Real Life Crusher in the making

• DeMarcohsp
      DeMarcohsp
      Bronze
      Hey people,

Some of you might know me as I've been a member of pokerstrategy for a few years. You find more things non poker related in my old blog .

For a few weeks I commited to poker and decided to give it my best shot. For this I wake up every day at 6 am and study poker for at least a couple of hours and decided to play at least 50 k hands / month.

This is how the last week looked poker wise:

This is how the next week is planned:

I'm continually refining my approach, so I'm always open to suggestions.

I'm playing NL 50 sh atm, trying to improve and get to higher limits. Target is to beat NL 400/600 for a good 5bb/100 as soon as possible. Winning @ NL 200 by the end of the year would be a good progress for me.

Mr Leakbuster by position:

And a graph of recent weeks:

I'm here to improve and try my best to help others. Meet you at the top! :f_cool:
  • 15 replies
    • serverm07
      serverm07
      Basic
      Welcome to the fish pond :f_biggrin:

I'm sure this will be very beneficial for you.

Incredible spreadsheet, that's some dedication and organization. I think I saw Primoz posting a link to it in his productivity guide or something like that?

Anyway as far as poker goes, few things stand out right away:

-Your CO and BTN winrate could go up by you stealing more and playing more pots when you are IP, I think you are playing too tight from these positions.

And looking at your graph, my guess is you have too much of a "calling game" and could work a bit on your raising range in position.
      Also by you stealing more the red line would go up a bit :)

Looking forward to more from you.

Serverm07.
    • sirrybob
      sirrybob
      Coach
      Coach
      Unfortunately not all your stats have their titles so I'm not sure about everything, but I saw you have -20bb/100 in the sb.

This usually means you're not stealing often bvb when it's folded to you.

So, first thing I would advise you to do:

Use holdem manager to add a stat to your hud - "Fold BB to SB steal".

If this stat is over 62.5% for the BB and you're in the SB, you can open 100% of hands profitably.

Actually if you play reasonably postflop, you can still open 100% even when it is 55%.

You will quickly notice that over 50% of the players you play with don't defend their BB. So start stealing it :-)

Let me know if this advice helps/is relevant for you. I have had -7bb/100 in SB for a long time and I think it's mostly due to this.
    • DeMarcohsp
      DeMarcohsp
      Bronze
      Hey guys :D

@Server

About the spreadsheet, I am good friends with SF and we developed this kind of managing tool together, though his is not as colorful as mine :tongue:

All your suggestions should prolly apply to me, will look over them in my study sessions.

@sirrybob

:facepalm: will immediately sort that out sir!

About the stealing I am using similar strategy as you outlined already :) . I still have to play in flopzilla with my 3bet calling/ 4bet ranges in the SB though.
    • DeMarcohsp
      DeMarcohsp
      Bronze
      Mr Leakbuster by position:

Overall stats:

• sirrybob
      sirrybob
      Coach
      Coach
      Your W$SD is lower than 50%, and your WTSD is also low.
      This is surprising - it means you are rarely getting to showdown and yet still often have the worst hand.

I'm not sure what the reason for this is, so let me ask you some questions:
      1. Do you often find yourself bluffing with low equity into a strong range to "rep the nuts". Are you confident when you should or should not be bluffing?
      2. Do you often find yourself calling the river with a hand just because you have top/middle pair without thinking about villain's range?
      3. Do you always fastplay your strong hands, but call/float with your weaker ones?
    • DeMarcohsp
      DeMarcohsp
      Bronze
      1. Do you often find yourself bluffing with low equity into a strong range to "rep the nuts". Are you confident when you should or should not be bluffing?

I don't think this is the case. I usually bluff when stats show me profitable spots or when reads+stats make me believe that villain has weak range that he is going to fold often.

2. Do you often find yourself calling the river with a hand just because you have top/middle pair without thinking about villain's range?

I think I usually consider opponent's ranges before calling. Especially when I have a weak hand myself.

3. Do you always fastplay your strong hands, but call/float with your weaker ones?

I don't feel this applies but I can't know for sure.

All are good questions and worth running filters on.

Other explanation might be that I value bet/raise too thin on the river :f_confused:

Thanks for your time.
    • DeMarcohsp
      DeMarcohsp
      Bronze

I noticed an improvement in my tilt control. was really close to the stage of being indifferent in lots of spots that would usually frustrate me. So this focusing on the mental game does pay off.

I implemented warming up and cooling down in my playing routine and I feel this is also benefiting me.

Attended the seminar today on playing CO, well timed since I started focusing on preflop ranges today anyways :D .
    • jachis
      jachis
      Bronze
      Would you mind sharing what you do in your warm up and cooldown?

