when to go up a limit?

• FizzBA
      FizzBA
      Bronze
      Hi, I'm having trouble deciding when to go up a limit, i am now playing the 3.5$ 6max turbo @ pokerstars and I have a bankroll of 350~$. the thing is that when I first tried to go up from 1.5$ to 3.5 I had lots of trouble and ended up having a really bad ROI and in the 3.5$.
      Now the skill gap between the 2 isn't supposed to be great, so I thought that it was because I tried to move too fast ( moved at 100$).
      Now that I feel very comfortable in this blind level, I want to move up again, but I don't want to repeat that mistake.

So in short, how big of a bankroll do I need to move up to the 7$?

Thanks! :)
  • 8 replies
    • JimBeam1982
      JimBeam1982
      Bronze
      at least 350$ for 7.00$ Multi table tournaments. if following the Ferguson bankroll management rule.
    • Fipa87
      Fipa87
      Gold
      I'd suggest 700$+ BR for moving up to the 7$ level, just to be able to learn from your mistakes at that level, to not have to move down and rebuild again. If you're feeling comfortable at the 3,5$ level, you should get to 700$ in no time. There's no rush, take your time if you want to do things right. as for the MTTSNGs, I'd suggest a bigger BR, but I'm the conservative type.
    • ghaleon
      ghaleon
      Black
      Personally in low limits when I started I followed "50/30" BRM rule. Meaning that I took shot to next level when I had 50bin for it (for 7$ it would be 350$) and moved down if my BR run below 30bin on that limit (for 7$ below 210$). That way with 210$ there would still be decent BR for 3.5$ games. You can use something similar just to make sure you don't burn your whole BR if things start to go bad.

Also one option is to mix limits. if you have been e.g. 6-tabling 3.5$ games you could take two 7$ games and four 3.5$ game instead.

Anyway the rule I used on early times was quite aggressive so there is nothing wrong to use 100bin rule either. Basically use BRM rule that you are comfortable with. If normal 20 bin or so swings affect you much then you are probably playing on bit too high level.
    • dogma18
      dogma18
      Bronze
      I play 6 max also. From my experience there is actually quite of a difference between the $3.50s and the $7s. You need to be exploiting players tendencies a lot more. At the $3.50s you can get away with tight early/push fold strategy but at the $7s you need a gameplan.

Basically if you aren't actively thinking about things such as using big stack power, abusing regs, getting involved with weak hands early versus fish then you will need a bigger bankroll.

It all depends on your confidence as well. Instead of playing tighter when you move up you really need to be pushing every edge you can find because they are thinner.

I'd recommend mixing $3.50s and $7s for a week or two, see how things work out. if you are breakeven or better then you should be ok to take a shot at moving up providing you have at least $350
    • FizzBA
      FizzBA
      Bronze
      Thanks for all the comments, I tried the 50/30 thing, and as for now I'm pretty breakeven(2% ROI , but a sample of only 143 tournies).
      I partly agree with what you say dogma18, the bubble stage is much nastier and I feel that I don't play it very well. I feel like this is where I "lose" most of my money. The early stages of the game is very similar in my opinion.

The push/fold ranges is still the same and I use SNGwizard to improve in that aspect, but when I face an aggressive opponent in the bubble ( especially when i'm the big stack) I start making very poor plays, and I'm not really sure how to improve that.
    • dogma18
      dogma18
      Bronze
      Btw i played a few games with you yesterday, screenname is kanabal18.

If you're interested a few of us are in a skype group discussing mostly 6max sngs and other random stuff. Im transitioning to the $15s at the moment but we have guys who mix in $60s as well. Always looking to add new people to help us all :D
    • FizzBA
      FizzBA
      Bronze
      Yeah that would be awesome!

BTW I searched the games where we played and you can see how I played badly vs your trips on the bubble :)

and i gotta know what you folded when you reraised my 3bet heh
    • dogma18
      dogma18
      Bronze
      yeah we can go through past hands for sure. My skype is the same as my stars screen name so add me when you get a chance