set mining overrated at NL20 and above?

• 19 replies
    • Pkrpains
      Pkrpains
      Bronze
      I had the same feeling actually. Of course, it may be less profitable than, say, a couple of years ago, but I wouldn't agree it is overrated.

I have just checked my DB and the top 2 positions for most profitable holdings at showdown are full house - pocket pair no trips and three of a kind (set).

But yeah, with poker constantly improving, even some fishes are not super excited to shove KK over a check/raise on 785. This is why you might get a feeling that it is overrated. :)
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Implied odds are not realized nearly as often at the higher limits I think.

However, mid- to upper-mid-range pocket pairs still have showdown value, and at the higher limits you can often get to showdown with them.

Note that the highest limit I have experience in is NL 25

--VS
    • Dublimax
      Dublimax
      Bronze
      bluff more?
    • bmfbpi
      bmfbpi
      Bronze
      Originally posted by tommygecko
      It just doesn't feel as profitable anymore, even with fish around.
      what sample ? post with filter in hm
    • tommygecko
      tommygecko
      Bronze

Well that's all i have now. I haven been hitting sets as much as I should be, so maybe thats why.
    • tommygecko
      tommygecko
      Bronze
      last 3 times i had JJ,KK and AA I ran into a lower set. 3 fucking times in a row. And I NEVER hit my sets. wtf. damn 888. seriously. wtf.

And do you guys call a 3bet IP to set mine? If u hit it's great ofc esp if villain triple barrels alot. But if missed you almost have to fold to the cbet everytime. And if you're like me who never hits a set it seems like i wasting almost 10% of my stack everytime this happens
    • holmeboy
      holmeboy
      Bronze
      Its such a tiny sample..... I go through phases where I'll hit 1 in 20 times, it'll even out.

Plus another thing and this is just my imo. As you move up people aren't going to stack off light against EP/MP. So opening something like 22 EP and flopping a set you're going to get dominated quite a bit by higher sets.

I don't know if you open small PPs in EP or not, just saying.

edit:

And do you guys call a 3bet IP to set mine? If u hit it's great ofc esp if villain triple barrels alot. But if missed you almost have to fold to the cbet everytime. And if you're like me who never hits a set it seems like i wasting almost 10% of my stack everytime this happens
      With smaller pps I'll only call if they have a small 3b range. Against a guy 3betting like 10% you're not going to get paid off enough. Stuff like TT+ have good showdown value so I'll call those.
    • tommygecko
      tommygecko
      Bronze
      Originally posted by holmeboy
      Its such a tiny sample..... I go through phases where I'll hit 1 in 20 times, it'll even out.

I'm 4 in 90 the past 2 days. :f_mad:

Nah, I don't believe in 'evening out'. Cards have no memory. It doesn't mean that I hit 4 in 90 past 2 days hence I will hit more the next week. Sad isn't it?
    • metza
      metza
      Bronze
      Just because the cards have no memory doesn't mean things don't even out. As sample size increases, evening out is inevitable as deviations from the norm become less and less probable with a greater sample size.
    • tommygecko
      tommygecko
      Bronze
      Originally posted by metza
      Just because the cards have no memory doesn't mean things don't even out. As sample size increases, evening out is inevitable as deviations from the norm become less and less probable with a greater sample size.
      Theoretically, it wouldn't even out 100%. True deviations become less and less and eventually will become insignificant (Assuming you run at EV in the future) but it doesn't 'even out'
    • supeyrio
      supeyrio
      Bronze
      set mining is overrated. but playing PP isn't. how u play it is how it becomes profitable.
    • tommygecko
      tommygecko
      Bronze
      Originally posted by supeyrio
      set mining is overrated. but playing PP isn't. how u play it is how it becomes profitable.
      I don't know, seems like vs fish the most profitable way to play is to set mine low PPs
    • pokerprons
      pokerprons
      Bronze
      What if I told you you can continue and win the hand even if you don't hit a set?
    • zumpar
      zumpar
      Bronze
      Originally posted by pokerprons
      What if I told you you can continue and win the hand even if you don't hit a set?
      +100
    • tommygecko
      tommygecko
      Bronze
      Of course i do bluffs postflop but I hate doing it with PPs and especially against fish who call down w any pair
    • Dublimax
      Dublimax
      Bronze
      Of course i do bluffs postflop but I hate doing it with PPs and especially against fish who call down w any pair
      Then hit your sets and reread your first post
    • ihufa
      ihufa
      Gold
      Originally posted by Dublimax
      bluff more?
      /thread
    • bmfbpi
      bmfbpi
      Bronze
      @tommygecko: how did you put set% in hem ?
    • tommygecko
      tommygecko
      Bronze
      Originally posted by bmfbpi
      @tommygecko: how did you put set% in hem ?
      It's one of the report stats available .