UTG ($3.23) 162bb
      UTG+1 ($2.94) 147bb
      CO ($1.31) 66bb
      BTN ($2.23) 112bb
      Hero (SB) ($1.09) 55bb
      BB ($4) 200bb

Pre-Flop: ($0.03, 6 players) Hero is SB 5:diamond: 5:spade:
      UTG raises to $0.07, 3 folds, Hero calls $0.06, 1 fold

Flop: 10:club: 5:heart: 2:heart: ($0.16, 2 players)
      Hero bets $0.10, UTG calls $0.10

Turn: 2:spade: ($0.36, 2 players)
      Hero bets $0.24, UTG calls $0.24

River: 9:club: ($0.84, 2 players)
      Hero goes all-in $0.68, UTG calls $0.68
  • 7 replies
    • kymupa
      kymupa
      Bronze
      Hello,

Preflop against a UTG raise I don't mind calling.

Why do we donk the flop? If we donk here, we don't give him a chance to bluff, which he is probably going to a lot on this board.

As played on the flop, turn and river are fine.

Best,
      Plamen
    • Cuvash
      Cuvash
      Bronze
      Originally posted by kymupa
      Hello,

Why do we donk the flop? If we donk here, we don't give him a chance to bluff, which he is probably going to a lot on this board.

Best,
      Plamen
      Why should i check/raise he most likely fold his strong range, and i won't extract any value from my set.
    • CPallo
      CPallo
      Bronze
      Check-raise is usually quite strong for villains, and they will fold anyway many of their hands and the hands that continue will call your 3 streets anyway. Hearts might kill the action for him, some broadways, too, so I think donking 3 streets here is definitely the right play when hero is 55bb deep.
    • kymupa
      kymupa
      Bronze
      When we check here, we can check/raise since we:
      - have 55bb stack which indicates weakness and people would be more inclined to stack off here
      - we can put the money in on the turn
      - we take value from his hands like AJ that are probably folding the flop against a donk.
    • CPallo
      CPallo
      Bronze
      But UTG might not bet that flop with overcards. Many times on NL2 people just check-back their broadways. Or bet and fold to raise. When we donk here he would most likely call with all his

a) draws and
      b) most of his overcards, many villain on this level are weak so they are likely to hunt for their pair. Not all, though, all stats on UTG are useful in this case. CH/raising takes away their chance to chase for a pair

Of course, when we check-raise:

a) we get max value from his Tx, overpairs, sometimes he might stack-off with a draw (but does he bet a draw?)
      b) We can jam it in 2 streets instead of 3, when we could lose some value on river, especially if he is put to a draw.

All in all, I think this could be played both ways to play +EV -game.
    • Cuvash
      Cuvash
      Bronze
      Originally posted by CPallo
      But UTG might not bet that flop with overcards. Many times on NL2 people just check-back their broadways. Or bet and fold to raise. When we donk here he would most likely call with all his

a) draws and
      b) most of his overcards, many villain on this level are weak so they are likely to hunt for their pair. Not all, though, all stats on UTG are useful in this case. CH/raising takes away their chance to chase for a pair

Of course, when we check-raise:

a) we get max value from his Tx, overpairs, sometimes he might stack-off with a draw (but does he bet a draw?)
      b) We can jam it in 2 streets instead of 3, when we could lose some value on river, especially if he is put to a draw.

All in all, I think this could be played both ways to play +EV -game.
      That's quite detailed explanation of everything , tnx for taking tou time CPallo :)
    • kymupa
      kymupa
      Bronze
      Well, in my opinion they will bet all the time with a draw here, so if they check back the flop, we aren't really scared to see a turn since the hands that check back here have close to 0 equity against us.

Also, we are not likely to take more than one street of value against overcards, so we can take it on the turn as well, if he checks back.

I wouldn't talk about balancing here, since on NL2 it isn't really a must-do think in order to win, but then we have to figure out what we are doing with the rest of our range - like draws, pockets, top pairs.

Overall, I am usually not a big fan in donking, especially in this spot, where the board is dry-ish and we are against a UTG raise.