I'm stupid

• hvard92
      hvard92
      Bronze
      Hello.

I did a mistake when i got into poker. I was so excited learning about poker, that i forgot to learn the basics and the rest properly. I just read it 1-2 times and then i learned a whole bunch of other things too without repeating it. Still, i was a slight winner and build some bankrolls from 1 dollar to 80 dollar on betsson and i've deposit 17 dollars and build it up to 90 dollars on pokerstars. So i think i did something right. But it has gone a year now and i finally realised that my basic poker knowledge isn't good enough. Feels like i've taken a huge step backwards since i have to go back to basics but if i'm gonna move any further with poker, i think i have to know the basics properly. One more stupid thing i did was to watch pokershows and test plays on the microlimits even when i knew it was the wrong thing to do. I know, pretty stupid.

The things i'm workin' on is adjusting to opponents (The 8 player types), startinghandschart (BSS). My handrange became pretty loose gradually because i saw other pros playing the same hand. But i'm not a pro and the pros have their reasons to play them. My only reason was that i had position on them. So now i'm back to square one and i'm gonna promise myself that i will learn all the basics PROPERLY before moving on to the next lesson. I wish someone could have told me=P. Anyways, good to get it out of my head.

Feel free to share your thoughts=)
  • 8 replies
    • alphabeat
      alphabeat
      Bronze
      Heh, i totally relate to what you say about the baller shows. My worst losing sessions have been after watching million dollar cash game. I make ridiculous 4 bet shoves and overbets to people who only ever raise with the nuts.

Yeah, stopped watching those things now...
    • hvard92
      hvard92
      Bronze
      good it's not only me
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Originally posted by hvard92
      I'm stupid
      Apparently not.

In order to improve, it is necessary to first recognize the need to improve.

I can see that you understand that.

Improvement involves purposeful study, and purposeful practice.

On suggestion that helped me is to play "practice sessions".
      In these, you play at a lower limit, and deliberately apply a principle you learned from your most recent study session.

Later, play your normal limit, and it will be easier to recognize the situation and apply the lesson learned.

All the best,
      --VS
    • hvard92
      hvard92
      Bronze
      Originally posted by VorpalF2F
      Originally posted by hvard92
      I'm stupid
      Apparently not.

In order to improve, it is necessary to first recognize the need to improve.

I can see that you understand that.

Improvement involves purposeful study, and purposeful practice.

On suggestion that helped me is to play "practice sessions".
      In these, you play at a lower limit, and deliberately apply a principle you learned from your most recent study session.

Later, play your normal limit, and it will be easier to recognize the situation and apply the lesson learned.

All the best,
      --VS
    • hvard92
      hvard92
      Bronze
      ops, wasn't ment to post quote without a reply.
      Anyways, I have recently began to write down my goals for my sessions and as you said, playing practice sessions and i can say it's more instructive. I can't move up to my "normal" limit because it is my normal limit. I do have an account on WPT Poker tho, where i have about 300$, but i don't wan't to play there until i feel more confident in my game. And im not confident right now.
      Good to hear that im not stupid, wich i really tought i was=P
    • RasTweet
      RasTweet
      Bronze
      Hey hvard92!

No you're not stupid! Just keep working on the game! I had a time where I was confident, but I stopped working on my game. Well you can guess what happened then. Just keep working, post hands, join coachings and you'll be fine!

Regards

RasTweet
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Silver
      +1!
    • hvard92
      hvard92
      Bronze
      Thanks for all the support! I needed it.