[NL20-NL50] 33 vs 3b

• GingerKid
      GingerKid
      Black
      iPoker - $0.50 NL FAST (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

BB: 146.54 BB (VPIP: 23.37, PFR: 20.57, 3Bet Preflop: 11.73, Hands: 1,290)
      UTG: 32.08 BB (VPIP: 33.33, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 6)
      MP: 71.8 BB (VPIP: 46.02, PFR: 5.31, 3Bet Preflop: 0.94, Hands: 239)
      CO: 40 BB (VPIP: 21.48, PFR: 19.86, 3Bet Preflop: 11.86, Hands: 450)
      Hero (BTN): 118.04 BB
      SB: 225.6 BB (VPIP: 20.29, PFR: 17.39, 3Bet Preflop: 8.62, Hands: 139)

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has 3:heart: 3:spade:

fold, fold, fold, Hero raises to 2 BB, fold, BB raises to 8 BB, Hero calls 6 BB

Flop: (16.5 BB, 2 players) 3:club: 4:diamond: T:spade:
      BB bets 12.5 BB, Hero calls 12.5 BB

Turn: (41.5 BB, 2 players) A:heart:
      BB checks, Hero bets 22 BB, BB calls 22 BB

River: (85.5 BB, 2 players) 8:spade:
      BB checks, Hero bets 75.54 BB, fold

Hero shows 3:heart: 3:spade: (Three of a Kind, Threes)
      Hero wins 81.24 BB

I call since I have call 20 rule and I am IP, is it ok?

He cbets flop 89%, turn 1/4. Turn is standard card for continue barreling as bluff, so when he checks he probably has JJ-KK and wants to pot control or he has Ax and wants to induce from floats. So I bet and shove turn, probably I should bet bigger turn to have less money left on river?
  • 4 replies
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      Hi.

Preflop: This is kind of close, being almost 120bb deep makes it ok. If you are only 100bb deep you should just fold.

Call 20 rule isn't that important, especially if you are against wide 3betting and barreling ranges. If you have some SD value, you often get forced out of the hand. When you hit, your opponent is rarely paying you off.

Flop: I think rest of the hand plays itself, though I would suggest betting a few BBs more on the Turn to make the River bet slightly smaller and make it easier for you to get the money in.
    • GingerKid
      GingerKid
      Black
      Originally posted by mbml
      Hi.

Preflop: This is kind of close, being almost 120bb deep makes it ok. If you are only 100bb deep you should just fold.

Call 20 rule isn't that important, especially if you are against wide 3betting and barreling ranges. If you have some SD value, you often get forced out of the hand. When you hit, your opponent is rarely paying you off.

Flop: I think rest of the hand plays itself, though I would suggest betting a few BBs more on the Turn to make the River bet slightly smaller and make it easier for you to get the money in.

I dont understand, why fold with 33 by having only 100bb? I pay 6bb to win 100BB and my dead money. I have call 17 rule, and if I can call with call 20 rule 2bet profitable, then probably I can rule 17 in 3bet pot since I have more implied odds when I hit than in 2bet pot.

So versus aggro oponnent who 3 barrels a lot in 3bet pot I have really big implied odds even that he has wide 3bet range, and versus tight opponent who cbets and check folds turn I can float good even if I dont hit set, and so often when people are OOP on low card board they just check fold since they know that I am also calling QQ+ IP, and I am floating often
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      These days set-mining isn't as profitable as it once was.

In a single-raised pot, you probably get call 30. In a 3bet pot you get call 17. that's far worse. Basically playability is just very poor in general.

You could argue for a call if villain has some obvious leaks - Bluffs too much = high implied odds, or passive = being able to showdown 33 often. But against anyone tough and balanced this is usually going to be an unprofitable call.

What boards are you intending to call on, if you do not hit a set?
    • pokerferrer
      pokerferrer
      Bronze
      Yeah, I think too - preflop calling is bad, because of aggessive character of the game and his wide weak range.
      So I would prefer here just 4bet-bluff (especially cause we are a bit deeper), or fold. And sometimes, very rarely, just calling to mix my range.

And as played, I don't like half pot bet on the turn. It is too good card for floats with air, so bet more, I think he will call turn very very often with pocket pair. Also there is still some Ax in his range.