Tfffgb

• 7 replies
    • TFFFGB
      TFFFGB
      Basic
      Homework:

Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker?
      I like the game - the strategy, the maths, the thinking & the outleveling.
      Making money would be a bonus of course!

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker?
      I don't think I tilt too easily but I can be impatient. And I do like to see a showdown if I am in a hand.

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive?
      TAG - Play a small range of cards (be very selective) and then when you play you bet and raise.

Tomorrow I will start on the second lesson!
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by TFFFGB
      Beginners Course to NLHE.

Wish me luck :s_confused:
      Hello TFFFGB,

Welcome to the course.

For more information on each lesson please visit this link: Welcome to the No Limit Beginners Course Forums

Best of luck and keep us posted.

Bogdan
    • TFFFGB
      TFFFGB
      Basic
      Its been a while since i posted here last but I have been playing..just havent been actively learning theory which is very bad. Reading more does help you learn so mch more - and poker is getting really really much more complicated esp when it gets to post flop play. I have just got my head around pre flop play!

anyway, here is finally the next homework qu's below:

2nd LESSON HOMEWORK:
      Question 1: What do you think you could play differently than suggested in the BSS Starting Hands Chart and why?
      I think playing some A2/3 suited and some K9/10 especially if you are short stack in tournaments or sit and go's. The starting hand range is great for beginners but it does mean that you play very very tight and would be pretty easy to read.
      Also not a big fan of the small pocket pairs - unsure if one should bet 4x BB with small pairs or just call. Gut feeling is just to call and then fold if someone raises or you hit nothing on the flop.

Question 2: Do you have questions about your preflop play? Post your hand for evaluation. ( Post your hand in the Hand evaluation forums and provide a link to your hand in your private thread in the Locker Room.)
      A2os on BB

Question 3: What is the equity of AKo against the top 5% range? 5% means 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo. ( You can either calculate this yourself or use an equity calculator such as the PokerStrategy.com Equilab.)

Im also having a huge amount of trouble with this - (i must look like a fish). Firstly, I have a mac so it doesnt seem like i can use equilab. I googled some online calculators like
      http://www.cardplayer.com/poker-tools/odds-calculator/texas-holdem
      but still cannot work out how to input AKo against all the other potential combinations out there.
      Im sure theres a manual way of working it out but would that take a while? Ie AKos v 88 +AKo v 99 etc etc and then divided by the number of hands? Surely there is a better way to calculate? Need help! And yes, macbook user so any programs you can recommend would be highly appreciated.

Cheers
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Its been a while since i posted here last but I have been playing..just havent been actively learning theory which is very bad. Reading more does help you learn so mch more - and poker is getting really really much more complicated esp when it gets to post flop play. I have just got my head around pre flop play!

anyway, here is finally the next homework qu's below:

2nd LESSON HOMEWORK:
      Question 1: What do you think you could play differently than suggested in the BSS Starting Hands Chart and why?
      I think playing some A2/3 suited and some K9/10 especially if you are short stack in tournaments or sit and go's. The starting hand range is great for beginners but it does mean that you play very very tight and would be pretty easy to read.
      Also not a big fan of the small pocket pairs - unsure if one should bet 4x BB with small pairs or just call. Gut feeling is just to call and then fold if someone raises or you hit nothing on the flop.

Question 2: Do you have questions about your preflop play? Post your hand for evaluation. ( Post your hand in the Hand evaluation forums and provide a link to your hand in your private thread in the Locker Room.)
      A2os on BB

Question 3: What is the equity of AKo against the top 5% range? 5% means 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo. ( You can either calculate this yourself or use an equity calculator such as the PokerStrategy.com Equilab.)

Im also having a huge amount of trouble with this - (i must look like a fish). Firstly, I have a mac so it doesnt seem like i can use equilab. I googled some online calculators like
      http://www.cardplayer.com/poker-tools/odds-calculator/texas-holdem
      but still cannot work out how to input AKo against all the other potential combinations out there.
      Im sure theres a manual way of working it out but would that take a while? Ie AKos v 88 +AKo v 99 etc etc and then divided by the number of hands? Surely there is a better way to calculate? Need help! And yes, macbook user so any programs you can recommend would be highly appreciated.

Cheers
      Hi TFFFGB,

Congrats, homework 2 is now complete !

Q1: Ideally you do not want to use the BBS Starting Hand Charts in tournaments and sit and go's. They were made for cash games.

As far as pairs go I would recommend raising them whenever we are first to enter the pot. If someone else has entered the pot already or we have a lot of weak players that call a lot behind we can limp as well.

Q3: I cannot think about any macbook equity tools.

Generally you can estimate your equity doing it by hand however you can use this online calculator: http://www.propokertools.com/simulations

If you do it by hand you have to take each grouping and then look at the number of combos. For example, versus pairs we usually have the same equity (88-QQ), versus AJ/AQ we have a similar equity, etc.
    • TFFFGB
      TFFFGB
      Basic
      hi,

I just havea questions about the poker school tutorial:

You are dealt JK o on the button and action is folded to you. You decide to raise to $6 (three times the big blind) to pick up the blinds, but the player in the big blind re-raises to $21. You should fold, even though you have position. Your hand may be dominated.
      You have KJo again, this time in the cut off, and action is folded to you. You raise to $6 and this time the player on the button moves all in for $21. This time it is correct to call. You need to pay $15 to win $45 and odds are in your favor. You only need a 33 per cent chance of winning the hand to make this a correct decision.

I cannot for the life of me understand what the difference between the 2 scenarios are. the positions are different but i would think that when you are in the dealer position, you are stronger. So why is it in the second position you are better off to call than perviously?!

Or is it bc of the stack size? If thats the case, i do have a suggestion to make that clearer in the tutorial as there is no mention of it which can be confusing for beginners.

Cheers
    • TFFFGB
      TFFFGB
      Basic
      I found it in teh next section of the article.
      But I do suggest making a more obvious point of it in the relevant section.

Cheers
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      I found it in teh next section of the article.
      But I do suggest making a more obvious point of it in the relevant section.

Cheers
      No worries,

I will pass this on to the right people. Thank you for your suggestion.

Bogdan