[NL2-NL10] nl10 SH AK against donkbet

• DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      Prima, $0.05/$0.10 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

MP: $9.93 (99.3 bb)
      CO: $17 (170 bb)
      BTN: $14.39 (143.9 bb)
      SB: $27.14 (271.4 bb)
      BB: $5.50 (55 bb)
      Hero (UTG): $10.92 (109.2 bb)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K A
      Hero raises to $0.30, 4 folds, BB calls $0.20

Flop: ($0.65) 5 A 9 (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.50, BB calls $0.50

Turn: ($1.65) 3 (2 players)
      BB bets $0.80, Hero raises to $5, BB calls $3.90 and is all-in

River: ($11.05) 8 (2 players, 1 is all-in)

Results:
      $11.05 pot ($0.55 rake)
      Final Board: 5 A 9 3 8
      BB showed 9 A and won $10.50 ($5 net)
      Hero showed K A and won $0.00 (-$5.50 net)

im pretty sure i played this hand fine but i just wanted to double check. i interpret his turn donk to be weak but i wasn't exactly sure at the time. he can't really be block betting since there are pretty much no completed draws... i decided to raise because i was planning to bet bet bet for his stack, but once he donks it's a bit of a smaller bet and if i call it makes the river a little annoying. i decided to ship thinking weaker Ax hands will definitely not fold but maybe this is wrong and he only continues with 2P+, after all the board isn't that wet.

the other idea would be to call his donk ott but i don't know if this is good..
  • 3 replies
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi DrDunne,

Preflop: looks fine

Postflop: So if we are interpreting his donk bet as weak why are we shoving on him?

I would either raise small or just call and ship river. Ax+ loses the money anyway. You want max value from the rest.
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      that's a good point. well i wouldn't say weak, but definitely weighted towards Ax hands. i think if i raise he'll still call with weaker and the reason i shipped is because if i raise smaller he'll most likely ship over anyway and i'm not folding.

and how would you proceed if the board texture was like this:
      5 :heart: A :club: 9 :club:

6 :club:

on this texture, would my play be okay?
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by DrDunne
      that's a good point. well i wouldn't say weak, but definitely weighted towards Ax hands. i think if i raise he'll still call with weaker and the reason i shipped is because if i raise smaller he'll most likely ship over anyway and i'm not folding.

and how would you proceed if the board texture was like this:
      5 :heart: A :club: 9 :club:

6 :club:

on this texture, would my play be okay?
      Ax will lose the money versus you (or you versus him) no matter what. You have to see if there's anything else you can get value from.

As for the other texture we could just call because he could block bet an Ax on a turn such as that. Shoving would be a big overplay.