Hero (MP2): $2.25 (112.5 BB)
      MP3: $0.86 (43 BB)
      CO: $0.60 (30 BB)
      BTN: $4.81 (240.5 BB)
      SB: $0.78 (39 BB)
      BB: $1.61 (80.5 BB)
      UTG+1: $1.64 (82 BB)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 7 :spade: 6 :spade:
      UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, Hero calls $0.02, MP3 folds, CO checks, BTN calls $0.02, SB folds, BB raises to $0.04, Hero calls $0.02, CO calls $0.02, BTN calls $0.02

Flop: ($0.17 pot) 4 :spade: 6 :heart: 3 :diamond:
      BB checks, Hero checks, CO checks, BTN checks

Turn: ($0.17 pot) 5 :diamond:
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.10, CO raises to $0.20, BTN folds, BB folds, Hero calls $0.10

River: ($0.56 pot) Q :club:
      Hero checks, CO bets $0.16, Hero calls $0.16

Showdown: ($0.87 pot)
  • 3 replies
    • Kaitz20
      Hi 192RNMD,

I would prefer raising any hand that I would prefer to play. That way you take initiative, can represent a lot more hands than just suited connectors and don´t get exploited aggressive players who might isolate you forcing you to fold preflop or check/fold postflop (that would happen most of the times). Standard raise size for me is 3x, some would prefer making it 4x.
      Since 3x leaves more room postflop play I would prefer that more. Also I loose less if some players would make up monsters and 3bet big.

I would prefer betting flop with top pair and gutshot straight draw. You might easily the best hand and you should protect against overcards

Turn and river are nicely played. Likely you´re splitting, but NL 2 I would not surprise if someone plays the same way 2x or set

best regards,
    • xxxxxx192RNMD
      How does raising preflop affect the call20 rule?
    • mbml

at nanostakes games (NL2/5) online or live games, I think having some limping range in EARLY POSITIONS is alright. Reason being when you have so many players left to act behind you, the likelihood of several of them calling your raise when they are loose is extremely high. Thus, the advantage of having the initiative as the Preflop Raiser is greatly diminished.

However in middle or late position, you should probably not have a limping range. What Kaitz20 says here is the standard play of raising or folding your entire range.

Taking things one step further

When I look at the table, I see a bunch of fishes sitting on short stacks (mp3, co, sb, bb). I'm assuming that the short stacks tend to play worse in general at NL2, and they are probably very loose and bad (could be wrong though).

The chances of using being able to raise and play in a Headsup pot (the main purpose of raising is to isolate a single opponent) is greatly diminished on such a table. As a result I think your limp may be acceptable.

This is not to say that you should just continue limping all the time, you should definitely never open-limp in CO/BU/SB when you have the chance to steal the blinds, or have a greater chance of getting to play a headsup pot with the initiative. This is a special one-off case, where we think that the likelihood of getting multiple callers (especially with CO having committed one big blind by posting) is much higher and thus raising would serve no other purpose than building the pot with a weak hand.