Let's give it a shot- NL25 and more...!!

• zghrv
      zghrv
      Silver
      Ok preople, I'll give it another try with poker.
      Been playing here and there on NL5 to NL25, cashed out around 400-500$ last few months and that's about it.

I think I don't have the edge on NL25, I can't brake it and go to NL50. Think this blog is going to be helpfull to get moving to higher limits - thats my main motivation to write it.

The plan till 01.05. is following:
      - 3 days a week learning (Mon, Wed, Fri)
      - 3 days playing 2-3 hour sessions (9 tables NL25)+ half an hour posting hands

I'll analyse evrey session, post the hands and see how it goes.
      I would like to play arround 20K kands untill 01.05.

Thats about it for now. I think this one will be interesting, let's see what improvements and what path someone has to go through to get from NL 25 to higher limits.
      Keep tracking, maybe you can help me and of course learn someting along the way.

Bankroll: 581,9

WISH ME LUCK
  • 26 replies
    • tommygecko
      tommygecko
      Bronze
      Hi, all the best in your poker journey!

I'm on the same road as you, similar bankroll and NL20.

Best of luck I will follow this :D
    • zghrv
      zghrv
      Silver
      Thanks T
      I'll be following your progress

GL
    • zghrv
      zghrv
      Silver
      Ok, first day over. Played a session,1BI up for now.

At one point I was 2,5 BI up, but ended +25$. Ran once into set vs set ( I think that shit happens too often to me), and one AI against a fish with QQ vs AK (he rivered K) - all in all ok session.

I think I'm playing too tight preflop at this limit with 11,7/8,9 preflop 4,4 3b agg 4,13
      So first thing in my learning day will be following:
      - preflop play - I'll look at preflop charts and when to deviate from them
      - 3betting preflop
      - sqz raising

Intersting hands:
      T9s blind steal

STARTING BR: 581,90
      HANDS PLAYED: 1.273
      PROFIT: 25,72
      CURRENT BR: 607,62
    • tommygecko
      tommygecko
      Bronze
      You play SH right?

If so, 11.7/8.9 is way tooooooooo tight. Of course if opponents don't exploit you it's not the worse thing in the world. But you should loosen up more on CO and BU, fight for the dead money. Squeeze/3bet abit more in position, it will be profitable even against loose callers (do it with hands that play well postflop ofc). Don't do it OOP if they never fold though, postflop will be very tough to play.
    • zghrv
      zghrv
      Silver
      Sry,I didn't mentioned it,I play fullring.
      Still I think it's too tight
    • zghrv
      zghrv
      Silver
      Hi all.
      Today session over, played about 1.000 hands and increased my preflop range.
      Session stats 15/11,9 3b 4,7 agg 2,54, made arround 20$.

I think that preflop stats arround 15/10 are ok at this limit. What do you think?
      Tommorow is learning day, I'll read some articles about open raising, cald calling, 3 betting. It would be great if someone would post some links to that kind of articles, maybe I can't find it all on pokerstrategy.com.

I'll write a post on Wednesday when I finish the session.

HANDS PLAYED: 2.286
      PROFIT: 49,06
      CURRENT BR: 630,96

Bye
    • zghrv
      zghrv
      Silver
      I forgot to post hands from the last session:
      Nl25 Fr 77

Dont ever play like this - I don't even know why did I play like I did!!
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.1/$0.25 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)

Known players:
      UTG1:
      $25.00
      UTG2:
      $11.24
      MP1:
      $27.43
      MP2 (Hero):
      $27.01
      MP3:
      $25.00
      CO:
      $20.00
      BU:
      $25.00
      SB:
      $42.75
      BB:
      $10.00

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with Q, A.
      3 folds, Hero raises to $0.75, MP3 folds, CO calls $0.75, BU folds, SB raises to $1.25, BB folds, Hero calls $0.50, CO calls $0.50.

Flop: ($4) T, T, Q (3 players)
      SB bets $1.25, Hero raises to $4.75, CO folds, SB raises to $10.50, Hero calls $5.75.

Turn: ($25) 9 (2 players)
      SB bets $31.00, Hero calls $15.26.

