[NL2-NL10] nl10 SH KJs

• DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      Prima, $0.05/$0.10 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

BTN: $7.87 (78.7 bb)
      SB: $10 (100 bb)
      BB: $8.77 (87.7 bb)
      UTG: $15.58 (155.8 bb)
      MP: $10.49 (104.9 bb)
      Hero (CO): $12.14 (121.4 bb)

Preflop: Hero is CO with K J
      2 folds, Hero raises to $0.30, 2 folds, BB calls $0.20

Flop: ($0.65) 8 3 7 (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks

Turn: ($0.65) 2 (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.35, BB calls $0.35

River: ($1.35) Q (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.90, BB calls $0.90

Results:
      $3.15 pot ($0.15 rake)
      Final Board: 8 3 7 2 Q
      BB showed A Q and won $3 ($1.45 net)
      Hero showed K J and lost (-$1.55 net)

villain is a fishy player. i don't think i can do much by cbetting on this flop since it hits his range quite well, but once he checks twice i think i can stab the turn... is that okay? and the river brings a scarecard so i bet it. should i just be checking this down? i don't really think my KJ has SDV
  • 5 replies
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi DrDunne,

How does this board hit him well?

I think it's a mistake checking the flop with two overs, bfd and position.

As played what exactly are we hoping that he folds on the river?
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      well if he's a passive fishy guy which he is, then he has a ton of FDs SDs, pairs and overcards that will most likely peel this flop pretty light. on the turn he checks twice so i assume he'd stab with a piece of it so i bet since he showed no interest and im assuming i may have more FE than i first thought. on the river it's a scarecard and he can fold any non-pair hand and maybe he even folds a weaker pair now.

you saying to bet this flop texture seems to be the opposite to everything i've read about flop texture now so i'm a bit confused. could you explain a little more? because this sort of flop texture is used as an example of when not to cbet, and here we are even facing a fishy guy. is the deciding factor our BDFD and overcards? i mean on bad flop textures it's pretty difficult not to have overcards and a BDFD isn't really much to go on..
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by DrDunne
      well if he's a passive fishy guy which he is, then he has a ton of FDs SDs, pairs and overcards that will most likely peel this flop pretty light. on the turn he checks twice so i assume he'd stab with a piece of it so i bet since he showed no interest and im assuming i may have more FE than i first thought. on the river it's a scarecard and he can fold any non-pair hand and maybe he even folds a weaker pair now.

you saying to bet this flop texture seems to be the opposite to everything i've read about flop texture now so i'm a bit confused. could you explain a little more? because this sort of flop texture is used as an example of when not to cbet, and here we are even facing a fishy guy. is the deciding factor our BDFD and overcards? i mean on bad flop textures it's pretty difficult not to have overcards and a BDFD isn't really much to go on..
      If this was T9x two tone or something similar then I would agree.

I recommend the following:

- load equilab
      - load the range you think he calls preflop with
      - add your hand
      - add the board
      - hit evaluate and see the distribution of his range

If we had no equity in the hand I would be ok with a delay cbet but here we have two overs and backdoor flush. That's 6+10 outs we can continue on plus all the high cards.
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      interesting i didnt know equilab had this function. it's pretty much the same as flopzilla.

about how his hand hits, the most likely made hand is TP, but apparently the most likely holding for villain on this flop is a BDSD followed by 2 overcards...

but the problem i had with cbetting is that i don't expect to get many folds on the flop, so the plan would be to barrel any :club: , any K, any J and maybe any A? or would i barrel any scarecard?

i think i'll have to pay more attention to these sorts of flop textures in future. a standard for me is just to give up if i don't have a hand on these.
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by DrDunne
      interesting i didnt know equilab had this function. it's pretty much the same as flopzilla.

about how his hand hits, the most likely made hand is TP, but apparently the most likely holding for villain on this flop is a BDSD followed by 2 overcards...

but the problem i had with cbetting is that i don't expect to get many folds on the flop, so the plan would be to barrel any :club: , any K, any J and maybe any A? or would i barrel any scarecard?

i think i'll have to pay more attention to these sorts of flop textures in future. a standard for me is just to give up if i don't have a hand on these.
      I would bet any higher card than the 8 with the exception of maybe a 9.

Remember that position and our hand makes a difference too.

If we were OOP with KJhh then we can highly consider ck/folding.