[NL20-NL50] NL20 SH qjo

• wesly21
      wesly21
      Bronze
      Prima, $0.10/$0.20 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 5 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

Hero (SB): $38.50 (192.5 bb)
      BB: $30.99 (155 bb)
      MP: $39.27 (196.4 bb)
      CO: $23.85 (119.3 bb)
      BTN: $35.17 (175.9 bb)

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q J
      2 folds, BTN raises to $0.60, Hero calls $0.50, BB folds

Flop: ($1.40) 3 4 A (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN checks

Turn: ($1.40) J (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN bets $1.40, Hero calls $1.40

River: ($4.20) 2 (2 players)
      Hero bets $1.40, BTN folds

Results:
      $4.20 pot ($0.21 rake)
      Final Board: 3 4 A J 2
      Hero mucked Q J and won $3.99 ($1.99 net)
      BTN mucked and lost (-$2 net)

Anon table. Villain is reg. His turn bet just didn't seem right so i donk the river and folding to a raise. Think it is small value bet.

Maybe I done it wrong but hey there are you to tell me.
  • 3 replies
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Hi,

Preflop this deep it's close.. If BB is passive, calling is fine, otherwise, you have to 3bet or fold imo. I assume the games are passive enough to just call but pay attention to when that changes.

Postfop, I think flop and turn are OK but I dislike river lead. You represent exactly a weak Ax or Jx like you have. Your opponent might not be that good but you are very easily bluffed here imo. Apart from that, you don't acheive much with the bet: you make all his worse hands fold and you get called or raised by his better hands.. I don't expect him to fold any Ax so you are not doing well against his range. Sure, he doesn't have AK or a strong ace but A7 type hand doesn't fold either.
    • wesly21
      wesly21
      Bronze
      Yes, BB is very passive.

You are right I don't beat nothing and just calling for a bluff.

Guess a was scared of for his pot size bet on the river.

So let say I check that river (no reads on villian), calling 1/2 pot bet, probably 2/3 and folding to a pot size raise.

What is your opinion?

Thanks alot and sorry for my bad English. Hope I will improve it aswell as my poker play :D .
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      You can probably fold to any bet. The point is, you lose nothing when you check fold because he won't bluff often enough (your range can still contain Ax, 5x that will never fold). The problem is that when you bet, you just lose more money since you make him fold what would give up anyway and also put in more money against what would vbet itself and is better than your hand.

Keep this in mind: people bluff less than you want them to. That's what the average unknown will do. :)