River: ($71.26) 7 (2 players)

Final Pot: $71.26.
      Results follow:

Hero shows two pairs, queens and tens(Q A).
      SB shows three of a kind, tens(J T).

SB wins with three of a kind, tens(J T).
    • zghrv
      zghrv
      Silver
      Hi all.
      Yesterday was learning day - I read a lot about preflop play, went through articles about that. Tomorrow I'll again read all i can find on that subject.

I played a really long session today - arround 2k hands. Lost 5$ but played a ton of interesting hands, before I start reading tomorrow I'll post them. Session stats 15,3/11,8 3b 3,1 agg 2,62

Think I played well, biggest problem for now are fishes, not regulars. I think my next subject for learning is how to play fishes?! This is easy right!!!???
      Also my agg factor is too low (in total 2,88), so thats on agenda too soon.

HANDS PLAYED: 4.325
      PROFIT: 43,68
      CURRENT BR: 625,58

Graph will be posted on Sunday
    • zghrv
      zghrv
      Silver
      Top hands from the last session:
      Nl25 66
      NL25 AK all in
      NL25 FR set
      NL25 FR 2pair with initiative
      NL25 FR against a fish
      NL25 FR top pair without initiative

In that session I was +1BI up, -2BI down and ended up -5$. I think you get the picture why...
    • zghrv
      zghrv
      Silver
      Today was learning day but I just felt like playing.
      So I played a session, arround 1,3K hands - ended +40$.
      Session stats 13/10 3b 4,1 agg 2,81. As I mentioned before, think I'm not aggresive enough, so that's up for learning.

Hands will be posted tomorrow - no playing tomorrow for sure.
      Learning themes for the future:
      - preflop play (open raising, 3betting, cald calling)
      - how to play fishes
      - aggression

HANDS PLAYED: 5.665
      PROFIT: 83,01
      CURRENT BR: 664,91
    • zghrv
      zghrv
      Silver
      Hi all.

So....
      First week over, so a short recap of the results and my thoughts on it.

Playing part:
      HANDS PLAYED: 9.908
      PROFIT: 73,53
      PROFIT EV: 95,23
      CURRENT BR: 655,43

Played a bit more than planned, never mind as long as I learned as planned.
      About the play, I think I really improved preflop play but there is so many leaks in my game (will mention it in the learning part). I have a solid bankroll to play NL25, cover the leaks and move on.
      Plan for playing in April:
      - play 30.000 hands

Learning part:
      About the leaks, I think best way to learn is to see wha spots make you unconfortable, and then put this spots in your learning plan. For now I have detected following leaks:
      - preflop play (cold calling, 3bet, open raising)
      - how to play fishes
      - aggression
      - non showdown winnings
      - when to make second barrel on the turn with initiative

I,ve read most of the articles about preflop play on pokerstrategy site. Now I'll try different preflop concepts against different opponents, I'll try to finish all the material about preflop play, watch some videos and look for the articles on some other sites.

After that we'll get on mentioned leaks. I still haven't decided on the first topic I'll do - what do you think? Fishes, aggresion...?

Graph:

Hands from the last session soon.
    • tommygecko
      tommygecko
      Bronze
      Your red line is definitely a leak IMO, it looks like it's affecting your wr.

Without your stats I'm not too sure, but I'm guessing you are not 3betting/squeezing IP enough. Don't be afraid to be more aggressive with speculative hands on CO/BU especially against people who fold to 3bet alot. It's also not too difficult to play postflop (because you're in position) if you did get a call.

Or maybe you could have a high VPIP in the blinds. If you are calling too many raises from the blinds and giving up postflop too often it will affect your wr.

Or maybe you float too much? Calling flop and turn cbets too often and giving up river. Bluffing in bad spots too often? There are many possible leaks.

If you have trouble vs fish then you should focus on that, since fishes are your main source of income. Generally try to play dominating hands and be in position to extract max value. Don't bluff them if it's obvious they have at least top pair. There are many types of fishes, and different ways to exploit them (look at their tendencies/stats)
    • zghrv
      zghrv
      Silver
      You're totally right T. I've noticed that when I saw your graph - I'll put it on a list too.

