Learning HU Sng's, 1000 starting at $1.5!

• DaPhunk
      DaPhunk
      Bronze
      Hello all. I have decided after recently reading a book mentioning HU Sng's to try and learn how to play them.

The premise is simple; play 2 to 4 sng's at a time whilst playing on my other site (which has low player numbers). I start at the $1.5 level on stars and see how far I can get in 1000 games. I will use 15BI BRM for $3.5 and add 5BI for each level.

I shall play now and see how many HU sng's I can make per hour and update.

See you all later!
  • 17 replies
    • bjela
      bjela
      Bronze
      Hey, nice to see another husng blog here :)

A suggestion, though. Just play 1 table at a time while learning, it will be much better than playing 2-4 tables.
    • daun666
      daun666
      Bronze
      sounds good but no more that 1 table, you wont learn anything playing 4 tables, if you can fallow game, notice things quickly, not lose focus and think every decision trough than 2 tables can be ok but still 1 is way better
    • ains21
      ains21
      Bronze
      Hey I don't play HUSNG but isn't 15BI a little crazy? I hear the swings on these things can be brutal (100+ -EV). Anyway, if you haven't already, you should check out HUSNG.com for their free e-book ... tons of information there to get you started.

Good luck.
    • bjela
      bjela
      Bronze
      Well, if it's reg speed or even turbos, it's ok. For hypers, it's a whole other story...
    • arthurbentley
      arthurbentley
      Silver
      Can anyone tell me how many buy-ins for $1.05 Omaha HU SNGs is an adequate bankroll number? Would fifty buy-ins suffice? These games are on ipoker.
    • daun666
      daun666
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ains21
      Hey I don't play HUSNG but isn't 15BI a little crazy? I hear the swings on these things can be brutal (100+ -EV).
      For reg speeds it seems kinda ok.
      For turbos imo we need bit more but can be ok if he can reload.
      Forget about playing hypers with this brm
    • Jafreiteris
      Jafreiteris
      Bronze
      Steve is my name, hu sng is my game.

1. Skip 1.5 hu sng, rake is to big.
      2. Don't play more than two tables
      3.You will see things that will traumatize you, like 10 chip roadkill wins , so you should be very calm and dont get on tilt. I suggest if you loose 3-4 in the row take more than 1h brake.
      4. About BRM - hu sng can get very swingly sometimes, so as big as possible, 50 would be fine, no matter turbo or not.
    • DaPhunk
      DaPhunk
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ains21
      if you haven't already, you should check out HUSNG.com for their free e-book ... tons of information there to get you started.

Good luck.
      Way ahead of you :D Got it and read it on a plane journey recently, now written myself out a gameplan on two A3 sheets of paper complete with charts for different stack depths to serve me as a rough guide on my ranges as I get more used to these games.

As far as my BRM goes I have two small points;

1) Its 15 BI + 5 per each higher limit.
      2) I'm just using "BRM" as a method of working out when to move up, If I was to look at my stars balance I'd see I was rolled for higher games already, but I want to start at the bottom :D

Yeah, I've decided to play turbos, should help me with learning all stack depths sooner and guessing I'll get to 1000 games sooner. Oh, i didn't mention before but I'm also planning on checking out potential hourly rates in this game which is part of the reason I'll be playing up to 4 at the same time. The other reasoning is that I've never been able to play properly with hardly any games running at the same time :p

I played 120 games before starting my challenge so I will play till 1200 games instead, here are my rather break-even looking results so far;

Oh, and nice rhyme Steve "jafreiteris" :D What stakes do you play?

Thanks for the support everyone :)
    • DaPhunk
      DaPhunk
      Bronze
      Reflections on the games

So I was thinking about various opponents and trying to work out what the biggest mistakes I'm making so far might be and what common weaknesses are. Here is a summary of my thoughts;

1) I am a little too eager to pay off unknown villain value bets early on before knowing their tendencies. I've now worked out that certain villains are really this easy to read; Top Pair = 3/4 potsize bet, no TP or better = check, two-pair or better = huge bet, often a riverjam after checking two streets.

I paid off several of these ridiculous overbets when their range looked to be total air and missed draws, but I've now learned this tendancy. I am still however a huuuuge non-believer when my bet gets raised on any flop. I fall into the trap of calling flop and folding turn quite often.

2) Villains are not to a small extent, completely different, but in some respects they all seem to adapt crazy slowly and be way too tight in one area; Calling my preflop jams. Its completely ridiculous how many folds I get and it doesn't seem to matter how crazy aggro LAG the guy seems to be preflop, they just muck what is obviously far too much of their range.

