I'm Bluffing

• philiveyfan
      I know the answer but I can't stop doing it, I'm actually an good player If I stop bluffing, the problem I have is I bluff so much and I know your going to say then don't bluff so much. Any other tips. I'm the type of player who for the most does a 3 barrel bluff and I need to stop ??
  • 5 replies
    • metza
      Try to understand your opponents ranges in relation to the board texture better, that way you will realize that there are some spots where 3barrel bluff is good, and others where it is just burning cash.
    • tommygecko
      Always have a reason for every action you make in poker. When you bluff ask yourself, why? If just had a 'feeling' it will work, or you just had to do it. Why? If you can't think of a good reason(s) to bluff you shouldn't do it.

You say you 3 barrel bluff alot. Why do you 3 barrel bluff a calling station/passive fishes? Do you really think they will fold the river (even if it is a scare card) after calling 2 streets? The answer is no and therefore you shouldn't. This is just a simple example, in most cases the thought process would be deeper.

Most importantly, think before you bluff! Don't just click buttons because you feel like it. Be more disciplined. You know you are a good player if you bluff less, so take action!
    • awesomeo
      First of all get away from the mentality that you are good player If you stop bluffing. It doesn't mean anything so it is unnecessary statement. The fish is also good player if he/she stop limping :) If you stop bluffing and never do it again in your life you are not a good player obv.

Second - drop the ego man. Bluffing goes hand to hand with ego - showing people how tough you are, dominating the table, desire to win every pot, feeling it's your money there in the pot and similar sort of bullshit. Poker is not about that.

Third - as a general advice - bluffing is about making better hands fold, but it is not about making strong hands fold. Trying to make someone fold TP in the micros (and above) is usually not a great plan. Trying to fold middle pair, busted draw or A high with 3 barrels is great plan. When someone call you down with these adapt!

4th If you bluff more you will get called more! If you bluff less you will get called less. It has 2 effects - bluffing more = bigger variance and more value for made hands. It requires strong mindset that can handle bigger swings. You are the one that can tell if you have that or not and if you don't you are better off playing more conservative style.
      Awesome post awesomeo!
    • VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Originally posted by philiveyfan
      I'm actually an good player If I stop bluffing
      As someone else pointed out, if you stop bluffing entirely, you'll be a lousy player, just the other side up.

Playing poker is like having zits.
      "To get better, you must pick your spots carefully"

So find the right time to bluff, and have at 'er.

Find the right time to fold and do so happily.

Watch pleno1's coaching on Wednesday and watch him do both in zits, er I mean spots -- that will surprise you. When he does though, he explains WHY!

All the best,