[NL2-NL10] J7s BB 3bet, 2 barrels

• gavinonymous
      gavinonymous
      Bronze
      1st hand played against villain on zoom.

Poker Stars, $0.05/$0.10 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players

BTN: $10.27 (102.7 bb)
      SB: $9.75 (97.5 bb)
      Hero (BB): $10.65 (106.5 bb)
      UTG: $26.77 (267.7 bb)
      MP: $17.23 (172.3 bb)
      CO: $4.89 (48.9 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 7 J
      3 folds, BTN raises to $0.30, SB folds, Hero raises to $0.80, BTN calls $0.50

Flop: ($1.65) 5 T 8 (2 players)
      Hero bets $1, BTN calls $1

Turn: ($3.65) A (2 players)
      Hero bets $2.40

3bet bluff pf. post flop I have a gutshot and not much else. Turn I think a lot can fold here, so I play bet fold. Is it spew?
  • 5 replies
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi Gavin,

Preflop: We are OOP so why we are 3-betting so small giving our opponent great odds to call wide?

We should make it at least 10 BB.

Postflop: As played your flop and turn play are fine given the board structure (as long as villain isn't a huge fish).

As a side note, when you leave a reply, don't forget to hit the advise judge to take another look button.
    • gavinonymous
      gavinonymous
      Bronze
      I looked at the pros and cons of each. I 3bet quite a bit and decided that I like the $0.80 line better.

I 3bet small because it's a cheap steal, to widen his calling range and reserve a larger stack to pot ratio.

If I raise to $1 and he calls, then pot is $2.05 I bet $1.30 and pot is $4.60 on turn.

I have $7.30 behind to get in on turn and river

Do I bet $3 on turn? leaving $4.30 behind in a $11..60 pot. Can I bet less or more on turn? If I bet more, my river bet is too small, and if I bet less I give too good a price to call or seem week and might have to fold to a raise.

By raising to $0.80, the turn is $3.65, I bet $2.40, so we have
      $8.45 pot on the river and I jam $6.80, more likely to succeed as bluff, and a decent size if I have a hand.

Thanks again for your advices.
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by gavinonymous
      I looked at the pros and cons of each. I 3bet quite a bit and decided that I like the $0.80 line better.

I 3bet small because it's a cheap steal, to widen his calling range and reserve a larger stack to pot ratio.

If I raise to $1 and he calls, then pot is $2.05 I bet $1.30 and pot is $4.60 on turn.

I have $7.30 behind to get in on turn and river

Do I bet $3 on turn? leaving $4.30 behind in a $11..60 pot. Can I bet less or more on turn? If I bet more, my river bet is too small, and if I bet less I give too good a price to call or seem week and might have to fold to a raise.

By raising to $0.80, the turn is $3.65, I bet $2.40, so we have
      $8.45 pot on the river and I jam $6.80, more likely to succeed as bluff, and a decent size if I have a hand.

Thanks again for your advices.
      What's your value 3-bet range then? If you 3-bet this hand preflop that means our 3-bet range is quite large and do you really want to play OOP with such an expanded, weaker, range?

Or are you expecting your opponents to give up way too much?

With making your 3-bet larger you also narrow your villains range considerably (in most cases) and you don't have as much guessing postflop. Also, my assumption is, that OOP, we generally have a more value heavy 3-bet range while IP we have more bluffs (so IP 80-90c would be perfectly fine).
    • gavinonymous
      gavinonymous
      Bronze
      vs BU, my value 3bet range is very wide. Anything down to Q9s, KJo depending on the opponent. So far they give up more than often enough to make it profitable no matter what the response.

I 3bet a good amount (about 12-14%), and often 5bet when I perceive they are adjusting to me, I've also begun experimenting with min 5betting, so I find keeping it small has some advantage there too..

If I go with $1.00, then SB would be the only position that I always 3bet to $1. On BB it will sometimes be $1 and sometimes $0.8 if vs. SB Everywhere else it's about $0.80 depending on action before.

I'm fairly confident in an edge postflop vs these opponents, so keeping the range wide and playing postflop with initiative and a large stack to pot ratio should be even more +EV?
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by gavinonymous
      vs BU, my value 3bet range is very wide. Anything down to Q9s, KJo depending on the opponent. So far they give up more than often enough to make it profitable no matter what the response.

I 3bet a good amount (about 12-14%), and often 5bet when I perceive they are adjusting to me, I've also begun experimenting with min 5betting, so I find keeping it small has some advantage there too..

If I go with $1.00, then SB would be the only position that I always 3bet to $1. On BB it will sometimes be $1 and sometimes $0.8 if vs. SB Everywhere else it's about $0.80 depending on action before.

I'm fairly confident in an edge postflop vs these opponents, so keeping the range wide and playing postflop with initiative and a large stack to pot ratio should be even more +EV?
      My assumption was that you are like most 10nl players. Just learning the basics and trying to move up.

From the sounds of it you seem to be above the average player so if you think that you do have the advantage then the smaller 3-bet does have a lot of value.

However, at 10nl, I think that 5-betting too much would be a leak, no matter how loose we are preflop.