[NL20-NL50] KQo vs 3b

• GingerKid
      GingerKid
      Black
      iPoker - $0.50 NL FAST (6 max) - Holdem - 4 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

SB: 118.38 BB (VPIP: 20.63, PFR: 17.99, 3Bet Preflop: 5.38, Hands: 596)
      BB: 298.7 BB (VPIP: 26.53, PFR: 21.65, 3Bet Preflop: 6.90, Hands: 102)
      CO: 99 BB (VPIP: 22.91, PFR: 17.03, 3Bet Preflop: 4.26, Hands: 1,243)
      Hero (BTN): 144.3 BB

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has K:diamond: Q:club:

fold, Hero raises to 2 BB, SB raises to 8 BB, fold, Hero calls 6 BB

Flop: (17 BB, 2 players) 4:club: 7:heart: Q:heart:
      SB bets 10 BB, Hero calls 10 BB

Turn: (37 BB, 2 players) 3:club:
      SB checks, Hero checks

River: (37 BB, 2 players) K:club:
      SB bets 24 BB, Hero raises to 126.3 BB and is all-in, fold

Hero shows K:diamond: Q:club: (Two Pair, Kings and Queens)
      Hero wins 81 BB

He 3bets from sb 13%, vs BU 10% so I call. cbets flop 4/4 turn 0/2. Also I saw that it is likely that he cbets once and gives up (but maybe also check calls I am not sure if this stat is helping to float? ).

Is check back turn ok?I think he either gives up or shoves with better hand on drawy board so I wanted to pot control, and possibly induce another bluff.

IS river overplay? I am not much afraid of flush, but I am more targeting his Kx hands or AA if he checked turn to raise it.
  • 5 replies
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Hey,

If you think he won't call turn with mediocre hands or shove them, checking back is fine.

River is not overplay, I don't think so anyway. His range doesn't contain many clubs since he would bet them on the turn often, same with sets imo so he looks like AK, KJ most often plus you rep little when you check back the turn. IF he has AK and you look like not having a set or KQ because you checked back turn you can definitely get a call since he can put 88 like spews in your range.
    • double2
      double2
      Coach
      Coach
      Can you elaborate a little on the chk back turn Manu? I think our hand is good enough to bet turn and shove river, shouldn't we be balancing our floats with this type of hand? If we have 99 in this spot on turn, what's your approach?
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Originally posted by double2
      Can you elaborate a little on the chk back turn Manu? I think our hand is good enough to bet turn and shove river, shouldn't we be balancing our floats with this type of hand? If we have 99 in this spot on turn, what's your approach?
      @Balance: Perceived vs actual range. If our perceived range is balanced we can have our actual range do whatever we want. In this case, when we flat flop we look like midpair or Qx, few sets in our range so betting for thin value is fine but the rest of our range is air. When we float, we exploit villain's tendency to cbet wide and give up later so we can have air mostly. We only need to be perceived to have some better hands in our range.

There's the very common added benefit of betting turn that we usually see a check from villain on river when he calls.

Now, the flipside is that our hand is kind of thin here. His range is quite polarised from preflop to turn imo. If his range is polarised, we should not bet for thin value. It's up to us in game to decide how polarised our opponent is but the rule of thumb is that value betting thinly against a polarised range is bad because usually the polarised range has you crushed and raises/calls only better or folds. This hand is not THAT thin but it's not far from it imo.
    • double2
      double2
      Coach
      Coach
      We are then assuming worse Qx and 2nd pairs are really not in his range since he would c/c flop with those?

So if he checks flop we will gladly bet bet bet, but since he's bet flop it makes his range more polarized after checking turn so hence our chk back. Is that it?
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Originally posted by double2
      We are then assuming worse Qx and 2nd pairs are really not in his range since he would c/c flop with those?

So if he checks flop we will gladly bet bet bet, but since he's bet flop it makes his range more polarized after checking turn so hence our chk back. Is that it?
      Yeah, he wouldn't cbet that many of those. It's hard to tell for sure but when we don't know and the value is thin I don't mind choosing the line with close to the same EV (mostly because of lack of info, the actual EV can be quite different when we have info) that gets us to showdown and teaches us way more valuable info about our opponent.

The board is also quite draw heavy so we can expect a hand like KK to think about check/shoving imo since we bet draws IP quite often anyway. It's not certain, it happens sometimes but it's quite different from opponent to opponent.