[NL2-NL10] NL10 - set

• SunWukung
      SunWukung
      Bronze
      PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (9 handed) Poker Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

MP3 ($10.75)
      CO ($9.60)
      Hero ($9.70)
      SB ($5.90)
      BB ($8.35)
      UTG ($2.55)
      UTG+1 ($10.35)
      MP1 ($2.50)
      MP2 ($9.95)

Preflop: Hero is Button with J:diamond: , J:club: .
      4 folds, MP3 calls $0.10, CO raises to $0.5, Hero calls $0.50, 2 folds, MP3 calls $0.40.

Flop: ($1.65) Q:diamond: , 4:diamond: , J:heart: (3 players)
      MP3 checks, CO bets $0.6, Hero raises to $1.8, MP3 folds, CO calls $1.20.

Turn: ($5.25) 4:club: (2 players)
      CO checks, Hero bets $4, CO folds

Final Pot: $5.25

how to bet here to extract most value?
  • 10 replies
    • gggeorgio
      gggeorgio
      Bronze
      I think this is well played on the flop (you can't slow play with all the draws). The river is very good for you since you hit a full house and no longer have to protect your hand. Because of this you can bet a lot less on the turn to try and extract value, maybe a bet of something around 2.5$ or even a little less I think. If the turn had been a blank you need to bet more like you did to protect your hand.
    • Tosh5457
      Tosh5457
      Bronze
      I'd raise like $2.50 on the flop and on the turn like $3.50.
    • Alexburg
      Alexburg
      Bronze
      I think checking the turn is the best way to get value.
      If you bet the turn the CO will just fold to often.
      By checking you give the CO a chance of improving his hand to a hand that will call a bet.
      Another reason to check the turn is that you give the CO a chance to bluff on the river.

Why no 3-bet preflop?
    • Tosh5457
      Tosh5457
      Bronze
      If you check behind on the turn the pot won't be so big and if he called you on the flop he probably has Qx or a FD, and he'll call again on the turn.
    • Alexburg
      Alexburg
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Tosh5457
      If you check behind on the turn the pot won't be so big and if he called you on the flop he probably has Qx or a FD, and he'll call again on the turn.
      FD needs 4 to 1 to call on the turn and the implied odds aren't good. So i doubt if a FD would call a turnbet.

The strong Q-x hands (AQ, KQ, and QJ) would probably have 3-bet on this draw heavy board.

I doubt if someone would raise preflop and call your raise on the flop out of position with weaker Q-x hands. And if it will be hard for him to call futher bets.

The CO is most likely drawing so i really think you win the most money by checking on the turn.
    • Faye6891
      Faye6891
      Bronze
      PF is OK, you could be inclined to reraise if opponent is a loose raiser. But I also like just calling to keep the pot small, and you also got position.

Flop:
      I'd reraise to $2.90, you have a strong hand and you need to protect and build the pot, so bet strong there.

Turn:
      Don't check. IMO, that's the best way to not extract value. :D
      This is NL10, if villain has a FD or a Q he will call a bet here (he may even call it with a J), but I'd keep it smaller to make the call easier for him. I'd raise to $3.50, this way you give him odds to draw (barely, but most players won't even be counting outs) for a flush and in NL10 a Q will call you very often IMO.

You make a big mistake if you think he has a FD and you check turn, if he hits his flush on the river, you're stacking him either way. But, if he doesn't hit his flush on the river you won't be able to extract anything more from him, so you must bet turn if you want to extract the most out of a FD.
    • Tosh5457
      Tosh5457
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Alexburg
      Originally posted by Tosh5457
      FD needs 4 to 1 to call on the turn and the implied odds aren't good. So i doubt if a FD would call a turnbet.

The strong Q-x hands (AQ, KQ, and QJ) would probably have 3-bet on this draw heavy board.

I doubt if someone would raise preflop and call your raise on the flop out of position with weaker Q-x hands. And if it will be hard for him to call futher bets.

The CO is most likely drawing so i really think you win the most money by checking on the turn.
      Haha, on NL10 you get called by ace high :D
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      The way you played it is fine.
      No need to bet smaller on the turn, he won´t fold KK, AA, AQ, KQ there and betting smaller you give drawing hands better odds.
    • Alexburg
      Alexburg
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Faye6891

You make a big mistake if you think he has a FD and you check turn, if he hits his flush on the river, you're stacking him either way. But, if he doesn't hit his flush on the river you won't be able to extract anything more from him, so you must bet turn if you want to extract the most out of a FD.
      Faye you make a big mistake if you think a flush beats a fullhouse :D
    • Faye6891
      Faye6891
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Alexburg
      Originally posted by Faye6891

Faye you make a big mistake if you think a flush beats a fullhouse :D
      I never said that.

If he's drawing the best way to extract more from him is to bet while he's still drawing, if he hits his flush on the river you're stacking him regadless of what you did on the turn (bet or check), but if he doesn't hit it on the river, you can only maximize your gains by betting the turn while he's still drawing, because he won't call a bet from you on the river if he misses.

Well, actually he might call if he's on tilt (I mean, really on tilt), it happenned to me once when shoved a FH on the river and my opponent called me with a busted FD, for the remaining of his full stack on NL50, but that's something you'll hardly ever see, so just bet turn.