What are they (fishy-fishy) thinking?

• Styr
      Styr
      Silver
      I am playing hyper turboes, and I am yet to find intelligent life in the lower limits.

Could anybody give me a clue as to why the villain would make this play? :)

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, 3.5 Tournament, 15/30 Blinds 3 Ante (4 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from http://www.flopturnriver.com

saw flop | saw showdown

UTG (t232)
      Button (t1,076)
      SB (t1,133)
      Hero (BB) (t559)

Hero's M: 9.81

Preflop: Hero is BB with K:club: , 4:heart:
      2 folds, SB calls t15, Hero bets t556 (All-In), SB calls t526

Flop: (t1,124) Q:diamond: , 5:diamond: , A:club: (2 players, 1 all-in)

Turn: (t1,124) 9:diamond: (2 players, 1 all-in)

River: (t1,124) J:spade: (2 players, 1 all-in)

Total pot: t1,124
      Main pot: t1,124 between SB and Hero, won by Hero

SB had 8:spade: , 4:diamond: (high card, Ace).
      Hero had K:club: , 4:heart: (high card, Ace).
      Outcome: Hero won t1,124
  • 8 replies
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Hmmm,

I don't know what he was thinking there to be honest. I've played quite a few hypers over the past month. I have thought the play has been better than I expected.

Anyways, I don't see why you care here. You got it in with a dominated hand and won :)

Nice hand!
    • Styr
      Styr
      Silver
      Yes, I did, in this case. Yet it severely limits this type of play from me - which I'd otherwise find very profitable, if they were only to fold their small blind limps. :P
    • badgerer
      badgerer
      Silver
      classic spite call
    • puzzlewell
      puzzlewell
      Bronze
      They think it's a coinflip, that's why they call. I have no other explanations.

Like you said, in this case, you happen to dominate him, and you won. Some other times, when both their cards are alive, they could have won. It comes down to the ugly truth, if you don't have a strong hand in this type of situations, you either gonna win or lose.
    • akrammon
      akrammon
      Bronze
      they don't think in percentages and equity. This fine specimen probably thought "This f*cking a**hole is bullying me again! He can't push me around!!! I'll show him!!"

Or

"I feel that I'll win this one. I see 4 eights and 5 fours on the flop"

or just drunk.
    • akrammon
      akrammon
      Bronze
      And also the "I'll show him, and I can't drop out anyway"
    • ipeaceonu
      ipeaceonu
      Bronze
      They are not actually thinking, that's why they are fishes :D
    • pzhon
      pzhon
      Bronze
      There are actually quite a few possibilities. The player might see lots of people going all-in with trash and not appreciate the difference between pushing and calling. The player may not understand that a short stack's push should still be respected when it is for more than 10 BB. The player might just be curious at what you have because you have pushed on his limps the last few times.

It is way too easy to make fun of the caller instead of trying to do better yourself. The better you can understand plays like this, the better you can exploit bad players. You can recognize times when it is more or less likely that they will make a loose call. You can adjust your pushing range to reflect that you might get called by a weak hand, and not just a respectable one, so a hand like K7 could be better than 87. You might adjust your range after you have pushed several times in a row. You can take a note that this player limped, then called all-in with low trash without getting odds. These are important for extracting a few percent extra ROI from bad players. If you don't need a few percent more ROI you don't need to pay attention, but for many people, learning to exploit bad players better would have a large proportional benefit.