[NL20-NL50] AJs vs 4b bu

• GingerKid
      GingerKid
      Black
      iPoker - $0.50 NL FAST (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

BB: 549.1 BB (VPIP: 24.38, PFR: 18.41, 3Bet Preflop: 9.01, Hands: 1,211)
      UTG: 107.68 BB (VPIP: 18.98, PFR: 14.80, 3Bet Preflop: 7.43, Hands: 1,147)
      MP: 48.98 BB (VPIP: 25.64, PFR: 17.95, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 39)
      CO: 100 BB (VPIP: 11.11, PFR: 11.11, 3Bet Preflop: 25.00, Hands: 9)
      BTN: 100 BB (VPIP: 24.35, PFR: 20.47, 3Bet Preflop: 10.43, Hands: 1,151)
      Hero (SB): 100 BB

Hero posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has J:spade: A:spade:

fold, fold, fold, BTN raises to 2.5 BB, Hero raises to 8 BB, fold, BTN raises to 18 BB, Hero raises to 100 BB and is all-in, BTN calls 82 BB

Flop: (201 BB, 2 players) 6:club: 8:club: K:spade:

Turn: (201 BB, 2 players) 3:diamond:

River: (201 BB, 2 players) J:heart:

BTN shows A:diamond: T:diamond: (High Card, Ace) (Pre 30%, Flop 16%, Turn 7%)
      Hero shows J:spade: A:spade: (One Pair, Jacks) (Pre 70%, Flop 84%, Turn 93%)
      Hero wins 195 BB

steals bu 50%, 4bets from bu 33%. AJs has 30% equity versus his call range if he goes with strong hands only, but since se 4bets so often, especially versus me when he sees my high 3bet vs bu probably thats why he 4bets each time versus me.
  • 9 replies
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi GingerKid,

Preflop: This is a bit loose but he is a special case.

The sample of hands you have on him is rather large which means that his 4-bet numbers are more accurate.

I think we can also experiment with 5-betting smaller given the smaller raise/3bet/4bet.

Now that we know that he stacks off this light AJs can even be considered a shove for thin value (considering that he calls worse and probably folds a lot too).
    • GingerKid
      GingerKid
      Black
      Originally posted by BogdanPS
      Hi GingerKid,

The sample of hands you have on him is rather large which means that his 4-bet numbers are more accurate.

I think we can also experiment with 5-betting smaller given the smaller raise/3bet/4bet.

Now that we know that he stacks off this light AJs can even be considered a shove for thin value (considering that he calls worse and probably folds a lot too).
      Yeah, as you said he is special, against other people I dont stack AJs. I tried min 5bet with my premiums but it never works, they always stack their bad hands.
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      Hi,

you can consider flatting the 4bet with a suited broadway. I think that is often going to be an option in Blind vs BU battles. Because BU is often going to be minraising, and thus the 3/4b sizes are smaller as well. When the 4bet size is <20bb, you are risking way more to win 18bb here which makes your 5b jam less profitable.

As bogdan mentioned you have the option of min 5betting too. But I don't like to do it with AJs here. I prefer doing it with AK/QQ+ and with some other air for balance. AJs is just a very vulnerable hand in general.

Thanks.
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by GingerKid
      Hi GingerKid,

Yeah, as you said he is special, against other people I dont stack AJs. I tried min 5bet with my premiums but it never works, they always stack their bad hands.
      Not much to add here but what mbml said it's also an option. The only downside is that you play OOP with a lower SPR but AJs should play well versus his 4-bet range in a ~36 BB pot.
    • pokerferrer
      pokerferrer
      Bronze
      GingerKid, I don't know dinamic on speed poker tables, but you are either a genius, or fish. :f_cool:
      I think it is very lose and without specific reads on nl50 it will be very bad dicision usually. :)
      And also I think on regular tables it's much better to make such moves, because other opponents will see it, this will change positively your image.
    • GingerKid
      GingerKid
      Black
      Originally posted by pokerferrer
      GingerKid, I don't know dinamic on speed poker tables, but you are either a genius, or fish. :f_cool:
      I think it is very lose and without specific reads on nl50 it will be very bad dicision usually. :)
      And also I think on regular tables it's much better to make such moves, because other opponents will see it, this will change positively your image.
      I think it doesnt really matter if we play speed tables or normal, because anyway in NL50 everybody has statistics, except fish maybe. So you anyway see how much he goes all in and 4bet, and with which cards exactly.
      So what do you do, when you 3bet from blinds with AJs, versus BU, who steals 50%, and 4bets you almost each time? If you fold each hand, and just 5bet JJ+, AK, it is definitely not going to be profitable. This guy 4bets from BU 33% (each third time), and versus me much more (almost each time) because my 3bet versus bu is high.
      So from BB I usually just call his open raise with AJs, but when I am sb I can't call, because I give good odds to bb to call, and play OOP versus two guys, or bb if aggro (and this bb 3bets 9%) can sqeeze and I am in a tough spot with mostly best hand.
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      HI GingerKid,

If anything, regulars are more 3-bet/4-bet happy at speed tables and in this particular case it's all about the player and the dynamic/history that we have with him.

If this person was unknown or we had a small sample on then I'd agree with you. But here we actually have some good history and info on the opponent.
    • GingerKid
      GingerKid
      Black
      HI GingerKid,

If anything, regulars are more 3-bet/4-bet happy at speed tables and in this particular case it's all about the player and the dynamic/history that we have with him.

If this person was unknown or we had a small sample on then I'd agree with you. But here we actually have some good history and info on the opponent.
      Sorry, I didnt get what you mean about history about opponent. You quoted "pokerferrer", and say "hi Gingerkid" and then you say if we would have history about our opponent then you would aggre with me. So I dont get on what would you agree if we would have history?
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      It has to be a typo :)