Banker in war

• iambanker
      iambanker
      Bronze
      Hi grinders!

Finally I decided to start a thread, I hope it is not too late :) . So about me. I am (very) active member of CZ/SK Pokerstrategy community for more than one year. Except my spamming qualities on forum I also work as judge for up to NL50 HJ forums and probably soon start public coachings for this community. Actually I am playing NL100 with some shots on NL200.

I saw that everybody put some picture in their thread, here is mine:

It's logo created by myself which in fact say lot about me. As it may be obv, I really love math and it refrects the way how I approach poker. I am that kind of analytical guy who like to search for optimal strategies, spends lot of time with poker software like equilab counting combinations and expected value of different lines. It also reflect quite my poker style, I prefer to be aggresive (sometimes probably too much) and play on the looser side.

If you asked me sometimes ago what were my goals in poker, I would quickly reply that crush NL1K until the end of year :D Nowdays I hope that I will be able to play at least NL400 in midterm horizon. There are lot of reasons for this change, some personal (I study at university and it of course require some time) and some more objective like lets say not such beautiful perspectives of future poker development.

I think that my strenghts are my analytical approach and deeper(theoretical) understanding of spots. I have actually problem mainly with mindset:
      1. My mood works as sinusiod with approx. 2 weeks cycle, for first 2 weeks I have lot of enthusiasm and really enjoy the game and offtable analysis and then suddenly come period when I really hate to sit at tables, I am too lazy to open equilab and analyze spot. So far I have not find any trigger which cause this.
      2. I too often spew during session, eg. I exactly know that I should fold in some situation but then I call and hate my life when see villain's better hand

I have started to read Tendler's Mental game of poker so I hope it will help me :)

Ok, so that's it :) Gl guys.
  • 9 replies
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      Hi.

Welcome to the bootcamp forums. Since u like analytical stuff u can start with some database analysis i think it could help u if u have a huge sample.
    • ErikStenqvist
      ErikStenqvist
      Global
      Originally posted by iambanker
      1.I am too lazy to open equilab and analyze spot. So far I have not find any trigger which cause this.

2. I too often spew during session, eg. I exactly know that I should fold in some situation but then I call and hate my life when see villain's better hand

3.I have started to read Tendler's Mental game of poker so I hope it will help me :)
      [I]Hey!

My name is Erik and I will be part of the coaching staff focusing on Tilt, A-Game, Mindset, and Lifecoaching.

1. Can you see any pattern to what happens before you get lazy? Does anything specific usually happen before your mindset changes?

2. Can you elaborate a bit more on this. If you can help me relive the situation and what it is like to be you emotionally, thoughts etc in the situation it will be easier to understand :)

3. A very good read. If you find any parts of it that seems to explain an issue you have then let me know... :)

Welcome!
    • iambanker
      iambanker
      Bronze
      Hi guys, thank you for your responses :)

@mbml: I was playing on site where I was able to change often my nickname therefore I have like 4 accounts each with sample of 40K hands max (or is there possibility to merge more HHs into one in HEM?)

@Erik:
      1. Unfortunately, I can't. As I said, it usually about 2 weeks period, during first 2 weeks I play and analyze a lot (sometimes even 10-12h/day) and then suddenly I wake up and feel to be 'burn out', it is very painful during this time to sit at tables and try to concentrate and play 'A game'(I absolutely don't enjoy the game).

2. Ok, I try to describe it. During the hand when I am facing litle bit more difficult decision (eg. calling the rest of my stack in 3bet pot) or even the easier one (facing raise on T as UTG on dry board from ABC TAGish player, who is just in 99% cases raising set) I start to think about it, start to solve the problem, counting combinations or whatever, then I conclude that I should really just fold (coz it is very likely that calling is -EV) but in the last few seconds of timebank I just click call button and see villain's nuts (or the hand I was putting him on).

3. Definitely ;)
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      Use an alias, the alias can combine several usernames into one.
    • iambanker
      iambanker
      Bronze
      Thank you, didn't know about that.

Anyway, let's look deeply into my soul :D

This are my stats so far this year

Just for illustration purposes graph (it might look that something happened around 20K, but personally I think that first 20K hands was just very good run, on the other hand, I think that the end is mostly very very bad run - after 65K I played very solid)

If u can spot any problem, let me know plz :) I would really appreciate also advices about filters in HEM which I could apply to find problems. So far I have filtered some situations and the results:
      - losing when coldcalling on BB
      - losing on small PPs (sample ~300 hands, -5BI I think, already calling rarely, considering to start folding like 90% of time except situations with fish behind for example)
      - probably too low W$SD considering that I am not redline winner (so the problem might be to call too often marginal hands on river or too aggresive with value hands?)

Btw, last days I was focusing mainly on playing very solid, start to fold more often right on the flop and don't spew in marginal spots (not ch/r without very good reason with bluffs just because it might work) and feel pretty good with it (maybe the problem is that I just spew too often with crap).
    • sirrybob
      sirrybob
      Coach
      Coach
      Your preflop and postflop stats seem fine in general. Can see you have put some work into the math :-)

Two things that strike me:
      Your W$SD is 47% which is unusually low.
      Your river call efficency is below 1 in some positions.

I would try to concentrate less on playing your ranges unexploitably, and more on trying to categorize player types and exploiting them by folding a bit more vs the people who aren't bluffing you often. Most of the players at 50nl are clearcut bluffing too little or too much so I think you could increase your W$SD and river call efficency by trying to adjust to players and playing less GTO.

I'm just guessing from a look at your stats though so could be way off... :-)
      What do you think?
    • iambanker
      iambanker
      Bronze
      I always check player cbets stats and think about his tendencies, but yes, it might be the problem that I still defend too much. It often happen that I call because I am on the top of my range even the player might have zero (or very small) bluff range in some particular spot. So I am going to fold more on the flop and turn which should help me to have stronger range on the river and make less bad calls.

Btw, the sample is 99% from nl100 (there are some hands from nl200, but not many, ~500)
    • sirrybob
      sirrybob
      Coach
      Coach
      That sounds good. Calling because you are at the top of your range is something we do to prevent very good players from owning us when they recognize that our range is weak.

A better thought process vs a lot of players would be:
      1. What is villain's valuebetting range?
      2. How likely is he to be bluffing?
      3. Considering those two factors, is my call +ev?

Often you will find that there are spots where folding the top of your range is more than fine. Esp with the stats you have now I doubt people are targetting you for unbalanced bluffing.
    • iambanker
      iambanker
      Bronze
      I recently recognized 2 mindset problems.

1. I get frustrated when I go all in even when I am favourite. For example today I was pf all in KK vs TT and I realized, that I was looking at table, waiting for flop, turn and river and expecting T to come and suck me. I think that this is result of bad run which I have been enjoing couple of last weeks.

2. I have probably too high expectations on myself. I was working really hard on my game last months, made a lot of analytical stuff and don't see results (still strugling on nl100).

Any advices how to solve these problems? :)