Warning, FL inside!

• CoreySteel
      CoreySteel
      Bronze
      Hello everyone.

I decided to open my own blog too. For starters, let me introduce myself.
      My name is Luka, am 22 years old and I'm coming from Slovenia.

I opened account here at PokerStrategy almost two years ago, choose Party for starting capital, clear my 150$ bonus, then had some up and downs, forgetting about poker in between, cashout everything and... Actually I don't remember everything :)

Few months back I used TAF bonus (150$) and I "deposited" it on PartyPoker and so I started my career from the beginning. I played 0.15/0.30 FR and I move up to 0.25/0.50 and I soon had enough BR for 0.5/1.00 FR. Tried couple of times there, but did not succeed. And I wasn't surprised actually, because you can't find enough FR tables at Party. Besides that 90% players were TAGs. I supposed they were all from German part or PokerStrategy :)

So I asked for help here on forums and everyone advised me to move to PokerStars, which had 0.25/0.50 ShortHanded tables. I did that although I'm not tracked to PokerStrategy there :(

So far my game was really good. Few days back I moved to 0.50/1.00 SH and I'm doing quite fine. I am playing "only" 2, rarely 3 tables at once. This way I can be more focused on my play and my opponent and I can make better table selection.
      My BR is at 800$. When I hit about 1200$ I'll move up to 1/2 SH, but not before September. I like to play at least one month on current limit. You can never be sure, if you are winning because you play good, or because you just hit a major upswing :)

My very short-term goal is to become Silver Star at PokerStars VIP status.
      I am at 53% (791VPP of 1500VPP) right now and only 5 days passed, so I think I shouldn't have problem reaching this. My secret desire is to hit Gold Star, but that will be almost impossible. I'd need 4000 VPPs for that, so I'm currently at 20%. Theoretically it can be done, but I won't play everyday, so... I'll leave this goal for next limit :)

My not so short-term goal is to have ~2-3BB/100 on 0.50/1.00 SH. This would mean that I'd reach 1200BR before September. Would be nice if this comes true, but I won't be disappointed if it don't. I'm patient person :)

My long-term goal... Hard to say. First of all, I'd like to qualify on WCOOP Event 3# (FL, 215$ BI).
      Second of all, I'd like to play solid 1/2$ SH with 2BB/100 hands. I hope this is not too big goal for me. I don't like to become cocky or something :)
      And last but not least, I'd like to deposit on other site than PokerStars, although PokerStars is really great site, but I'm not tracked. The only other site that looks fine enough is Titan Poker. But I'm not so sure. For now, I'll stay here :)

So that's it. I hope it wasn't so hard to read. I'll try to update as much as possible. Hope I'll attract more FL players to start their blogs :) and for the end, here are some graphs:

My current play on 0.5/1.00:
      I had a nasty upswing then nasty dowswing, but I recovered :)

My stats (you can comment on them):

And here is my graph for 0.25/0.50 in July:

BR: 791.46$
      Silver Star: 53%
      Gold Star: 20%

Goals:
      05.08.2008, Reach Silver Star: COMPLETED (08.08.2008)
      [B]05.08.2008, Reach Gold Star in August: COMPLETED[/b] (23.08.2008)
      05.08.2008, Qualify to WCOOP Event 3#: / CANCELLED (15.06.2008)
      [COLOR=red]10.08.2008, 2BB/100 by the end of August: FAILED (1.25BB/100)[/color]
      01.09.2008, Reach 1200$ BR in September and move to 1/2$ SH:
      01.09.2008, Reach Gold Star in September:
  • 388 replies
    • FrozenRope
      FrozenRope
      Bronze
      Nice read CoreySteel, I would never say you had a Nasty upswing, upswings are never nasty. They are fantastic to have, but always come with downswings. You graphs are awsome, keep up the great work. Love the fact that want to qualify for the WCOOP event #3. You can do it, use up your FPP's in the 500FPP with rebuy and add ons. Much success to you, any way to get your account re-tracked so your gaining points here.
    • CoreySteel
      CoreySteel
      Bronze
      Thanks for nice words, FrozenRope.
      I have only like 1000 FPPs, so currently 500FPP+R doesn't sound so good. Maybe in two weeks or so :) (32 days till event).
      But yes, this deal is the best out there.

