[NL2-NL10] NL2 zoom. J-4s

• hvard92
      hvard92
      Bronze
      Against unknown

Pre Flop: Me(CO) with [J :diamond: ,4 :diamond:]
      Me(CO) raises 0.06, kuczay(BTN) calls 0.06, MazmanSL(SB) folds, texac0108(BB) folds

Flop: (8 :spade: ,T :heart: ,J :spade:) (2 players)
      Me(EP) bets 0.10, kuczay(BTN) calls 0.10

Turn: 4 :club: (2 players)
      Me(EP) bets 0.24, kuczay(BTN) calls 0.24

River: 2 :spade: (2 players)
      Me(EP) checks, kuczay(BTN) bets 0.48, Me(EP) calls 0.48

Final:
      kuczay(BTN) shows [8h,8c]
      Me(UTG) mucks [Jd,4d]
      kuczay(BTN) wins 1.73
  • 5 replies
    • kymupa
      kymupa
      Bronze
      Hello,

Preflop we have quite an easy fold with this hand here.

On the flop, cbetting is fine.

As played, since the turn brings us two pair, betting here is mandatory and I like your sizing.

Check/calling the river is by far the worst option here since we give him the opportunity to check back his weaker hands and only bet his better.
      I would bet here between 1/3 and 1/2 pot and fold to a raise.

Best,
      Plamen
    • hvard92
      hvard92
      Bronze
      Yes J4s is probably wrong to play. The reason why i chose to play this hand was to cbet and take it down since many players is calling alot with just connectors, suited connectors or suited hands and sometimes Q5o etc and play fit or fold and if a wet board would come i would just check/fold. I did practice on hands selection earlier. I learned that i could play Axs, Kxs in late position, so i'm playing Qxs and Jxs too. I have not fully understand why it's -EV. Is it some math behind this? That you can make money in the long run with Axs and Kxs, but not under that? As you can see i don't know much, but i appreciate if you could answer me this=)
    • CPallo
      CPallo
      Bronze
      As a beginner one should just focus on playing ABC poker. It includes playing good and strong starting hands. Why? They flop better. If we compare like AJ and J4, we can see the difference.

If flop comes J66rainbow, and we bet+villain calls, we might be way behind. His range that calls could be JT+ etc. And you would have to bet multiple streets and you never know whether you are ahead or not.

Usually one makes more mistakes with weak Jxs etc. hands than with KQ/AT etc. It's just better to play with stronger hand so we can cbet a lot and take down the pots. Sometimes we might even hit and get value from WORSE top-pairs and stuff :D
    • hvard92
      hvard92
      Bronze
      That was enough for me to stop playing J4s. Think i have to clean up my startinghandselections. I totally agree. And it's more comfortable to play when you have real hands too. It's probably one of the reasons why i'm just a very slight winner too. I've been on the same freakin limit for a year almost too. Anyways. Thank you!
    • kymupa
      kymupa
      Bronze
      Originally posted by CPallo
      As a beginner one should just focus on playing ABC poker. It includes playing good and strong starting hands. Why? They flop better. If we compare like AJ and J4, we can see the difference.

If flop comes J66rainbow, and we bet+villain calls, we might be way behind. His range that calls could be JT+ etc. And you would have to bet multiple streets and you never know whether you are ahead or not.

Usually one makes more mistakes with weak Jxs etc. hands than with KQ/AT etc. It's just better to play with stronger hand so we can cbet a lot and take down the pots. Sometimes we might even hit and get value from WORSE top-pairs and stuff :D
      I totally agree with this here.

Even very good players don't go down to J4s, since it has quite a low playability postflop, it is dominated and we could easily lose A LOT of money postflop with this hand.

I would strongly suggest you to stick up to the starting hands chart and if you want to go looser to change the ranges slightly.