$0.25/$0.50 No Limit Hold'em - 5 players

Hero (BB): $52.25
      UTG: $53.79
      CO: $55.47
      BTN: $20.69
      SB: $17.75

Pre Flop: ($0.75) Hero is BB with A :diamond: Q :club:
      UTG raises to $1.50, 3 folds, Hero calls $1

Flop: ($3.25) 6 :club: 2 :heart: T :spade: (2 players)
      Hero checks, UTG bets $2, Hero raises to $6, UTG raises to $15, Hero raises to $50.75 all in, UTG folds

Villain:
      22 hands
      27/23

I expect him to cbet flop 90% since it's so dry.

So, I went for a bluff w/ x/r.

If he'd call then I'd assume him having sets and overpairs,
      since he's not getting much value by raising. (If he's on straightforward level.)

If I was in his spot I'd actually play overpairs like this,
      to get a JAM from aggressive player. (If I had a read.)

So, when he 3bets, his range is mostly air, even hands like
      6x, or 55, etc.

Just JAMed over.
  • 7 replies
    • Anger86
      Anger86
      Bronze
      $50.00 No Limit Hold'em - 4 players

BB: $57.36 - VPIP: 21, PFR: 17, 3B: 8, AF: 1,3, Hands: 77
      CO: $50.00 - VPIP: 25, PFR: 19, 3B: 6, AF: 1,9, Hands: 157
      BTN: $24.93 - VPIP: 33, PFR: 0, 3B: 0, AF: 2,0, Hands: 51
      Hero (SB): $53.00 - VPIP: 21, PFR: 18, 3B: 7, AF: 4,3, Hands: 5233

Pre Flop: ($0.75) Hero is SB with J :heart: A :diamond:
      CO raises to $1.50, 1 fold, Hero calls $1.25, 1 fold

Flop: ($3.50) 3 :heart: 6 :diamond: K :spade: (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO bets $2.00, Hero raises to $6, CO raises to $13.50, Hero raises to $51.50, CO folds

Different opponent, the same idea.

Your opinion.

Big thanks!
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Hey,

There's an old theorem called the Yeti theorem that states: A 3bet on a dry board is always a bluff.

The always part is a bit too much but it's quite often a bluff, especially when your opponent would have position so c/r here when you think you would induce raises to shove over is good, especially if you block some overpairs/have some overcard outs like you had in both cases.
    • GingerKid
      GingerKid
      Black
      Originally posted by Anger86
      $50.00 No Limit Hold'em - 4 players

BB: $57.36 - VPIP: 21, PFR: 17, 3B: 8, AF: 1,3, Hands: 77
      CO: $50.00 - VPIP: 25, PFR: 19, 3B: 6, AF: 1,9, Hands: 157
      BTN: $24.93 - VPIP: 33, PFR: 0, 3B: 0, AF: 2,0, Hands: 51
      Hero (SB): $53.00 - VPIP: 21, PFR: 18, 3B: 7, AF: 4,3, Hands: 5233

Pre Flop: ($0.75) Hero is SB with J :heart: A :diamond:
      CO raises to $1.50, 1 fold, Hero calls $1.25, 1 fold

Flop: ($3.50) 3 :heart: 6 :diamond: K :spade: (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO bets $2.00, Hero raises to $6, CO raises to $13.50, Hero raises to $51.50, CO folds

Different opponent, the same idea.

Your opinion.

Big thanks!

Interesting spot. I agree with you that his 3bet looks like a bluff. I would always just call you with any set, overpair, even with top pair, because your raise on a dry board looks like total bluff to me especially AJo hand.
      Now, the question is, how often this bluff 4bet works for you? Once he calls, you are mostly without outs. So I would do it at least with a gutshot. Also if you do this often, your check/raise increases a lot, and it is a sign for opponent that you bluff so often. Do you also check/raise with top pair to balance this line? Did some of player addapt to it, and what do you do when people see what are you doing, do you stop doint it?
    • Dublimax
      Dublimax
      Bronze
      Why don't you x/c if you think he CBet with 90% of his range?
      I don't really like x/r because you are not repping a lot and people will call you down lighter. What's your plan if called?
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Dublimax
      I don't really like x/r because you are not repping a lot and people will call you down lighter. What's your plan if called?
      If people 3bet a lot with air Hero will be fine. We would be getting into talks about our whole range and not about exploiting our opponent's tendencies. At NL50 you can find people 3bet/folding TT and just flat the raise with sets. :) That means, when called Hero can just shut down.
    • Dublimax
      Dublimax
      Bronze
      Originally posted by EmanuelC16
      If people 3bet a lot with air Hero will be fine. We would be getting into talks about our whole range and not about exploiting our opponent's tendencies. At NL50 you can find people 3bet/folding TT and just flat the raise with sets. :) That means, when called Hero can just shut down.
      hehehe I didnt know nl50 was that easy ;)

To me it looks like hero is planning on doing this as a default strategy though and it just doesn't make much sense. Obv as an exploitative strategy it's fine.
      Just wanted to point out this to OP
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Originally posted by EmanuelC16
      hehehe I didnt know nl50 was that easy ;)

To me it looks like hero is planning on doing this as a default strategy though and it just doesn't make much sense. Obv as an exploitative strategy it's fine.
      Just wanted to point out this to OP
      Yes, I agree, definitely not default strategy. :D We can actually 3bet more OOP (esp from SB) and we can construct very believable c/c range against players that don't barrel enough and bet river when turn checks through. :)