Stacks:
      UTG ($16.89) 169bb
      DrDunne (CO) ($12.58) 126bb
      BTN ($5.82) 58bb
      SB ($9.90) 99bb
      BB ($14.85) 149bb

Pre-Flop: ($0.15, 5 players) DrDunne is CO K:spade: K:club:
      1 fold, DrDunne raises to $0.30, BTN calls $0.30, 2 folds

Flop: J:heart: 9:heart: Q:club: ($0.75, 2 players)
      DrDunne bets $0.65, BTN calls $0.65

Turn: 5:club: ($2.05, 2 players)
      DrDunne bets $1.40, BTN calls $1.40

River: 3:heart: ($4.85, 2 players)
      DrDunne bets $3.65, BTN goes all-in $3.47

Final Pot: $11.79
      BTN shows
      3:spade: J:spade:
      DrDunne shows
      K:spade: K:club:

BTN wins $11.21 (net +$5.39)

DrDunne collects $0.18 (net -$5.82)

villain is obviously a fishy guy and i'm never sure what to do in these spots.

river check/call to let him bluff some hands/bet himself with weaker or just ship the rest of the money myself for pure value?

thanks
  • 4 replies
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      Hi,

I think both c/c or putting him all-in are fine plays. I would not fold kings against him and you may save by money (also induce buffs) if you c/c river, so I would prefer that more.

best regards,
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      i was thinking since he's so fishy i'll be missing value from KQ,AQ, other random pair hands by not betting river myself. i can't just assume im behind and i think he'll check back with many hands i beat rather than bet them himself.

if villain was a reg (obv stacks would be larger), how do you feel about bet bet check/call on this board? i think a reg would raise 2pair/sets on the flop/turn for protection from the straights, and i block the straight with KK so would it be fine to check/call this river vs a regular? i guess it's really read dependent, but what would you say vs an unknown who we assume to be a reg...
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      Hi.

I don't think c/c is a good idea. This guy is fishy, and we can assume that most fishy guys are passive. This means that villain's betting range on the River is highly weighted towards KT and flushes, which means that you are only paying off better hands. He will probably check back QX, and I don't think he turns stuff like JT or T9 into a bluff on the River.

So i think our options here are to c/f or shove ourselves. If this guy is loose pre and has high WTSD (station tendencies), then betting would be better than check/folding.

If we were full-stacked here, I would half pot and fold to a raise. but given the short stacks I think shoving is fine if we knew he is loose.

We beat AQ KQ QT,
      We lose to Flushes, J9 KT QJ, some slowplayed sets

If he's even looser we lose to Q9 but we beat Q8 Q7s Q6s Q5s Q4s etc
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      yeah this guy really was a station so it helped me to make the river bet