How do you benefit from a cooldown?
    • DeMarcohsp
      DeMarcohsp
      Bronze
      Warm Up

-I check that I have all distractions turned off (phone/skype)
      -I review recent notes/ theory studied
      -I check my emotional state and take a few deep breaths
      -I start by playing fewer tables and don't add until I don't fell sharp.

Cool down

-I give myself ratings in some performance markers: Tilt control, Focus, Improvement etc
      -I write down anything that bugged me during session, leaks that I discovered, what went well, what went wrong, anything else that I consider relevant :D .

It is beneficial because you keep an honest evaluation of your play and also you keep track of how different things affect your game --> helps you spot leaks.
    • DeMarcohsp
      DeMarcohsp
      Bronze
      Hey guys,

I am implementing a new drill in my schedule. It is about taking a hand and run many what if scenarios on it.

I'm posting this here because it can be useful imo in order to spot flaws in our logic. Tell me what you think about it.

Poker Stars, $0.25/$0.50 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 5 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

Hero (BB): $50 (100 bb)
      MP: $68.70 (137.4 bb)
      CO: $50 (100 bb)
      BTN: $76.75 (153.5 bb)
      SB: $53.25 (106.5 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A T
      2 folds, BTN raises to $1, SB folds, Hero calls $0.50

Flop: ($2.25) J 9 A (2 players)
      Hero bets $2, BTN calls $2

Turn: ($6.25) A (2 players)
      Hero bets $5, BTN calls $5

River: ($16.25) 2 (2 players)
      Hero bets $42 and is all-in, BTN calls $42

1) When would 3betting be better pre?
      I don't really find a scenario. If villain would be super aggro I think we would still find higher EV by flatting and letting him spew.

Vs regs this is standard imo.

2)When is checking better on the flop
      When villain is aggro villain either spewy or overplaying type. Also good vs regs with high cbet.

3) When to donk flop ?
      Vs stations
      Vs weak/tight

4) What if villain cbets polarized ?

I would go for x/c unless he has like 30% cbet as his range will be bluff heavy with any decent cbet freq.
      After he checks back I would fire T 100% for value

5) What if villain cbets depolarized ?
      Against any decent cbet freq > 50% I am big favorite. If villain is super stationy I could probably go for a x/r for value
      After he checks back flop fire T 100%

6) What if villain folds a lot vs donks?
      My play is still good if he does not cbet a good amount because he will get a free card most of the time when I check.

7) What if villain barrels decent freq and has good stats overall?

ATo is not for from the top of my range, I only have here AJ(9), A9s(2), J9s(3) for better combos. So, on blanks I would call vs balanced opponent

Let's go to the turn

8) What if turn is Q or K ?

It improves his range. Easy play I think is to x/c on Ks Qs and bet/fold the rest.
    • DeMarcohsp
      DeMarcohsp
      Bronze

SB: $23.78 (47.6 bb)
      BB: $52 (104 bb)
      MP: $106.38 (212.8 bb)
      CO: $156.67 (313.3 bb)
      Hero (BTN): $50.50 (101 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BTN with A K
      MP raises to $1.50, CO folds, Hero raises to $5, SB calls $4.75, 2 folds

Flop: ($12) Q 7 6 (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks

Turn: ($12) K (2 players)
      SB bets $7, Hero raises to $24.82, SB calls $11.78 and is all-in

River: ($49.56) 9 (2 players, 1 is all-in)

Such a default spot to auto stack off on the turn. But if we look a little closer we realize that is not leading any worse combos on the turn himself. Even with A:club: Q He is checking to hit.

:facepalm: for me

Lesson: be very careful when station take the lead, no matter what the previous action.
    • serverm07
      serverm07
      Basic
      Originally posted by DeMarcohsp
      Hey guys,

I am implementing a new drill in my schedule. It is about taking a hand and run many what if scenarios on it.

I'm posting this here because it can be useful imo in order to spot flaws in our logic. Tell me what you think about it.

Hero (BB): $50 (100 bb)
      MP: $68.70 (137.4 bb)
      CO: $50 (100 bb)
      BTN: $76.75 (153.5 bb)
      SB: $53.25 (106.5 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A T
      2 folds, BTN raises to $1, SB folds, Hero calls $0.50

Flop: ($2.25) J 9 A (2 players)
      Hero bets $2, BTN calls $2

Turn: ($6.25) A (2 players)
      Hero bets $5, BTN calls $5

River: ($16.25) 2 (2 players)
      Hero bets $42 and is all-in, BTN calls $42

1) When would 3betting be better pre?
      I don't really find a scenario. If villain would be super aggro I think we would still find higher EV by flatting and letting him spew.

Vs regs this is standard imo.

when someone opens a lot and folds very little vs 3bets we can easily add that into our 3bet range but yea here regs don't open that much so flatting is more EV.

2)When is checking better on the flop
      When villain is aggro villain either spewy or overplaying type. Also good vs regs with high cbet.