I do rather enjoy the adaption technique some players use which is to fold fold fold fold etc, and after a while call with 84o, 63s or T2o when they've had enough.

What I need to learn / improve upon;

Pretty simple really;

I need to work out a game-plan for how to deal with limps at different stack depths.

I need to work out a 4betting plan, I havn't yet had to deal with anyone 3betting me a lot which is crazy since I always open between 80 and 100%

I need to work on some thresholds for changing my BB gameplan vs a raise below 20BB. I'm not entirely sure when to switch into solely push/fold and when I still get a lot more value by making small 3bet with my premiums. I do wonder at what level of games these small 3bets will start looking stupidly strong to regs.

That is all, I shall be crawling the internets to find solution to these spots in the meantime :D

Oh, and;

Originally posted by Jafreiteris
      Steve is my name, hu sng is my game.

1. Skip 1.5 hu sng, rake is to big.
      2. Don't play more than two tables
      3.You will see things that will traumatize you, like 10 chip roadkill wins , so you should be very calm and dont get on tilt. I suggest if you loose 3-4 in the row take more than 1h brake.
      4. About BRM - hu sng can get very swingly sometimes, so as big as possible, 50 would be fine, no matter turbo or not.
      1. The bottom level is $1.4 + $0.1 so 6.66% rake, The $3.32 + $0.18 would be either 5.1% rake.

That does seem quite the jump, but I don't know how rake works in these games, is that 1.5% reduction in rake make as much difference as it sounds like it would?

3 + 4. Yea, I played some ages ago on William Hill when I discovered they had nanostakes HU, but the HU Sngs had 5% rake at most levels. I kind of wrote them of as being completely ridiculous, but somehow now I'm interested again lol.
    • daun666
      daun666
      Bronze
      at micros people are loose/passive so fold to aggression and valuebet,it will be so rare someone barreling 3 streets with air or missed draw.

Originally posted by DaPhunk
      I need to work on some thresholds for changing my BB gameplan vs a raise below 20BB. I'm not entirely sure when to switch into solely push/fold and when I still get a lot more value by making small 3bet with my premiums. I do wonder at what level of games these small 3bets will start looking stupidly strong to regs.
      push/fold basically starts from ~ 9 bb, till that you can still flat
    • DaPhunk
      DaPhunk
      Bronze
      Hahahaha, I didn't even realise I'd lost so many in a row :D I was naively assuming I'd be at the $3.5 level by now.

Unfortunately I'm running bad in cash as well so I decided to post this graph and have a break for a little bit :D

In other notes, I haven't yet met a player who I felt didn't have some pretty obvious leaks. Even the guys with sensible looking preflop stats of 80%Open and 55% defend play fit or fold postflop and fold tons to 3bets. That said I obviously haven't cashed in on said leaks as of yet ;) Maybe my opponents really where correct when they said I was a fish :f_biggrin:
    • ikkvr
      ikkvr
      Bronze
      Obviously every1 wont call u down with trash :D
    • daun666
      daun666
      Bronze
      Originally posted by DaPhunk
      In other notes, I haven't yet met a player who I felt didn't have some pretty obvious leaks. Even the guys with sensible looking preflop stats of 80%Open and 55% defend play fit or fold postflop and fold tons to 3bets. That said I obviously haven't cashed in on said leaks as of yet ;) Maybe my opponents really where correct when they said I was a fish :f_biggrin:
      lol what do you expect, its 1.5 :D
    • DaPhunk
      DaPhunk
      Bronze
      So I was wondering, what are the various HU SnG learning resources that people know of? Courses, video series, article series etc. Just want to see if there is anything I may not know about that could help me to learn the game.

Thanks.
    • bjela
      bjela
      Bronze
      husng specific website (pretty sure I can't write it here, but really easy to find) and 2p2 section for husngs are the way to go.
    • DaPhunk
      DaPhunk
      Bronze
      Thanks, I know the website you mean lol. Any other hints as to places to go would of course be appreciated.

In other news, it turns out I didn't actually have that downswing that is on my HM graph, HM just started counting every single game as a loss I think when I set stars to auto-close tables without prompts. It took my line going straight down to -31 for me to realise lol.

Anyway, this inevitably means I have absolutely no idea how much I've won or lost as I play 6-max NL as well. I guess I'll just move up at 250 stars lifetime games If I have HM working by then and have no idea whether I'm up or not :D (I probably am up)
    • bjela
      bjela
      Bronze
      Well you can always either request hand histories from stars and re-import them, or just look at sharkscope to see your results (no EV line, obviously).

And, as far as I know, there are no other sources of material worth mentioning.