Whats your stats? If you don't want to share it publicly we can do it directly.

You have to know that I play FR
    • zghrv
      zghrv
      Silver
      I played a session today, went well.
      1.7k hands, 45$ profit. I already had auto sitout marked and wanted to finish the session when following 2 hands happened, untill then I was over 90$ up.

NL25 AKs
      NL25 fr KK

That reeeeeeeeealy SUCKS!!! 3 times in the session KK vs AA and me having KK - I wonder how I even made a profit?

Other hands from the session:
      nl25 fr ajo
      nl25 fr top pair
      nl25 fr 3barreling my way to hell
      nl25 fr ch-c all the way

And suckout :)

Play hand

Known players:
      UTG1:
      $25.00
      UTG2:
      $46.25
      MP1:
      $9.56
      MP2 (Hero):
      $45.04
      MP3:
      $13.05
      CO:
      $10.00
      BU:
      $9.97
      SB:
      $10.00
      BB:
      $34.78

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with A, 8.
      CO posts deadblind, 3 folds, Hero raises to $1.25, MP3 folds, CO calls $1.00, 3 folds, 2 folds, BB folds.

Flop: ($2.85) 8, 9, 8 (2 players)
      Hero bets $1.75, CO calls $1.75.

Turn: ($6.35) A (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO checks.

River: ($6.35) 4 (2 players)
      Hero bets $3.75, CO raises to $7.00(All-In), Hero calls $3.25.

Final Pot: $20.35.
      Results follow:

Hero shows a full-house, eights full of aces(A 8).
      CO shows a full-house, aces full of eights(A A).

CO wins with a full-house, aces full of eights(A A).

My non sd winnings look much better.
      Session stats was 12,8/10,4 3b 5,1 agg 3,79 (that's more like it)
      wtsd 27,5 w$sd 48,8

Total:
      HANDS PLAYED: 12.186
      PROFIT: 136,71
      PROFIT EV: 109,61
      CURRENT BR: 718,61

Tomorrow learning day, I'll post few hands from previous sessions, read about preflop play and then "playing the fishes"
    • tommygecko
      tommygecko
      Bronze
      Originally posted by zghrv
      You're totally right T. I've noticed that when I saw your graph - I'll put it on a list too.

Whats your stats? If you don't want to share it publicly we can do it directly.

You have to know that I play FR
      To be honest I don't know which of my stats contributes to my positive red line.

Other than these:
      Flop fold to cbet 49.8%. I float whenever I think the board hardly helps villain's range. Very often I can win the pot on the turn. It's nice to have some outs too on the flop (like overcards). Sometimes with connector type of hands if I have at least 2 backdoor draws I may raise vs his cbet IP.

Vs 3bet fold: 40%. I think this is abit too low and exploitable. However many fishes min 3bets even when OOP thus I have to call. Postflop I don't give up easily, which may be affecting my blue line (and helping my red line of course). I think a good fold to 3bet would be 50-60%, anything above 65 is exploitable IMO.

Sqz: 8.58%. I'm thinking yours should be around 3-4% right? Because that's what I had before I started to squeeze as a bluff. When a LAG reg opens and a fish behind him calls it's the best spot to squeeze IMO. Very often both will fold even if you are OOP. However make sure they have a high fold to 3bet (or high fold to flop cbet). Make sure you are balanced when squeezing though, because once you get exploited it hurts.

SB reraise steal/BB reraise steal: 8.56/11.7 I don't know whether these are considered high, but go and ahead and compare my values to yours.

River call efficiency: 1.43. This is a bad example. I think I make too many hero calls instead of folding, thus my red line is higher and blue line is lower. You should have a higher RCE than me. Around 1.7-2.2 perhaps.

I think bet sizing is important too. If you always bet big, your red line will generally be better and blue line worse because too many weaker hands fold. If you always bet too small you will reach the river often and have to face many difficult decisions which will negatively affect both your red and blue line.

