[NL20-NL50] AQo vs 4b blinds

• GingerKid
      GingerKid
      Black
      iPoker - $0.50 NL FAST (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

Hero (BB): 115.78 BB
      UTG: 581.56 BB (VPIP: 19.25, PFR: 15.71, 3Bet Preflop: 6.87, Hands: 573)
      MP: 120.28 BB (VPIP: 15.24, PFR: 13.33, 3Bet Preflop: 2.38, Hands: 106)
      CO: 119.68 BB (VPIP: 22.62, PFR: 19.61, 3Bet Preflop: 8.03, Hands: 2,103)
      BTN: 234.58 BB (VPIP: 37.50, PFR: 12.50, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 9)
      SB: 159.28 BB (VPIP: 24.80, PFR: 21.36, 3Bet Preflop: 11.65, Hands: 656)

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, Hero posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has Q:diamond: A:spade:

fold, fold, fold, fold, SB raises to 3 BB, Hero raises to 9 BB, SB raises to 20 BB, Hero calls 11 BB

Flop: (40 BB, 2 players) 7:spade: 8:club: A:club:
      SB bets 25 BB, Hero calls 25 BB

Turn: (90 BB, 2 players) K:club:
      SB bets 114.28 BB, Hero calls 70.78 BB

River: (231.56 BB, 2 players) 7:heart:

Hero shows Q:diamond: A:spade: (Two Pair, Aces and Sevens) (Pre 43%, Flop 84%, Turn 75%)
      SB shows T:club: T:spade: (Two Pair, Tens and Sevens) (Pre 57%, Flop 16%, Turn 25%)
      Hero wins 225.56 BB
      SB wins 0 BB

steal from sb 50%, 4b+ 14%. Because we are more than 100bb I didnt shove, which I usually do vs sb and bu,if they are aggro 4betters, but this time I call, because I know he is spewy in 3bet pots.
  • 5 replies
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Hey,

I don't think you are too deep to shove here but calling should be doable in a vaccuum. As played pre, postflop is fine. What I am curious about is your range in this situation for 3bet and flat a 4bet. Since it's fast fold NL50 you can probably get away with very narrow and defined range but higher youwill have trouble imo so would like to hear your thoughts and discuss that a bit more. What I think you should do for about 115-140bb stack deep is not 5bet anything if your opponent 4bets reasonably wide and just own postflop with a strong range but can definitely be convinced otherwise.
    • GingerKid
      GingerKid
      Black
      Originally posted by EmanuelC16
      Hey,

I don't think you are too deep to shove here but calling should be doable in a vaccuum. As played pre, postflop is fine. What I am curious about is your range in this situation for 3bet and flat a 4bet. Since it's fast fold NL50 you can probably get away with very narrow and defined range but higher youwill have trouble imo so would like to hear your thoughts and discuss that a bit more. What I think you should do for about 115-140bb stack deep is not 5bet anything if your opponent 4bets reasonably wide and just own postflop with a strong range but can definitely be convinced otherwise.

This was first call 4bet after a long time, I mostly 5 bet or fold, so I dont have a range.
      If we would be deep >140bb I would flat AK, QQ, and 3bet call 4bet KK, AA because I expect people to shove deep only AA, and they can bluff 4bet a lot and then spew even deep. QQ I wouldnt call 4bet because it would be difficult decision postflop, and same for AK.
      I called this time 4bet, because coatches were suggesting to call vs wide range rather than to shove, and this time it was IP so perfect for call.

Do you think it is ok to call 4bet AA,KK,QQ which have nice playability versus wide 4betters that are spewy? On other hand it is too bad if they have AK, or JJ which they call shove.
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Yeah, when 4bettors are spewy and basically either vbet anyway of bluff away stacks you get more value by flatting premiums as well. When you 5bet here 115bb deep you prob don't shove and you already look quite strong. If you get even deeper to like 130bb then you clearly are very polarised yourself and you make him fold air which can pay off postflop.

I am not totally sold on not 5betting ofc but it makes sense to call vs a very polarised and unbalanced range, unless we can make it small enough to rep a reasonably wide range to induce some lighter calls and potentially shoves. If when we 5bet we make him shove or fold we let him off quite easy. Think about your idea of calling 3bets IP instead of 4betting when just 100bb deep. The SPR is quite similar but ranges are probably even more polarised.
    • GingerKid
      GingerKid
      Black
      Originally posted by EmanuelC16
      Yeah, when 4bettors are spewy and basically either vbet anyway of bluff away stacks you get more value by flatting premiums as well. When you 5bet here 115bb deep you prob don't shove and you already look quite strong. If you get even deeper to like 130bb then you clearly are very polarised yourself and you make him fold air which can pay off postflop.

I am not totally sold on not 5betting ofc but it makes sense to call vs a very polarised and unbalanced range, unless we can make it small enough to rep a reasonably wide range to induce some lighter calls and potentially shoves. If when we 5bet we make him shove or fold we let him off quite easy. Think about your idea of calling 3bets IP instead of 4betting when just 100bb deep. The SPR is quite similar but ranges are probably even more polarised.
      I also call 3bet OOP with QQ+ if opponent is spewy. This hand i had to 3bet for value, so I could just call 4bet. I like much more in NL50 ipoker calling 3bets and 4bets with premiums than shoving, because from my experience most players dont make so many mistakes preflop (it is simpler) but postflop they are spewy.
      This guy is a nice example for spewy player postflop. He shows that once he invests preflop he cant give up hand. He has nice hand, and then tries to fold my QQ,JJ on postflop.
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      He probably also views you as super weak once you just call and don't ship which also makes it nice for you to flat all your range that can continue and never 5betting.

I definitely agree that people make bigger mistakes postflop so just go for that imo. If you see people sometimes folding you can just 4bet bluff only, they won't notice it quickly enough imo.