All hopes about getting my account tracked are gone. Tried everything :(
    • CoreySteel
      CoreySteel
      Bronze
      It was a good end of a day (+46) and a bad start of a new day (-20).
      So my BR dropped a bit, nothing serious, but I made a tons of VPP.

I had some good calls with A-high today. Like this one, where I was pretty sure I'm still ahead. He done it couple of times already. I play only few tables at once - 2 or 3 and when I found a good table with 1 or 2 fishes, I stick to it and I get to know players quite fast.

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      Hero:
      $14,60
      BU:
      $10,55

0,5/1 Fixed-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.58 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is CO with K:diamond: , A:diamond:
      2 folds, Hero raises, BU 3-bets, 2 folds, Hero caps, BU calls.

Flop: (9,50 SB) 8:club: , T:heart: , 6:spade: (2 players)
      Hero bets, BU calls.

Turn: (5,75 BB) 4:heart: (2 players)
      Hero bets, BU calls.

River: (7,75 BB) 6:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero checks, BU bets, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 9,75 BB

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows a pair of sixes (Kd Ad)
      BU shows a pair of sixes (9c Ah)

Hero wins with a pair of sixes (Kd Ad)
      I've never called with K-high before. This was my first time. I had a felling that he bluffed my twice before and I folded. This time I was certain and I gave it a shot. Here's the hand:

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      Hero:
      $21,05
      BB:
      $20,80

0,5/1 Fixed-Limit Hold'em (4 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.58 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is SB with K:club: , J:club:
      2 folds, Hero raises, BB calls.

Flop: (4,00 SB) 5:heart: , 2:diamond: , 5:club: (2 players)
      Hero bets, BB calls.

Turn: (3,00 BB) Q:club: (2 players)
      Hero bets, BB raises, Hero calls.

River: (7,00 BB) 3:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero checks, BB bets, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 9,00 BB

Hero shows a pair of fives (Kc Jc)
      BB shows a pair of fives (9h Jh)

Hero wins with a pair of fives (Kc Jc)
      But I lost a couple of monsters too. Here is one. This is the biggest lost in today's session.

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      SB:
      $33,15
      Hero:
      $17,00

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with J:spade: , A:club:
      Hero raises, 3 folds, SB 3-bets, BB folds, Hero calls.

Flop: (7,00 SB) J:diamond: , 7:club: , 3:heart: (2 players)
      SB bets, Hero calls.

Turn: (4,50 BB) A:heart: (2 players)
      SB bets, Hero raises, SB 3-bets, Hero caps, SB calls.

River: (12,50 BB) K:spade: (2 players)
      SB bets, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 14,50 BB

Hero shows two pairs, aces and jacks (Js Ac)
      SB shows two pairs, aces and kings (Kh As)

SB wins with two pairs, aces and kings (Kh As)

BR: 777,36$
      Silver Star: 65%
      Gold Star: 24%
    • CoreySteel
      CoreySteel
      Bronze
      Hey.

I have some good and some bad news.

OK, so let's start with bad news first. Today I was playing Satellite 500FPP+R for WCOOP Event #3 (FL, 215$ BI). Bad news is that I didn't get the ticket, BUT I have some good news anyway. I spent 1000 FPPs (500 for BI, 500 for add-on), I finished 8th and so I won 1500FPPs :) So even in bad news I can find something positive. And as I can see, this satellites won't be so easy to win. Lots of preflop raising with no hands, hitting flop, turn, river with magical cards, etc... Will try again, tho :)

I have another "bad news" which turned into good news :) Earlier today (00:00-02:00 CET) I had a quite big downswing. Down about 50$ (50BB). I lost AA, KK and I lost 4 times in a row with QQ! I got three times QQ in a range of 10 hands (I think even less).
      But like I said, sun always shine after the rain... While playing in Satellite, I managed to get everything back, with a little bonus of ~20$ :)
      So at the moment I'm at peak of my career with 853.01$.

Another good news is that I hit Silver Star status at Stars :) And I'm still alive for Gold Star with 38,6% at the moment.

So I have nothing to complain really :)

Thanks for reading.

BR: 853.01$
      Silver Star: COMPLETED
      Gold Star: 38,6%
      WCOOP Event #3: Not qualified.

