[NL20-NL50] NL25 A8s

• DarkAwi
      DarkAwi
      Bronze
      Party, $0.10/$0.25 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

CO: $28.34 (113.4 bb)
      BTN: $28.44 (113.8 bb)
      Hero (UTG): $29.70 (118.8 bb)
      SB: $25 (100 bb)
      MP: $27.84 (111.4 bb)
      BB: $25 (100 bb)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A 8
      Hero raises to $0.75, MP calls $0.75, CO calls $0.75, 3 folds

Flop: ($2.60) T 5 6 (3 players)
      Hero ???

SB or BB was a huge fish, otherwise I fold preflop.

How would you plan to play the hand postflop? MP is a relatively good regular from what I've seen already, capable of creative plays, and quite agressive, raises a lot on the flop. CO is quite unknown, semi-fish I guess.

SB: http://pbrd.co/14rxQll
      CO: http://pbrd.co/14rxWcB
  • 5 replies
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Hey,

I think cbetting has the most merits here since you can barrel off and have very good equity. You can make your opponents fold as strong as KT when you barrel since you are 3way when you start cbetting.

The alternative would be to check/call with the plan of check/raising(shoving) turn or river but on average both your opponents fold so often to cbets that it's clearly +EV to cbet imo and think about other lines later, when you get more info on them.
    • DarkAwi
      DarkAwi
      Bronze
      Okay, I chose to cbet aswell:

Party, $0.10/$0.25 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

CO: $28.34 (113.4 bb)
      BTN: $28.44 (113.8 bb)
      Hero (UTG): $29.70 (118.8 bb)
      SB: $25 (100 bb)
      MP: $27.84 (111.4 bb)
      BB: $25 (100 bb)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A 8
      Hero raises to $0.75, MP calls $0.75, CO calls $0.75, 3 folds

Flop: ($2.60) T 5 6 (3 players)
      Hero bets $1.75, MP raises to $4.50, CO calls $4.50, Hero calls $2.75

Turn: ($16.10) 4 (3 players)
      Hero checks, MP bets $7.25, CO folds, Hero ???

I have an oddscall on the flop. 3bet would be overplay I guess, CO sometimes can have some slowplay. What would you play on the turn? We are improved a bit, and he bets 1/2 pot. What do you think about his sizing, and his range?

Originally posted by EmanuelC16
      think about other lines later, when you get more info on them.
      Oh, and the stats are quite accurate, samplesizes are 5k hands+
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Hey,

Flop call is fine, we want CO in the hand since we are drawing to the nuts, we want people in the pot since we are playing to hit.

On the turn I think his sizing is fine since it allows an easy river shove but I think we might also have some FE. We can actually call to hit and have enough implied odds when we hit and donk river imo. We need him to call a small frequency and that will be enough to make it call very nicely +EV.
    • DarkAwi
      DarkAwi
      Bronze
      I thought if I hit and donk, he'll almost never pay me off, his WTSD is 22, and what else would I play b/c, x/c, donk mw than a flushdraw. But I felt some FE aswell, so I ended up check/shoving. He snapcalled with AA, what was a bit surprising.

I talked about the hand with a friend of mine who is a hand judge in the hungarian forum, and he said we could play x/c on the flop with decent draws, and one pair type hands against this guy, because he raises so much. Actually I like it, what do you think about it ?
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      The idea behind check/calling is to not get raised off your hand too often. This NFD is more of a thin value/bluff category because it always has reasonable equity which can get more mone in later so that's why check/calling makes sense. I think it's doable but you need to think about your whole range in that case. You can probably add overpairs to your check/call range as well and cbet quite polarised between some low equity hands and sets.

Then you check/call your quite strong but not monster draws and your good pairs and overpairs. With that range you under-rep a bit so you get him to vbet some weaker hands, giving you better equity against his range plus you get some deception when you hit your draws.

I definitely like the idea of check/calling but in this case I think cbetting is also +EV but your friend might have a point that it's not highest EV to cbet.

They both look like they 3bet KK+ against UTG and only one of them raises wide.. definitely close but I like the idea of taking the more uncommon line since people play worse against it, you just have to also be aware of why you are doing it and how things change when you are doing it. :s_thumbsup: