The Problem with Sunday Tournaments

• PhoenixPhreak
      PhoenixPhreak
      Bronze
      It seems to me that Sunday tournaments are set up for North and South Americans. Of course this just means the Europeans have later in the afternoon, or worse case scenario, evening starts. But for those of us in Asia (I'm in Japan), it is impossible for us to play Sunday tournaments.

I would start at 1, 2, 3, or even 4am. I have to leave for work by 8, so my only hope would be to bust before I have to leave... kind of defeating the purpose of playing a tournament.

I'm curious, Why don't these tournaments have Sunday morning Asia start times and stretch around the world for Saturday start times at the UTC- time zones?
  • 21 replies
    • Akcus
      Akcus
      Bronze
      Not sure that i follow, are you saying the sunday tournaments should all have asia morning start times instead? Introduce some new ones that start then? stretch around the world for saturday starts?
    • tommygecko
      tommygecko
      Bronze
      I think he wants the Sunday tournaments (Sunday storm, warmup, million etc) to start earlier so that Asian/Oceanic players can play without having to skip work on Monday
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      From time to time I have to take a day off work to play.

I had always thought that the start times favoured Europe -- they get to play in the evening.

It is a rare Sunday that I don't have some obligation or other happening during the day.

--VS
    • martoman2k10
      martoman2k10
      Bronze
      Yea, I know it sucks but if you want MTT action you might as well play MTTSNGs or something. I suppose Stars can make two tournaments on the same day - say Sunday Storm for Canada etc players and one that favours Asian countries.

But then, the guarantees and runners will be smaller
    • PhoenixPhreak
      PhoenixPhreak
      Bronze
      I find it an inconvenience myself. And I think it could be an obstacle to growing poker in Asia. I'm not saying it isn't already growing great, and obviously this applies to Australia and such too.
      But basically, the current system eliminates all people out East from joining the pool, except for people with no Monday jobs or pro poker players...
      I think sites are missing out.
    • dumanis
      dumanis
      Basic
      +1

I'm in Taiwan

every big mtt starts in the late night

every week is kind of reverse day and night

very bad for health
    • ikkvr
      ikkvr
      Bronze
      Same problem In india Only good tournaments to play are sunday spark at 2:30 pm Rest all in the night
    • SPeedFANat1c
      SPeedFANat1c
      Gold
      I am in europe and still hate that best tournaments start at suday evening. I have to go to sleep 11 p.m to have about 8 hours of sleep before work at UTC+2 so I have not much time.

One good thing recently found that there were those micro millions and on ok time with good prize pool and ton of players :)
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Originally posted by SPeedFANat1c
      I am in europe and still hate that best tournaments start at suday evening. I have to go to sleep 11 p.m to have about 8 hours of sleep before work at UTC+2 so I have not much time.

One good thing recently found that there were those micro millions and on ok time with good prize pool and ton of players :)
      Agree with this. They did move the majors back a little after Black Friday but I believe there is still further room to move them back a couple of hours more :)
    • Maloco87
      Maloco87
      Bronze
      i think if they could move the sunday storm and sunday million etc back two hours and it would help a great deal
    • Hamishk
      Hamishk
      Bronze
      Pft.

Moving it back two hours so I could start the tourney at 3:30 AM...

I'm a morning person. But not That Much of a morning person
    • TinoLaan
      TinoLaan
      Bronze
      Of course it sucks, but they can hardly please everybody world-wide... I suppose Pokerstars figures they get the most players by hosting these tournaments at these specific times, and I highly doubt they're going to change that.

I know I wouldn't, if I were Pokerstars, because they'll probably earn less by hosting it at much earlier/later times.

But yeah, I understand it sucks... :(
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Originally posted by TinoLaan
      Of course it sucks, but they can hardly please everybody world-wide... I suppose Pokerstars figures they get the most players by hosting these tournaments at these specific times, and I highly doubt they're going to change that.

I know I wouldn't, if I were Pokerstars, because they'll probably earn less by hosting it at much earlier/later times.

But yeah, I understand it sucks... :(
      Fair point, they could alternate it every week/second week month or whatever but I guess that would get confusing for the masses.

The rule of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" probably applies here.
    • TinoLaan
      TinoLaan
      Bronze
      Yes, that would probably make things unnecessarily complicated. Another option would be to have all tournaments run twice, but that also means they have to guarantee double the prize money, which I highly doubt is something they want to do...

So yeah, there's essentially no chance anything's going to change. And indeed, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" probably applies here, as unfortunate as it might be for a lot of players..
    • tommygecko
      tommygecko
      Bronze
      Originally posted by TinoLaan
      Yes, that would probably make things unnecessarily complicated. Another option would be to have all tournaments run twice, but that also means they have to guarantee double the prize money, which I highly doubt is something they want to do...

So yeah, there's essentially no chance anything's going to change. And indeed, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" probably applies here, as unfortunate as it might be for a lot of players..
      Guarantee's aren't really a problem if they are always smashed (on pokerstars it is always the case)

If tournaments run twice there could be a problem attracting players to one of them. So I think a better idea is to have different starting times on alternate weekends. Something like that.
    • TinoLaan
      TinoLaan
      Bronze
      Good point. Not sure if they're going to get smashed as easily though when they run it twice...

They're not going to change anything, and I think we'll just have to live with it :(

But I don't even really care too much, I can't play $215 tournaments (yet) anyway :f_biggrin:
    • SPeedFANat1c
      SPeedFANat1c
      Gold
      Of course it sucks, but they can hardly please everybody world-wide...

What part of the world like this time?

If americans could play, then I would think its for americans, but as I know americans cant play on pokerstars. Fo europe time is bad, for asia its bad. So for which it is good?
    • OZSA
      OZSA
      Bronze
      stars forgot to change the MTT schedule since americans got banned, so it sucks for everyone except for south america and canada, even in europe if you want to play high stakes MTT, like 100$+ you can't have a monday job, most of them start at around 10-11PM and you have to stay up till noon if you make it deep anywhere.. so yeah, it sucks for all of us, but there's no good solution, except if everyone would play on domestic sites, which again would suck..
    • SPeedFANat1c
      SPeedFANat1c
      Gold
      or south america and canada,

But is there poker more popular than in europe? if not then it does not make sence to have best time for them