[NL20-NL50] AQ 3bet

• GingerKid
      GingerKid
      Black
      iPoker - $0.50 NL FAST (6 max) - Holdem - 4 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

Hero (SB): 100 BB
      BB: 99 BB (VPIP: 21.81, PFR: 18.83, 3Bet Preflop: 6.45, Hands: 923)
      CO: 100 BB (VPIP: 20.21, PFR: 11.40, 3Bet Preflop: 7.04, Hands: 201)
      BTN: 94.14 BB (VPIP: 24.57, PFR: 21.22, 3Bet Preflop: 8.29, Hands: 1,009)

Hero posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has Q:spade: A:diamond:

CO raises to 3 BB, fold, Hero raises to 9 BB, fold, CO calls 6 BB

Flop: (19 BB, 2 players) T:spade: 6:spade: 2:diamond:
      Hero bets 11 BB, CO calls 11 BB

Turn: (41 BB, 2 players) A:club:
      Hero bets 20.5 BB, CO calls 20.5 BB

River: (82 BB, 2 players) 3:spade:
      Hero bets 41 BB, fold

Hero shows Q:spade: A:diamond: (One Pair, Aces)
      Hero wins 78 BB

I am not sure if he ever calls with worse on river? Also it is pointless to check call there.
  • 7 replies
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Hey,

You can probably get a call from Tx that doesn't believe you since you rep mostly Ax. I think vbetting is fine, you should also bluff this spot a lot since your range is so much stronger than your opponent's.
    • jachis
      jachis
      Bronze
      Is the 3bet best play preflop against 20/12? Is it for value?

I guess if his fold to 3bet is low, the he defends most broadways and the we dominate him a lot.
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Originally posted by jachis

I guess if his fold to 3bet is low, the he defends most broadways and the we dominate him a lot.
      3betting doesn't have to be strictly for value. Our opponent can call with a range ahead of our hand but we can still make more money with position this way. :)
    • GingerKid
      GingerKid
      Black
      Originally posted by jachis

I usually 3bet AQo OOP, and call IP. AQs I call also OOP because of great playability. Versus aggro opponents who barrel wide more streets, I call any AQ from any position, because I think I get more money when they have initiative and I dominate their range.
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      There's also something else you can think about, esp since you are SB. What range do you actually flat here and why? In many cases, I think it's best to never flat SB and 3bet any hand you play. Have you considered that?
    • GingerKid
      GingerKid
      Black
      Originally posted by EmanuelC16
      There's also something else you can think about, esp since you are SB. What range do you actually flat here and why? In many cases, I think it's best to never flat SB and 3bet any hand you play. Have you considered that?
      I usually flat PP vs UTG and MP since they are easy to play and I have usually implied odds. Versus CO, BU I 3bet also low 22-77 PP because I dont expect implied odds when I hit set and they are hard to play OOP. It is a bit hard to play small PP when CO or BU calls, because people in NL50 float a lot, so sometimes I have to play tricky, check shove turn If I dont believe him.
      If I 3bet all hands from SB, then my 3bet range is so wide, and CO and BU can adjust by calling KJ+, 88+ and play IP. Isn't that bad?
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      3betting all hands from SB works well against wide ranges because they have to play back with weak ranges or just fold too much and when BB is a squeezer. If you flat a capped and mediocre range you will just get owned postflop too often OOP. As long as people don't exploit you it's fine to call but eventually you will have to either start flatting premiums or play 3bet only strategy from SB as a rule of thumb and deviate when the opportunity presents itself.