This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

Playing flushes against a paired board

• JirinPanthosa
      JirinPanthosa
      Bronze
      The other day I had a suited ace and flopped a flush.

So I bet, one caller, then on the turn a second queen came out. I was short stacked at the time so the next bet took me all in, and it turned out, he had a full house.

How wary should I be of pushing chips when I have an ace flush but the board is paired? Did I just get bad luck in this hand, or should I have gotten worried and even maybe folded when the second queen came out and my opponent kept betting?
  • 1 reply
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Hi JirinPanthosa,

If you were fully stacked, and when the queen came out, and villain shoved, could you fold?

If the answer is "no, I wouldn't fold", then no problem.
      You played the hand the same way.

This is going to happen, sometimes there is nothing you can do about it.

Things you *might* be able to do that *might* help:
        Always play fully stacked, unless you are playing a short-stack strategy deliberately
        Read the "Way Ahead/Way Behind" article. This may help some of the time.
        Know your opponent -- can you believe he has a FH here?

Most of the time you flop the nut flush, you only ever get action from worse flushes, so it is really hard to let them go.

In your case, with a short stack, you are "pot committed" -- which basically means that you have such a large part of your stack in the pot, you must call.
      You are getting such good odds, that folding would be foolish, to put it another way.

Another thought:
      You don't say how big a bet you made on the flop.
      If ever your CBet on any street will leave less than a pot-sized bet in your stack, shove it all in.

You have better fold equity this way, and the downside is that some worse hands will fold, that may have called a smaller bet.

I suggest posting the hand in the appropriate hand evaluation forum, where a hand judge can give you a more professional opinion.

Best of luck,
      --VS