This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL20-NL50] NL20 SH T8s 3bet pot deeper analysis

• NightShadePMC
      NightShadePMC
      Bronze
      Hey guys, inspired by mbml's vid on analysis, decided to analyse deeper this one hand I am not sure about.

IPoker, $0.10/$0.20 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

Hero (BB): $19.60 (98 bb)
      UTG: $53.04 (265.2 bb)
      MP: $20.40 (102 bb)
      CO: $34.99 (175 bb)
      BTN: $14 (70 bb)
      SB: $8 (40 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8 T
      2 folds, CO raises to $0.60, 2 folds, Hero raises to $2, CO calls $1.40

Flop: ($4.10) 5 T 7 (2 players)
      Hero bets $2.60, CO calls $2.60

Turn: ($9.30) 2 (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO bets $4.80, Hero calls $4.80

River: ($18.90) K (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO bets $10.20, Hero ?

Villain is 25/21 in 276h
      > 35 CO open, 27 fold to 3bet (11h)-calls 73, 2.2 AF, 57% fold to cBet, 17 WTSD

Pre I 3bet, although maybe I should flat and 3bet more depolarised? I didn't see his fold to 3bet.

When he calls pre, he could have lots of hands - I give him something like 77+, some suited connecters, Broadways suited and off, some suited Aces.

Flop: In retrospect, I should have bet more to protect vs his floats? something like $2.80-3? At first I thought that it is ok to bet less to induce light floats. But now I don't think it is so good since his floats do have decent equity against us, so I would rather bet more and protect.

Turn: When he calls flop, I want to pot control, and check since few weaker hands call, giving them (floats) the chance of betting. I expect many medium strength hands to check back, like QT, 99, 88, so I discount them from his range. When he bets, he polarises his range a bit. Also, by his betsizing, he is rather weak, looking like a float trying to make me fold some weakish hands.

at this point I give him about this range

Board: 5:spade: T:diamond: 7:diamond:  2:club:
             Equity     Win     Tie
      MP2    57.44%  57.44%   0.00% { Ts8s }
      MP3    42.56%  42.56%   0.00% { QQ-JJ, 77, ThTc, AdQd, AsQs, KdQd, KsQs, AdJd, AsJs, KdJd, KsJs, QdJd, QsJs, AhTh, AcTc, KhTh, KcTc, JhTh, JcTc, Ad9d, Jd9d, Th9h, Tc9c, 9h8h, 9s8s, 9c8c, AdKh, AdKs, AdQh, AdQs, AdQc, AhQd, AsQd, AcQd, AdJh, AdJs, AdJc, AhJd, AsJd, AcJd, KdQh, KdQs, KdQc, KhQd, KsQd, KcQd, KdJh, KdJs, KdJc, KhJd, KsJd, KcJd, QdJh, QdJs, QdJc, QhJd, QsJd, QcJd }

So I am getting a good price. Am I being too optimistic with this range of his?

River: It's the Ks, I check again, giving him a chance to bluff once again using this scarecard for more fold equity. The thing is, when he bets, putting me all-in, he is representing a quite narrow value range. I don't see JJ, QQ betting here very often, neither AT.

His river aggression is 40 (15h) so we can include some bluffs in his range. Given that all draws miss and K is a scarecard.

Board: 5:spade: T:diamond: 7:diamond:  2:club:  K:spade:
             Equity     Win     Tie
      MP2    38.71%  38.71%   0.00% { Ts8s }
      MP3    61.29%  61.29%   0.00% { 77, ThTc, AdQd, KdQd, KsQs, AdJd, KdJd, KsJs, QdJd, KhTh, KcTc, Jd9d, 9h8h, 9s8s, 9c8c, AdKh, AdKs, AhQd, AsQd, AcQd, AhJd, AsJd, AcJd, KdQh, KdQs, KdQc, KhQd, KsQd, KcQd, KdJh, KdJs, KdJc, KhJd, KsJd, KcJd }

This is the final range I give him on the river, I tried not to give him a whole lot of bluffs and keep it somewhat realistic.

So I have 38% equity and am getting 26% pot odds. According to my analysis, this should be a call. What do you think about the hand and my thought process?
  • 2 replies
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      Hi.

Preflop: If villain is not folding much to 3bets then flatting here makes more sense. I usually flat here anyway, I think T8s plays fairly well vs a CO opening range from the BB.

Flop: Cbet seems fine, maybe you could go slightly smaller but I think it's ok.

Turn: Check now to bluff catch vs floats from straight draws, Ace highs and King highs and flush draws

River: Now his betting range is going to be really narrow. I don't think he continues betting QT T9 JT AT, so his range is very constrained to some KQ KJ floats, KdXd, and sets. I think the River card makes this an easy call IMO, cos he will not value bet as thinly with his not so strong made hands.
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      I think the ranges you posted are kind of reasonable, though a little optimistic. Given that he opens fairly wide and folds so little to 3bets (which is why you shouldn't 3bet T8s when you get called by all broadways), I agree that he can show up with KJo/ATo/QJo type of hands here.

However, his fold to cbet on the Flop is 57%. IMO such a player is not floating so many King highs and Queen highs on this flop. Players with 35-40% fold to F cbets are likelier to make such plays. Could be a sample issue, but still I rather use a small sample than no sample.

On the Turn I think your equity should be closer to 45-50% and not 57% which is way too high IMO. But I think you gave him too many thin value bets. I would think that T9 JT and maybe QT will often check back on the Turn for pot control and avoid facing a Turn checkraise. Also, as mentioned before you added way too many KQ KJ QJ type of hands here.