I believe my high red line is actually a leak, because it seems to be affecting my blue line. So I may not give the best advice :f_biggrin:
    • zghrv
      zghrv
      Silver
      Thanks for sharing T.
      FLOP FOLD TO CB 49,8 60,8
      PREFLOP VS 3B FOLD 40,0 75,5
      SQZ 8,6 3,9
      SB STEAL RERAISE 8,6 7,8
      BB STEAL RERAISE 11,7 8,0
      RIVER CALL EFF 1,4 2,0

First are your stats, second are mine.
      Biggest difference is on flop fold to cb, I'm folding to 3b very often, you have ski high SQZ, I'm only at 3,9.
    • zghrv
      zghrv
      Silver
      Hi.
      Played two sessions:
      Total 1,7k hands -8$

AGAIN ALREADY SITOUT CLICKED; SESSION IS OVER I'M JUST WAITING FOR THE ROUND TO BE OVER, THEN TWO HANDS HAPPENS:

Play hand

Known players:
      BB:
      $10.00
      UTG1:
      $17.88
      UTG2:
      $25.35
      MP1:
      $31.05
      MP2:
      $10.08
      MP3 (Hero):
      $25.15
      CO:
      $25.60
      BU:
      $15.44
      SB:
      $29.84

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with K, K.
      UTG1 calls $0.25, UTG2 folds, MP1 raises to $0.75, MP2 folds, Hero raises to $2.50, 5 folds, MP1 raises to $31.05, Hero calls $22.65(All-In).

Flop: ($56.8) J, Q, A (2 players)

Turn: ($56.8) Q (2 players)

River: ($56.8) 7 (2 players)

Final Pot: $56.8.
      Results follow:

Hero shows two pairs, kings and queens(K K).
      MP1 shows a full-house, sevens full of queens(7 7).

MP1 wins with a full-house, sevens full of queens(7 7).

Play hand

Known players:
      UTG2:
      $16.31
      MP1 (Hero):
      $26.84
      MP2:
      $25.85
      MP3:
      $9.65
      CO:
      $7.76
      BU:
      $19.25
      SB:
      $2.19
      BB:
      $11.39
      UTG1:
      $51.63

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with K, K.
      UTG1 folds, UTG2 raises to $0.50, Hero raises to $1.75, 4 folds, SB raises to $2.19, BB folds, UTG2 calls $1.69, Hero calls $0.44.

Flop: ($6.82) 7, 5, 6 (2 players)
      UTG2 checks, Hero bets $5.50, UTG2 raises to $14.12(All-In), Hero calls $8.62.

Turn: ($35.06) Q (3 players)

River: ($35.06) T (3 players)

Final Pot: $35.06.
      Results follow:

Hero shows a pair of kings(K K).
      SB shows a pair of queens(A Q).
      UTG2 shows three of a kind, sixes(6 6).

UTG2 wins with three of a kind, sixes(6 6).

I just finished playing so you can get my frustration but ok, it happens. In the future when I'm done with a session, I'm leaving the tables right away.

Hands will be posted tomorrow.

HANDS PLAYED: 13.887
      PROFIT: 132,40
      PROFIT EV: 142,96
      CURRENT BR: 714,30
    • gavinonymous
      gavinonymous
      Bronze
      agreed. I'm also superstitious about pressing the sit out next big blind and getting your profits taken. i always play those last few hands super tight passive and fold if any kind of danger!

it's like they know you're going to leave and last chance to make some rake from you.

1st hand I would have flat called PF (you might have won it by the turn) Second hand fold flop - you pressed sit out and have KK so obviously someone has a set there :evil:
    • tommygecko
      tommygecko
      Bronze
      Originally posted by gavinonymous
      agreed. I'm also superstitious about pressing the sit out next big blind and getting your profits taken. i always play those last few hands super tight passive and fold if any kind of danger!

it's like they know you're going to leave and last chance to make some rake from you.

1st hand I would have flat called PF (you might have won it by the turn) Second hand fold flop - you pressed sit out and have KK so obviously someone has a set there :evil:
      1st hand- Depends on reads I guess, if you have seen villain stacking off with such pairs a few times you should raise to get max value. (Well in fact even without reads KK in that position is ALWAYS a 3bet unless villain folds 100% to 3bets.)

2nd hand- Don't think you're serious, no way that is a fold. I've seen 88 in these situations countless times. Of course villain can have 99-QQ too.