Playing flushes against a paired board

• JirinPanthosa
      The other day I had a suited ace and flopped a flush.

So I bet, one caller, then on the turn a second queen came out. I was short stacked at the time so the next bet took me all in, and it turned out, he had a full house.

How wary should I be of pushing chips when I have an ace flush but the board is paired? Did I just get bad luck in this hand, or should I have gotten worried and even maybe folded when the second queen came out and my opponent kept betting?
  • 1 reply
    • VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Hi JirinPanthosa,

If you were fully stacked, and when the queen came out, and villain shoved, could you fold?

If the answer is "no, I wouldn't fold", then no problem.
      You played the hand the same way.

This is going to happen, sometimes there is nothing you can do about it.

Things you *might* be able to do that *might* help:
        Always play fully stacked, unless you are playing a short-stack strategy deliberately
        Read the "Way Ahead/Way Behind" article. This may help some of the time.
        Know your opponent -- can you believe he has a FH here?

Most of the time you flop the nut flush, you only ever get action from worse flushes, so it is really hard to let them go.

In your case, with a short stack, you are "pot committed" -- which basically means that you have such a large part of your stack in the pot, you must call.
      You are getting such good odds, that folding would be foolish, to put it another way.

Another thought:
      You don't say how big a bet you made on the flop.
      If ever your CBet on any street will leave less than a pot-sized bet in your stack, shove it all in.

You have better fold equity this way, and the downside is that some worse hands will fold, that may have called a smaller bet.

I suggest posting the hand in the appropriate hand evaluation forum, where a hand judge can give you a more professional opinion.

Best of luck,