[NL20-NL50] 88 set versus min raise

• GingerKid
      GingerKid
      Black
      iPoker - $0.50 NL FAST (6 max) - Holdem - 5 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

Hero (BB): 107.2 BB
      UTG: 111.38 BB (VPIP: 38.64, PFR: 29.55, 3Bet Preflop: 22.22, Hands: 48)
      CO: 160.36 BB (VPIP: 41.70, PFR: 29.55, 3Bet Preflop: 25.00, Hands: 253)
      BTN: 64.6 BB (VPIP: 27.15, PFR: 18.02, 3Bet Preflop: 2.63, Hands: 3,330)
      SB: 97.28 BB (VPIP: 22.91, PFR: 17.03, 3Bet Preflop: 4.26, Hands: 1,243)

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, Hero posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has 8:spade: 8:heart:

fold, fold, fold, SB raises to 3 BB, Hero calls 2 BB

Flop: (6 BB, 2 players) 7:spade: 8:diamond: K:club:
      SB checks, Hero bets 3 BB, SB raises to 7.5 BB, Hero calls 4.5 BB

Turn: (21 BB, 2 players) Q:spade:
      SB checks, Hero bets 10.5 BB, SB calls 10.5 BB

River: (42 BB, 2 players) A:diamond:
      SB checks, Hero bets 86.2 BB, fold

Hero shows 8:spade: 8:heart: (Three of a Kind, Eights)
      Hero wins 39.9 BB

I call his min raise becasue I am IP, and he represents nothing, also if he has it we can get it in by the river. So is it ok to call turn, or maybe better raise since he could have 9Ts, 67s? Is river shove ok? I am targeting his 2 Pair hands, but probably he folds anyway.
  • 5 replies
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      Hi.

I dont like betting so small and then overbetting rover. Just pot it on the turn then u can jam river.

Thanks.
    • GingerKid
      GingerKid
      Black
      Originally posted by mbml
      Hi.

I dont like betting so small and then overbetting rover. Just pot it on the turn then u can jam river.

Thanks.
      I usually bet larger, but I have a read on him that when he checks it is a clear give up flop. So I bet 1/2 to induce his bluff, and also when he checks turn he gives up (or hits Qx very likely). I overbet, because sometimes he calls 2 pairs, and sometimes with middle pair bluff catch, it happens a lot to me.
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      You must look at the river runout. The Ace is a pretty scary card for villain, and on such a scary card you shouldn't apply so much pressure, you are pretty much guaranteeing that he never calls you here (which actually makes this a better bluffing spot).

About your turn logic: I don't think he is ever c/c-ing air here even vs a half pot bet. If you want to make him do something stupid, like make a bad turn call or a bluff turn c/r then you must bet even smaller.
    • GingerKid
      GingerKid
      Black
      Agree. I thought that when he check calls turn he probably has Qx hand, so it can be often AQ, and on river he might hit 2 pairs so I tried to get max value. If he has a hand like JQ or even weaker, for him is very hard to call any bet on river since I showed so much strenght by calling his raise and betting turn.
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      You need to think about his mindset/mentality. This is BvB, so ranges are wide. Does he think like a nit? Or is he a hero-caller who is paranoid and knows how to handread well and can make good bluff catches?

Advantages of potting here: You rep really narrow here. You are unlikely to bet here with KX so you rep monsters, the occasional AX (which most players at this limit will often check back on the River as well), or some busted straight draw like T9 JT T8 56.

Advantages of a smaller bet: I think it's possible he has something like KJ/KT in BvB, though I don't think it's that common. He check/raises flop to make you suspicious of his CR and after that he takes a c/c line to induce from your floats. That depends on your image.

Regardless, I think overbetting is by far the worst play. To make overbetting good, you need to rep a ton of air (which you are less able to do on this flop). Maybe if 2 flush draws and all straight draws missed, or maybe he checks back on the Flop and you start overbetting Turn and River (perceived to be attacking his capped range), then overbetting in such spots makes more sense.