Lost My Motivation to Play?

• maythany
      maythany
      Bronze
      Hello,

I'm going to keep it short and not write a whole entire story about why I don't have the motivation to play poker anymore.

Basically, I started playing 6 max sngs awhile back and grinding every day (mostly). I decided that it was time for me to move up to the $3.50s because my statistics indicated that I am skillful enough.

After 20 games I ended up making around 8 dollar-ish and I logged off and began reading the book: Mental Game. This was two weeks ago and I haven't played poker since then.

I seem to be finding excuses to not play like going to the washroom, eating, surfing the internet, and what-not. This was never a problem before and I don't know how to regain my motivation. I've watched motivation videos on youtube and that didn't work.

I think it's because I'm afraid of failing so I don't bother to play at all, but I'm not really sure that's the case. Has anyone gone through the same situation as me and can shed some light on this matter?

Thanks,

Maythany
  • 4 replies
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Hey maythany,

I can certainly subscribe to what you have posted above. The answer is quite simple though - if you don't feel like playing - then don't!

Take a break for however long it takes to get your motivation back. Everyone feels this way once in a while. I certainly do. So, recharge your batteries and come back strong!

Gary
    • dogma18
      dogma18
      Bronze
      Hey mate!

I went through a patch like this about 3 weeks or so where i was on a huge breakeven spell and my motivation was dead. What I did was just stop focusing on results at all and focus solely on my game.

There must be ways you can improve your game that you haven't thought of yet.
      for example are you,

1. Adjusting versus different opponents? Read your HUD stats on each player and learn what ways to adjust to play better against them. If the players in the blinds have low resteal and call in bb stats start opening any two against them. If a reg has just raised and you are in positon, 3-bet the hell out of him and put the pressure on.

2. Learning ranges? The bubble stages is where you make your money so spend a few hours on sng wiz/icmizer just plugging in different stats and learn your shoving ranges against all types of player.

3. Playing enough tables? to get through a breakeven stretch volume is key. Try adding more tables slowly until you can play 8-16 without any problems, maybe move to the $1.50s to practice but this is a skill that you NEED for sngs so you are better learning it early. I spent a month or so messing around with the software on stars and tableninja so that i had a set up which suited me.

Anyway good luck and try not to get too down if things go wrong, it happens in poker
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Originally posted by maythany
      Basically, I started playing 6 max sngs awhile back and grinding every day (mostly). I decided that it was time for me to move up to the $3.50s because my statistics indicated that I am skillful enough.

After 20 games I ended up making around 8 dollar-ish and I logged off and began reading the book: Mental Game. This was two weeks ago and I haven't played poker since then.
      Personal prejudice alert!
      Playing SnGs will demotivate anyone. I HATE them.
      You can play your A-Game for 2 hours, and one suck-out wipes you out.

Cash games rule!

Mental Game
      The Mental Game of Poker is not a *read* but a *do*.

The book is not something you just read, you take action, and chapter-by-chapter you put into practice the things that the book teaches.

When I first realized I was in a condition of Insane Monkey Tilt I had no clue that I had been suffering accumulated tilt for a long time.

I bought the book, and like yourself did not play very much for a while.

Scan my blog to see what I did.

All the best,
      --VS
    • maythany
      maythany
      Bronze
      Thanks guys I really appreciate the time you all took to help me out. :)