my girlfriend hates poker...

• nowyouseeme
      nowyouseeme
      Bronze
      ... and thinks i am going to end spending all my money in a seedy club, being addicted and turn into a raging lunatic as a result of this most disgusting of habits.

I have tried to explain it isnt like this, that I havent invested one single penny of my own money and that it is a worthwhile hobby that is currently buying her lunch at restaurants every week. I think perhaps she wants me to abandon it.

Anyone had a similar problem?
  • 29 replies
    • Hlynkinn
      Hlynkinn
      Bronze
      Buy her a ring and tell her you bought it for money you won playing poker...
      Lifetime poker pass....
    • helemaalnicks
      helemaalnicks
      Bronze
      had, yes. The problem is understandable. Poker is viewed as gambling. If your gf was using cocaine every day, would you like that? Of course not. Only thing you have to prove is that it's not like you're addicted to roulette, and losing money on a gambling addiction. But if someone of whom you think hes an addict tells you "no, im not addicted, its just a hobby, I dont lose money, i win", then its not weird that you dont believe him. Only thing you have to do is make sure other people tell her that its not what she thinks it is, and that its not an addiction like drugs or gambling.
    • Calmplay
      Calmplay
      Bronze
      Yeah, just say it's an hobby like some say they like to play golf or fishing as an hobby. But also say that it's an hobby that earns you extra money so that it's worth to keep ... but also forget to spend some time with her too if you don't live together yet. Good luck.
    • ctclee
      ctclee
      Bronze
      I second Hlynkinn

Buy her a ring and tell her you bought it for money you won playing poker... Lifetime poker pass....
    • Xantos
      Xantos
      Bronze
      If she's a little Internet-affine, let her have their own account here at PokerStrategy and let her look around and ask questions.

She should at least give your hobby a chance and a thorough look. She could write about her fears here and see if other people can convince her.
    • fxx666
      fxx666
      Bronze
      Just FOLD her. :D :D
    • harleytopper
      harleytopper
      Bronze
      Explaining girl your about poker... doooh. Just tell her you will not stop playing it. It's not your problem, it is hers. Most of them are addicted to social networks, chatting and other internet shit. So if you are not loosing money -- you are even.
    • Atoks
      Atoks
      Bronze
      Tell her it's true that u are a poker addict but that it can be cured! Tell her that all there's needed is an extra hawt girl in bed once a week. And tell her that if that won't do u should bring +1gurl every week that u aren't cured ;)

Seriously tho I'm very lucky in that respect that I have a very supportive and understanding GF. But I don't think it was always like this (she never told me this directly tho). Give it time, show her ur BR before u start playing and after, let her follow ur progress and with time she'll prolly see the opportunity that poker is. And remember, gurls worry... it's one of the things they do best. If all else fails just try not to upset her more then u want to :)
    • bah22
      bah22
      Coach
      Coach
      I had the same problem as yours. When i started playing poker last year without any knowledge and experience what so ever...i was losing player...and she picked up on that...then i stopped and started again on February when sign up in this site. As I started to understand and got more experienced I turned out to be winning player. From february to April we had serious problems about the poker...because my girlfriend fear that i will loose all my money and will be addicted. But from May when i really started to withdraw some money she began to give me more credit about what i do...In Juny she signed up in PS herself. :) She did understand that it is something different from addiction...I read books, watching videos and most importantly making money. :)
      Now she is 100% supportive and we are going on vacation next week with the money from the poker.
    • timukasr
      timukasr
      Bronze
      I have the same problem with mother and father :( . They don't listen to what I say about poker being not a gambling game and poker strategy (BRM etc).
    • Snodreliss
      Snodreliss
      Silver
      My father tought it was ok when I played SSS nl10 with only 2 dollars each table, but when I started playing NL50 and NL100 BSS he didn't liked it at all, it was too much money and was affraid I was addicted.. But told him about this site, BRM the articles and stuff. I have not used more than 35$ of my own money(+ bought PT / Ace, but that's just like buy a computer game) and I got ~2k now.. And when I play homegames I allmost everytime come home with more money than I left with. So, now it's ok for him. As long as I can control it, it's ok..
    • arjun2001
      arjun2001
      Bronze
      My friends thought the same way, they called me gambling addict and tried to help me with "addiction". I showed them that I am not addicted by quitting for like a month and then I also send them a PDF copy of theory of poker to make them understand that there is skill involved.

Recently in the newspapre there have been some articles coming about how Canadians are doing at all the poker tours, which almost makes poker seem like a sport. Try something like that, who knows it might work?

Good luck :)
    • Dippy19
      Dippy19
      Bronze
      Originally posted by arjun2001
      My friends thought the same way, they called me gambling addict and tried to help me with "addiction". I showed them that I am not addicted by quitting for like a month and then I also send them a PDF copy of theory of poker to make them understand that there is skill involved.

Recently in the newspapre there have been some articles coming about how Canadians are doing at all the poker tours, which almost makes poker seem like a sport. Try something like that, who knows it might work?

Good luck :)
      Hell no! Quit for a month! Where would I get money then :D

Me, I'm pretty luck. My gf doesn't mind me playing and she knows how much money I earn with it, but she does mind when I keep yaping on and on about poker and she does mind me not studying enough becouse of playing... That reminds me I have to dust off my books and start studying :D

PS: She's also registered here :heart:
    • Beliar005
      Beliar005
      Bronze
      Originally posted by fxx666
      Just FOLD her. :D :D
      Yeh, nice move. He is in UTG, so raise is not considerable! :D
    • justkyle88
      justkyle88
      Bronze
      just show her the money u win.
    • dallievas
      dallievas
      Bronze
      Buy her a ring and tell her you bought it for money you won playing poker...

You don`t know anything about women :) .You should buy at least Manolo Blahnik shoes.

If she's a little Internet-affine, let her have their own account here at PokerStrategy and let her look around and ask questions.

I did that.Now I constantly have to lose her in home games (that`s not the worst part of it :D ) and tell her what a great player she is and should do it heartily X( .

P.S.When you don`t know what to do,folding is the best option .
    • Ramble
      Ramble
      Bronze
      My wife has no problem with me playing poker and understands that it is a hobby, same as she has hobbies.

What she doesn't like is when I go on and on about this incredible hand that happened where I was ahead pre-flop, made a good bet and got called by some yahoo who called with garbage and then on the flop I hit 2 pair and feel that I'm good so I think about how to extract the most from villain and then ... yawn!

Just like you can only be interested in her hobbies to a certain point, the same is true in reverse.
    • andrewkd
      andrewkd
      Bronze
      My wife was a little bit coy about the whole poker thing, but she really warmed up to the idea of Poker Stratergies money, and not spending ours, so she doesn't mind at all!!!!!

As for playing live, so long as it is the money that i keep put aside out of our daily life, basically all the loose change that i keep in the money box and all the previous winnings, she doesn't mind.

Hmmmm.... its a lesson in BRM in itself!!!!
    • Chazza
      Chazza
      Bronze
      lol at how old this thread is

I got my fiance addicted to poker early on in our relationship. She isn't playing much now, but she can still see that it is not a problem and is very supportive of me playing now.

Just teach her how to play and use your skills to beat her at strip poker?