[NL20-NL50] 2nd Pair GK, BU vs BB

• PriscoInline
      PriscoInline
      Bronze
      Zoom table, Unknown player.
      I consider him to be fishy since he had 0 PFR after 25ish hands.
      I don't want to raise flop, so I can manage to keep the pot small.
      After blank cand on turn I can see him semi-bluffing any draw, if he intended to X/R the flop I believe he would raise bigger on turn. In case a broadway, 7 or flush draw came, how should I proceed?
      Same rationalization on river as in turn.
      I have a very high flop CBet, so I'm trying to lower it down by checking my 2nd pair type of hands when IP for pot control and taking value out of bluffs.
      Is this the type of spot I should aim to check behind? Should I have tried to protect my hand?

Party, $0.10/$0.25 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

CO: $7.07 (28.3 bb)
      SB: $39.82 (159.3 bb)
      Hero (BTN): $25 (100 bb)
      UTG: $38.21 (152.8 bb)
      MP: $34.93 (139.7 bb)
      BB: $30.60 (122.4 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BTN with 9 K
      3 folds, Hero raises to $0.60, SB folds, BB calls $0.35

Flop: ($1.30) 9 J 8 (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks

Turn: ($1.30) 3 (2 players)
      BB bets $0.62, Hero calls $0.62

River: ($2.54) 5 (2 players)
      BB bets $1.21, Hero calls $1.21

Results:
      $4.96 pot ($0.24 rake)
      Final Board: 9 J 8 3 5
      Hero showed 9 K and won $4.72 ($2.29 net)
      BB showed A 2 and lost (-$2.43 net)
  • 4 replies
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      Hi,

easy calldown once you check back flop. he would bluff there too often and sometimes valubet worse hands. Since you usually don´t get c/r I would prefer cbetting flop

best regards,
    • PriscoInline
      PriscoInline
      Bronze
      I'd actually like some tips on when to check behind the flop, or if I should always cbet when I have initiative. I pretty much cbet every flop I'm HU, and I think this is not ideal.
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      Originally posted by PriscoInline
      I'd actually like some tips on when to check behind the flop, or if I should always cbet when I have initiative. I pretty much cbet every flop I'm HU, and I think this is not ideal.
      Hi,

If you don´t get exploited then there is no reason to cbet less.
      That board I would prefer cbet for value. I very rarely get c/r and he can call with worse hands.

Reasons why not to cbet:
      - you have no fold equity (that would not happen very often, but for example you face player who never folds to cbet and you have showdown value. For example flop is 378 and you hold AK. That spot it is likely more correct to check your AK hand down, than try to bluff him out pairs (that he would not fold).
      - worse hands would not call
      For example you have KK and flop is A22. Very likely you only get called Ax (although some players would never fold there 88), so you may consider checking back to induce bluffs
      - you flop set/boat and likely would not get any value, but if you check back then player would very likely bluff
      On J22 with JJ it is very hard to get paid, so checking back may be better option to induce bet hands that has 0% equity

Most important reason to me is:
      - how often I expect player to fold to my cbet. If it is lower than 50% then I may consider giving up. Also it depends a lot of my equity. I mostly would cbet if I have two overcards+ some backdoor draws where I can barrel. Also scare cards would help.

So I would never check back AT on 953 board, since basically any card higher than T is good barreling cards and T/A would likely give me best hand. Also it does help if board is 9 :heart: 53 and I hold AhTh- that gives me backdoor flushdraw equity and I can also barrel now on hearts :P

Either way cbetting can usually not go wrong unless players like to play back and your image is really bad. If they give you any respect then they would usually play straight forward and usually just fold.

best regards,
    • PriscoInline
      PriscoInline
      Bronze
      Thanks for the tips Kaitz20
      I appreciate very much.