This guy is cbetting 75%, it's definitely an easy check vs him.

3) When to donk flop ?
      Vs stations
      Vs weak/tight

4) What if villain cbets polarized ?

I would go for x/c unless he has like 30% cbet as his range will be bluff heavy with any decent cbet freq.
      After he checks back I would fire T 100% for value

5) What if villain cbets depolarized ?
      Against any decent cbet freq > 50% I am big favorite. If villain is super stationy I could probably go for a x/r for value
      After he checks back flop fire T 100%

6) What if villain folds a lot vs donks?
      My play is still good if he does not cbet a good amount because he will get a free card most of the time when I check.

7) What if villain barrels decent freq and has good stats overall?

ATo is not for from the top of my range, I only have here AJ(9), A9s(2), J9s(3) for better combos. So, on blanks I would call vs balanced opponent

Let's go to the turn

8) What if turn is Q or K ?

It improves his range. Easy play I think is to x/c on Ks Qs and bet/fold the rest.
      With regards to donking, when your range is consisted of bluff catchers and has no nutted hands it doesn't make sense at all to split your range. Reading your post I'm getting that you would lead all of your strong + some bluffs I'm assuming, but then your checking range becomes way too weak so even when this guy is not cbetting a lot I'm not a huge fan of having a donking range.

Where as on a flop of 987 for example, you have all the nut hands TJ,99,88,77 etc. And if he is not cbetting a lot it could make sense to split range into donks+x/r+x/c while not making the other range too weak.
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      For AT hand 3bet is much better IMO. Our AT is ahead of his 40% range and he is hardly folding. Kq and AJ would be clear 3bets for value, AT is kind of close but i still prefer it.

And definitely checking flop like server mentioned. Only lead when u have reason to believe that pfr is not gonna bet very often.

If u want to play AT so hard here i think its pretty clear that u should 3b though.
    • serverm07
      serverm07
      Basic
      Originally posted by mbml
      For AT hand 3bet is much better IMO. Our AT is ahead of his 40% range and he is hardly folding. Kq and AJ would be clear 3bets for value, AT is kind of close but i still prefer it.

And definitely checking flop like server mentioned. Only lead when u have reason to believe that pfr is not gonna bet very often.

If u want to play AT so hard here i think its pretty clear that u should 3b though.
      If we are 3betting AT, we would 3betting like 8% for value+8% as a bluff, I'm not a fan of this at all when he is not opening "that wide". Think it only makes sense to include AT vs like 75%+ open. Otherwise the ev of calling is def better imo given that AT doesnt even play that great in 3bet pots.
    • DeMarcohsp
      DeMarcohsp
      Bronze
      I like the argument server made for calling AT pre and I agree that checking is the way to go here :) .

Funny thing tonight, felt brain fried now being 11 pm for me, kinda sad becaus I would've liked to play for 1h but it was not possible. I've been working since 6 am so I can live with it.

I really love my mindset these days. Let's make it a constant in my game :D

Poker Stars, $0.25/$0.50 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players

BB: $28.77 (57.5 bb)
      Hero (UTG): $50.75 (101.5 bb)
      MP: $48.54 (97.1 bb)
      CO: $32.14 (64.3 bb)
      BTN: $50 (100 bb)
      SB: $220.58 (441.2 bb)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 8 8
      Hero raises to $1.75, MP folds, CO raises to $3, 3 folds, Hero calls $1.25

Flop: ($6.75) 4 7 5 (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO bets $3, Hero raises to $8.50, CO calls $5.50

Turn: ($23.75) 9 (2 players)
      Hero bets $5.75, CO raises to $20.64 and is all-in, Hero calls $14.89

River: ($65.03) 2 (2 players, 1 is all-in)

1) When is this hand played well ?

I think this hand is played well vs aggro spewy opponents. This is why I chose the small sizing so that i can give him room to spew.

2) When would you not call the 3bet pre ?

I think my default here is to call the m3bet
      vs stations with low 3bet we have very good implied odds
      vs maniacs it might be better to 4bet it if they have something like 15% 3bet and stack off on non Ace boards. ???

3) What is the plan postflop?

Vs this opponent my plan is to call down light on non Ax boards with no more than 1 broadway on the board.

This particular flop is one of the best we could get imo.

Again since this guy has 14 F4bet, I think 4betting it pre in order to have lower SPR might be better.

Vs stations I'm set mining.

4 What if villain is not cbetting much?

I would lead all non Ax flops with 1 broadway at most on it. Vs his wide 3betting range my hand is doing well on these.

With 47 cbet in 3bp I should've donked this one :D

5 What if villain in 3barrel happy ?

With 80%+ flop and 60% on T and R I am calling all non Ax cards.

New one for your enjoyment.

Also watched the first seminar on UTG 2day, great great content. felt much more confident in my decisions :D .