[NL2-NL10] NL5 Zoom Double barrel?

• cheekopeh
      cheekopeh
      Bronze
      Poker Stars, $0.02/$0.05 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

BTN: $9.45 (189 bb)
      SB: $5.02 (100.4 bb)
      BB: $2.98 (59.6 bb)
      UTG: $2.05 (41 bb)
      Hero (MP): $5.88 (117.6 bb)
      CO: $7.45 (149 bb)

Preflop: Hero is MP with K J
      UTG folds, Hero raises to $0.15, CO folds, BTN calls $0.15, 2 folds

Flop: ($0.37) 4 5 9 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.20, BTN calls $0.20

Turn: ($0.77) A (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.45, BTN calls $0.45

River: ($1.67) T (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN checks

Results:
      $1.67 pot ($0.07 rake)
      Final Board: 4 5 9 A T
      BTN showed 2 A and won $1.60 ($0.80 net)
      Hero showed K J and lost (-$0.80 net)

BU - ( $9.45 USD ) - VPIP: 13, PFR: 6, 3B: 0, AF: 0.0, Hands: 16

Should I double barrel on e A here? I don't have much info on Villain and my initial plan was to c-bet bluff this dry flop & then give up. But when e A hits, I decided to barrel again.

Think I made a mistake now, legitimate PPs that will fold are 66-88. And even 22-33 now has a GS. And if he floats me w A high I'm screwed now. If he doesn't have A high and only overcards then mine are good. So I guess all in all, it was pretty bad to double barrel?
  • 7 replies
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Hey Cheekopeh,

As a general rule the A is going to be good to barrel.

There are two reasons I would not barrel in this instance,

- So far villain is shaping up to be tight. A strong range is going to be less susceptible to bluffs, period.

- You don't actually turn any additional pot-equity. It's always nice if you pick up a flush-draw or gutshot to go with your fold equity which you don't in this instance.

Btw, KJo is a pretty borderline open from MP, you can easily fold this preflop.
    • bmfbpi
      bmfbpi
      Bronze
      I think it's fine. Villain will peel that flop with a lof of pp an broadways excluding Ax which will fold to your turn barrel.

And speaking of turn barrelling, w34z3l, can you please tell us how often a villain needs to fold for a turn barrel to be succeasful ? Assuming 2/3 pot cbet ?
    • cutegoldfish
      cutegoldfish
      Bronze
      post removed, wrong hand commented.
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      Its fine to barrel here. We open from utg/mp and our ranges here contains a lot of ax hands. Besides he seems tight so i think he rarely has A2s/A3s gtshot floats and he probably folds AQ on the flop vs a cbet.
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Originally posted by bmfbpi
      And speaking of turn barrelling, w34z3l, can you please tell us how often a villain needs to fold for a turn barrel to be succeasful ? Assuming 2/3 pot cbet ?
      Roughly speaking about 40% of the time (assuming no pot-equity).

I think barelling into strong preflop ranges is going to be a losing strategy at 5nl.

The fact we can have Ax in our range is simply not that relevant at 5nl. You should barely be thinking about perceived range when most players do not understand how to hand read. I would not expect a random opponent to fold AQo on the flop or most pairs on the turn. This is micro-stakes.

It's a great spot to barrel at higher stakes though, sure. Probably going to be a (slightly) losing strategy at 5nl even if profitable at 200nl. In fact 50nl+ I would barrel always here, but I tailor my strategy advice specific to the stakes played.
    • cheekopeh
      cheekopeh
      Bronze
      Originally posted by w34z3l
      Originally posted by bmfbpi
      Roughly speaking about 40% of the time (assuming no pot-equity).

I think barelling into strong preflop ranges is going to be a losing strategy at 5nl.

The fact we can have Ax in our range is simply not that relevant at 5nl. You should barely be thinking about perceived range when most players do not understand how to hand read. I would not expect a random opponent to fold AQo on the flop or most pairs on the turn. This is micro-stakes.

It's a great spot to barrel at higher stakes though, sure. Probably going to be a (slightly) losing strategy at 5nl even if profitable at 200nl. In fact 50nl+ I would barrel always here, but I tailor my strategy advice specific to the stakes played.
      Very clear. Players at NL5 can't read your hands I will do well to keep that in mind. Thanks for the explanation!
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      no probs :)