switching to cash HU games

• thesundancekid
      thesundancekid
      Bronze
      Hi all,

I'm thinking of switching from MTT's to cash HU games.

I am a pretty solid MTT player I have been playing online for around 5 years now,all MTT's., 1st year i was a fish ofc, 2nd much better understood the basics and built a foundation still quite fishy , 3rd got coached plugged all my leaks really stepped up my game to another level , 4th year really advanced player, my reads are more or less spot on in any situation to the point where I was playing online MTT's for a living for a while.

5th year...2013

I am starting to get really sick of MTT's , and I have learned that cash HU games are the best way to make some serious cash, bcoz thats is why we all play poker to make money.

I think I am a pretty decent HU player but I also think that if i do start to play HU cash games I will need to get coached as its a diff game from MTT's

was wondering if any 1 can give me any feedback on this matter and perhaps tell me of any top HU cash coachs .

here is some stats of mine if you would like a wee look..

(p.s. I haven't shipped any big games on PS yet been so close few times and many deep runs.. just believe me when i say bad beats on there.

http://pokerprolabs.com/mr_jam/888.com

http://pokerprolabs.com/mr_jam.2%252cu/PokerStars

http://pokerprolabs.com/mrjam2u/iPoker
  • 8 replies
    • lnternet
      lnternet
      Bronze
      Maybe transition by playing some HU sitngos? You get elements of HU cash in the first levels and then you get the short stack pushing game in the later levels that you are already familiar with. Just an idea.

Money in HU.. well. It is difficult to find anyone to play against. Only the best regulars will play HU against other regulars, for the simple reason that nobody likes to donate money. At the lowest stakes you can probably find some opponents that don't have you outclassed by too much, but the rake is incredibly high there, and matches have usually two losers. So you will have to wait for fish, alongside 100 other people doing that same. Which is fine, but might not be what you expect.

Given you do have games to play in the best way to improve is to play! Until you have a bunch of experience under your belt a coach will not be the best investment. Watch videos, read articles, play yourself, until you feel like you have found your style. Then get a coach. You can find coaches here on PokerStrategy or elsewhere.
    • Itsnevereasy
      Itsnevereasy
      Bronze
      I have learned that cash HU games are the best way to make some serious cash

6-max is much more profitable in my opinion because you can multitable much more efficiently than in HU.

Originally posted by lnternet
      Maybe transition by playing some HU sitngos? You get elements of HU cash in the first levels and then you get the short stack pushing game in the later levels that you are already familiar with. Just an idea.

Money in HU.. well. It is difficult to find anyone to play against. Only the best regulars will play HU against other regulars, for the simple reason that nobody likes to donate money. At the lowest stakes you can probably find some opponents that don't have you outclassed by too much, but the rake is incredibly high there, and matches have usually two losers. So you will have to wait for fish, alongside 100 other people doing that same. Which is fine, but might not be what you expect.
      Great summary of HU. 30 minutes of playing, 2 hours of waiting at 20 tables...

Given you do have games to play in the best way to improve is to play! Until you have a bunch of experience under your belt a coach will not be the best investment. Watch videos, read articles, play yourself, until you feel like you have found your style. Then get a coach. You can find coaches here on PokerStrategy or elsewhere.

Is coaching ever a good investment in your opinion? Did you ever get a coach for substantial time period? The problem with coaching is that the coaches who are trully great players/ thinkers have a sick win rate and therefore a really high coaching rate. Seems overly optimistic that they can pass as much value as their hourly win rate to their student. I don't know, what do you think?
    • Walshnm
      Walshnm
      Bronze
      Depending on how much you want to invest initially it can be a real culture shock from the monotonous MTT grind.

Def. try playing HUNL SnGs as practice first because it teaches you lots of interesting HU spots without losing too much cash in the process.

With regard to coaching - 100% Look up Gordon at bestpokercoach.com HE IS THE BOMB!!
    • mafrendd
      mafrendd
      Basic
      No offense but opinion _ in fact cordial opinion is that from your pokerprolab graphs i found you not to be much successful mtt player which implies you still need to improve many more things in your game. And HU cash game is really dangerous. You got to know that making money is easy at HU cash tables? That is ridiculous. We are not cultivating a paddy field here where we produce things out of nothing. But in poker we are not producing anything but taking money from others who are losing. In that case if you heard making money is easy at cash game HU tables, then on the other hand you should have heard that losing money is even easier in HU cash game tables, because rake is also a cost. So if someone else doesnt lose you cant win. Now our biggest concern is that, if we are the sharks who are the better players than the average HU cash game players. And you are a beginner in case of cash HU. And as its for you living, i dont see reasons behind investing 4 years to learn this game again where the result is still not sure of becoming a very good player at cash HU. Furthermore you know, cash HU games are much tougher than tourneys because its a high VPIP game.
    • Walshnm
      Walshnm
      Bronze
      Originally posted by mafrendd
      No offense but opinion _ in fact cordial opinion is that from your pokerprolab graphs i found you not to be much successful mtt player which implies you still need to improve many more things in your game. And HU cash game is really dangerous. You got to know that making money is easy at HU cash tables? That is ridiculous. We are not cultivating a paddy field here where we produce things out of nothing. But in poker we are not producing anything but taking money from others who are losing. In that case if you heard making money is easy at cash game HU tables, then on the other hand you should have heard that losing money is even easier in HU cash game tables, because rake is also a cost. So if someone else doesnt lose you cant win. Now our biggest concern is that, if we are the sharks who are the better players than the average HU cash game players. And you are a beginner in case of cash HU. And as its for you living, i dont see reasons behind investing 4 years to learn this game again where the result is still not sure of becoming a very good player at cash HU. Furthermore you know, cash HU games are much tougher than tourneys because its a high VPIP game.
      Harsh but true :(

It's true you can make a lot of money very quickly playing HU and excellent HU players do kill it but it is tough to master especially if what you have taught yourself for so long tends to a be a more systematic approach to poker where as heads up is very much about aggression and meta game.

Either way - Good hunting hope you do well in whatever you pursue :D
    • mafrendd
      mafrendd
      Basic
      Yes i agree. For better earning you should concentrate a bit more on tourneys and if you think u do well after getting suggestions from coaches you meet some tourney coaches as well.
    • alloman
      alloman
      Black
      my mom said hu is evil
    • Walshnm
      Walshnm
      Bronze
      Originally posted by alloman
      my mom said hu is evil
      HAHAhHAhaHAahhAHAhHHaHAh

+1