P.S. Here's above mentioned graph.
    • Dippy19
      Dippy19
      Bronze
      Nice! :D

A little tip for the WCOOP:
      1. Keep playing them, if you don't run in to really bad luck or really screw up, you will almost always get your buy in back.
      2. You can play some other qualifier if you want and unregister and then register for the FL event :P

Otherwise, good to see you are doing well, keep it up!
    • opal99
      opal99
      Black
      wow; nice upswing :D

tbh, I don't think it's good idea to play WCOOP: if you win ticket, you can sell it for ~$210... +853 = $1063 BR (enough for another lvl). Playing in event you invest 20% of your potential bankroll in one tournament what is... eh ... not the best BRM ;)
    • CoreySteel
      CoreySteel
      Bronze
      I will play only if I win a ticket. I'll never buy-in directly.
      It's my goal, I want to play it :)

Besides that, I would like to get my BR for 1/2$ (1200$) with playing on cash games only. This way I'll know that I'm good enough for moving up. If I get BR from some random tournaments I play, I can easily lose everything in a couple of hands on higher limits :) Just not my style ;)

BTW, upswing ended at 56$ :P
      Found a really nice table with two fishes but it fell apart (they lost all the money they've got), so I stopped playing for today. 1000 hands is enough.
    • CoreySteel
      CoreySteel
      Bronze
      Man... Why do I always have to have a cold shower after a good run? :(
      Well after 10k hands stats aren't so bad after all, but they could be MUCH better.
      2.45BB/100 hands is OK.
    • Dippy19
      Dippy19
      Bronze
      Originally posted by CoreySteel
      Man... Why do I always have to have a cold shower after a good run? :(
      Because luck has to even out :P
    • CoreySteel
      CoreySteel
      Bronze
      Wrong... Good run wasn't because of luck, but due to good table selection and really bad fishes. I'm sure I took 50$ from only 2 players. I played this from 0-2AM.

Today ~10-12AM I lost every big hand possible. I don't mind actually. I know I'll get everything back. It just bothers me that I throw away nice winnings.

Like I said... I'm still running pretty good with 2.45BB/100.
    • Dippy19
      Dippy19
      Bronze
      I found some nice fish on 2/4 FR and I'm running on 35BB/100, is that realistic? :D :D :D Even if you played bad players, you had to hit some hands, unless you played rocks. It evens out, that's all, fish only make the curve more tilted in the upwards direction(higher win rate).
    • CoreySteel
      CoreySteel
      Bronze
      You'd have too see how many calls with A-high (even T-high one time) I made yesterday. And I pulled some nice bluffs too or called them. If they play bad of course it can be realistic. Like I said above. I made 50$ from only two players. You can't say that just everything evens out. This is not true. It would be true if you always play against same players who plays fairly the same. Not if you find some fishes, who has too much money or are they just plain drunk.
    • CoreySteel
      CoreySteel
      Bronze
      Lost 150$.
      Lost every hand possible.
      New goal is to have 2BB/100 by the end of the month.

BR: 789.16$
      Gold Star: 50%
      BB/100: 1,37.
    • CoreySteel
      CoreySteel
      Bronze
      Lost another 31$ today. And this is what I was talking about moving up too fast. You never know, if you play bad or if you just hit a downswing. I kinda doubt that it's the latter, but anyway...

I'm not quiting or anything, not tilting and not even bothered by this. But sometimes I ask myself... I spend so much time for poker. Where would I be right now if I didn't spend 2 hours a day for poker? What would I become? I guess I'd be a brain surgeon by now :)
      I'm not thinking this only when I'm losing money :) But when I'm winning I kinda forget this things. ("I'm winning, why should I doubt in poker" :P ) But I'm not sure if poker really isn't just a waste of time.
      But it doesn't matter actually, because I don't see myself as a poker player. I'm not enough smart, or lucky for that matter :) We have a nice saying here in Slovenia... "If you are unlucky at cards, you'll have luck in love:heart: " ;)
      It could be a nice hobby, but 2 hours a day is just too much :) And 0.5/1 SH is too big limit for a hobby. Or just for me? :)

/me waiting for an upswing to come (again).
      Goals stays the same:

BR: 764$
      Gold Star: 53,8%
      BB/100: 1.09
    • CoreySteel
      CoreySteel
      Bronze
      Another "poker after dark" is behind me.
      Downswing stopped, thank god. But not just that... Huge upswing came. I was hitting almost everything. It was unbelievable. In 200 hands I made 70BB. Till the end of my session I lost half of it, but I don't mind. It was a good night after all.
      At the end I started tilting so I ended my session before I planed to, and I also didn't find proper table with nice fishes. I think that's why I started tilting :evil:
      But don't be sad. Now I have time to update my blog :)

Funny story from the tables...
      When I was in hitting zone, I put someone on a bankrupt :rolleyes:
      I sucked out twice in a row on him. I hit second pair both of the time on the flop and he hit top pair. First time I made two pair on the river, in second hand I made trips. He went mad.
      Next hand I hit top pair with AQ on board QKJ, and he capped flop, so I just checked/called till river and he showed AJ and second pair. I guess he was little bit steaming :) I understand him completely.
      Fourth hand (these were all consecutive hands, FYI) I had AK, I raised preflop, he 3bet and was all-in. He showed J4 and flop came xJ4. So he had two pair, but... I sucked out again. Turn was K and river was also a K :D

I guess he quit poker :D

BR: 805.16$
      Gold Star: 57,6
      BB/100: 1,33
      WCOOP Event 3#: One try at Q and didn't make it.
    • Dippy19
      Dippy19
      Bronze
      Good to see you're progressing nicely. Like I said many times before, the best thing about a downswing is that it's always followed by an upswing :D

PS: I love it when people go on tilt :D
    • CoreySteel
      CoreySteel
      Bronze
      Well... He was on tilt because of me... I'd go nuts too :)

Another good day. Today at night 0-2AM CET I played really bad. There was lots of fishes, but I didn't exploit that fact :(
      After 450 hands I stopped playing at ~-3$.
      I made some bad calldowns when it was clear that I'm beat. Made raises against donkbets, of course they always hit something when they donkbet. Even though most people says that donkbets is not a sign of power, I experienced mostly opposite.
      But today at day I played well and I hit lots of flops too. It was really hard to find proper tables, but I was lucky. I had two tables when 4 players were TAGs or rocks, but one player had at least 80 VPIP. I doubled up at one and play good at other table too. For third table I choose 0.25/0.50 SH. Here I pulled two hero bluffs with A high. One time HU, he folded on river. Second time there were 3 other players and they all folded. Fijuuu :)

Here is hand of the day:
      This guy was bluffing a lot. He had VPIP 100%, PFR 50%, AF 3.6. I "knew" he has nothing, but actually he did have something, but never mind :D
      I wanted to raise on a turn, but I made miss click, lol. Nevertheless, here's the hand:

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with 8:club: , 8:diamond:
      MP2 raises, Hero 3-bets, CO calls, 3 folds, MP2 calls.

Flop: (10,50 SB) 5:club: , 8:spade: , 5:spade: (3 players)
      MP2 checks, Hero bets, CO calls, MP2 raises, Hero calls, CO calls.

Turn: (8,25 BB) 4:club: (3 players)
      MP2 bets, Hero calls, CO calls.

River: (11,25 BB) 3:club: (3 players)
      MP2 bets, Hero raises, CO folds, MP2 3-bets, Hero caps, MP2 calls.

Final Pot: 19,25 BB

Hero shows a full-house, eights full of fives (8c 8d)
      MP2 shows three of a kind, fives (6c 5d)

Hero wins with a full-house, eights full of fives (8c 8d)

BR: 840.41
      Gold Star: 61.6%
      BB/100: 1.55 (goal 2.00 till the end of August)
      WCOOP Event 3#: Not qualified yet
    • Yoghi
      Yoghi
      Black
      Seriously, everything in me shouts "3-BET FLOP RAISE TURN!!!!!!!!!!!". As you can see from the results you missed so much value from this line :(

Nice graph though :)
    • CoreySteel
      CoreySteel
      Bronze
      Yeah, but I thought I will get most value this way, because he bluffs a lot. How could I know he actually hit a 5 here :P
      He raised from "UTG" with 65o for Christ's sake... :)