see how good players play the game?

I dont mind if im not good at this game btw. Special abilities on units etc. is a bit too much for an old fellow like I am. I prefer simpler basics, like you got in the older rts games, or strategy board games like axis & allies or warhammer.