DrDunne (UTG) ($10) 100bb
      UTG+1 ($4.31) 43bb
      CO ($15.36) 154bb
      BTN ($5.84) 58bb
      SB ($11.13) 111bb
      BB ($44.80) 448bb

Pre-Flop: ($0.15, 6 players) DrDunne is UTG 8:heart: A:heart:
      DrDunne raises to $0.30, 1 fold, CO calls $0.30, 3 fold

Flop: 3:heart: 2:club: K:heart: ($0.75, 2 players)
      DrDunne bets $0.52, CO calls $0.52

Turn: 7:diamond: ($1.79, 2 players)
      DrDunne checks..........

similar spot to my other hand i posted, but this time it's a single raised pot. i'd like to look at checkraising the turn.

villain seems like a regular, plays 24/22 and has bet IP vs missed turn cbet a few times that i remember, so he seems to be happy floating IP.

would this be a good spot to checkraise as a semibluff? there's a chance he could fold a Kx hand, he'll most likely fold a Tx hand, along with some small PPs that he turns into a bluff and the rest of his floats...

also, what sizing would you use? if he bets ~$1 i'd probably make it around $2.90 or something. is this okay?

finally, what would you suggest we do on the river if our checkraise gets called? my default play would be to just give up if i don't improve. but i can be pretty weak at times so i'm not sure if this is good...

thanks
  • 5 replies
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi DrDunne,

So, why are we investigating ck/raise the turn as a bluff or semibluff? Have you decided on your value range for such a spot?

These spots are very marginal at best at these limits because people don't actually fold that much (nor do they float as much you may think they do).

A lot of players, especially on stars, play as face up as they get.

Of course, if we were to semibluff ck/raise and get called what do you think his range would be? People don't bet TT and call the turn at these limits so it's either a draw or a Kx.

How would those react on the river (blank or not)?
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      hi - my value range would just be sets+ i suppose, although if they are capable of stabbing IP a lot then if they stab the river also i'd bet, x/c, x/ship...

i'm looking into this line because i was reading it in a strategy thread at 2+2 and then i realised i never take this line as a bluff. if it works once every 10k hands or so it might add a bb or 2 to my winrate if i can pick some good spots for it.

on the river im not too sure but i will need a plan for this. normally whenever i've tried this sort of thing before and failed, i've reached the next street with no plan so i just give up. something tells me that i should be prepared to ship the money in...

i suppose a much simpler way around this is just to fire a second barrel :rolleyes:
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by DrDunne
      hi - my value range would just be sets+ i suppose, although if they are capable of stabbing IP a lot then if they stab the river also i'd bet, x/c, x/ship...

i'm looking into this line because i was reading it in a strategy thread at 2+2 and then i realised i never take this line as a bluff. if it works once every 10k hands or so it might add a bb or 2 to my winrate if i can pick some good spots for it.

on the river im not too sure but i will need a plan for this. normally whenever i've tried this sort of thing before and failed, i've reached the next street with no plan so i just give up. something tells me that i should be prepared to ship the money in...

i suppose a much simpler way around this is just to fire a second barrel :rolleyes:
      The second barrel is alot easier... and just as easy as adding 1-2 BB to your winrate you can do it the other way, especially if you raise and ship river at these limits where people can't actually fold anything.

So if you were to get called what are you hoping to fold on the river with a ship?
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      i don't count on him folding Kx, but he could also fold weaker FDs and floats. he MIGHT fold Kx like KQ,KJ but surely vs someone who has a tendency to bet IP ott, they will have more air/semibluffs than actual made hands. that being said, he most likely folds a lot of these floats to a 2nd barrel anyway, and that is much much cheaper. so i'll probably just stick to the second barrel unless im 100% sure i have some FE... i'm just thinking the value of picking up his floats might be > the value of just firing a 2nd barrel and picking up the pot without his float..
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      hi.

Don't like check/raise Turn here. I only like having a turn check/raising range on boards where the opponent can be expected to float the Flop and bet the Turn as a bluff a lot.

This is not one of them so as bogdan said, a turn bet is much better.