Stack sizes:
      UTG: $50.59
      UTG+1: $12.62
      Hero: $48.30
      Button: $15.79
      SB: $36.25
      BB: $19.29

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is CO with 9:heart: A:spade:
      UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, [color:#cc0000]Hero raises to $1.25[/color], 2 folds, BB calls, UTG+1 folds.

Flop: 7:spade: 6:spade: 8:club: ($2.85, 2 players)
      BB checks, [color:#cc0000]Hero bets $2.25[/color], [color:#cc0000]BB raises to $9.6[/color], [color:#cc0000]Hero raises to $19.2[/color], [color:#cc0000]BB calls all-in $8.44[/color].
      Uncalled bets: $1.16 returned to Hero.

I made my continuation bet with an OESD. When I got raised, I thought that I needed to either throw it away or push-in. My reasoning for this was that if I flat call and don’t hit on the turn he’s 90% of the time pushing in and then I have no fold equity. I thought by pushing myself I might have some fold equity, but I think folding could have been a good play as well.
  • 4 replies
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      Board is very drawy. Check behind and take free card on the flop.
      Against re-raise I would fold, you probably only have 8 outs for oesd and 1 out for runner-runner flush. If he c/r that big, he should have two pair or better.
    • Grimzor
      Grimzor
      Bronze
      I dont like making cbets with draws (monsterdraws dont count here) on such drawy boards. Especially if you are in position and its checked to you. You are likely to be reraised and will have to pay to see next card which is exactly opposite of what you want. You have strong draw but are underdog even to one pair and cant really call big reraises. If you dont check behind you risk of ruining your draw.
    • LuckFactorX
      LuckFactorX
      Bronze
      for starters I don't like raising preflop there with A9 off suit. the only hands that are going to at least call you are hands that have you dominatedlike Aj AQ A10s, mabe even a flat call from dealer with AK. it depends on the table I guess but I would not raise A9os. position mabe was your factor here but I think it is not enough. I cannot see any style of player raising here: if you are tight, A9 is purely trash and if you are loose (even aggressive), you may pick on the fact that it is better to raise with weak hands that are not easyly dominated (like suited connectors, one gappers etc.).

the call from the BB should worry you a bit. he may think you are just bullying the table(after all you have a big stack and all) but he called with one player still active (UTG+1) and out of position.

on the flop I think that a continuation bet here is not recommended. even with AA a board like that is very very UGLYand should be treated very cautiosly. what you did is priced yourself out of a possibly profitable situation. most of your opponents will raise you there with nothing assuming you have a couple of overcards and will be forced to lay your hand down. you had everithing you wanted to take a free chance of making your hand (weak starting hand) but, possibly because you were doing fine (you doubled up I see) thaught that you were the table captain and every pot is yours for the taking, you made this mistake. a continuation bet is not automatically made, you have to pick your spots carefully. a draw-heavy board is not the place to make one IMO. your opponents may be semibluffing with all sorts of hands and most of the time you will be beat and drawing dead.

a call here is only made if you wrer to get the propper odds of making your straight (you have only 6 CLEAN outs so you need at least 3 to 1 on the flop to make the call). even if you make your straight, you may be only splitting the pot.
      cheers
    • gggeorgio
      gggeorgio
      Bronze
      thanks for the comments,

i agree that i played this hand terribly postflop. Looking at it now a check behind is obviously the best play... and if I do cbet I should definitely be folding to the reraise.

To Luckfactor- as for the preflop, I'm not sure about this. I am pretty aggressive preflop and I agree that A9 is easily dominated and it's the worst ace i ever raise, and I only do it when I'll probably have position. I do try to mostly be aggressive with other hands like suited connectors etc. I find that when I'm aggressive like this then I can get payed much bigger when I really have a hand, and normally only loose small pots (unless I make really dumb postflop plays like on this hand :tongue: )